Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Those guy are fucking sheep, useless to talk with sheep

I stopped going to that site, can't be critical of any Canon product without a fanboi jumping all over you. 

DPreview is going the same way. All i want to do is follow the testing and see what more you can get out of Canon cameras without it getting railroaded by defenders. 

Keep up the good work Andrew, lets find out how much Canon is BS'ing us. 

8 hours ago, Rob6 said:

Any chance this cfexpress to nvme ssd could work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/184438464836

Great finding, I was looking for such without success few weeks back. I guess t's about market demand versus offer!

I did similar test on my DJI Inspire 2 and I did not lost any data writing raw 5K.
I'ts also a money saver as you only buying the drive and not the card.

This is one way to solve 2 issues at once.

USD 150 if you found them online in China. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.28.29076df3HVdowO&id=626009844453

The price will be falling down as soon as competition kicks in.

aerial-vessel-picture-in-china-drone-uav-operator-photographer.jpg

dji reader.jpg

1 hour ago, visionrouge said:

Great finding, I was looking for such without success few weeks back. I guess t's about market demand versus offer!

I did similar test on my DJI Inspire 2 and I did not lost any data writing raw 5K.
I'ts also a money saver as you only buying the drive and not the card.

This is one way to solve 2 issues at once.

USD 150 if you found them online in China. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.28.29076df3HVdowO&id=626009844453

The price will be falling down as soon as competition kicks in.

aerial-vessel-picture-in-china-drone-uav-operator-photographer.jpg

dji reader.jpg

Good to know. Thanks! Which nvme do you recommend? On the r5 how would you close the card door? Do you just have to leave it open and press in some trigger somewhere to make it think it’s closed? Recording 8k raw with a backup to the Sd card would be a good option for this method to give it some reliability. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Rob6 said:

Any chance this cfexpress to nvme ssd could work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/184438464836

I wonder if a adapter like this will help to transfer some of the heat away from the body. But in general just being able to use a SSD over CFexpress would be a huge advantage $$.

Above my technical skills but here's someone that created their own adapter + DIY
https://old.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/i4082w/made_a_cfexpress_to_m2_nvme_ssd_adapter/

What about this one here?

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/angelbird-announces-cfexpress-cards.259049/#post-4113504

"NVMe is not a removable media. Thats like designing a camera for a 3.5" hard drive. They are not meant to be moved constantly.

NVMe is also very power hungry, meaning your camera would need a larger battery, a cooling system, a pcie controller and other things cameras are not designed around.
"

24 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

"NVMe is not a removable media. 

You are taking sentence out of the context.
Yes, a drive is not removable easily from the enclosure and, no you may not swap drive on the fly. It's like saying SSD are not removable media. Still, they are used everyday as removable media cause the interface is something else that what is inside the enclosure.

But this system is an enclosure for NVMe drive that will put the heat away from the card reader , allowing cheaper and very large drive capacity.
The heat generated by the card can be way easier dissipated than a CFExpress card. I actually have such enclosure for another project, it's all aluminium with a thermal pad around

And, by the way, you should talk to DJI; this is what they use on their Inspire 2 as drive.... But they change the connector type to be more sturdy.

If you look at ZITAY product, they already successfully implement such solution for black-magic camera, without a need for extra external power. (CFFast to SSD)
The product needs to be tested, but it specifically states R5 and Z6 / Z7 (and other C300 camera)
It have a screw thread to secure it to a cage. This will help dissipate heat.
And if you go for large version, it's a great option to reduce overall cost.

CFExpress card are kinda 512 GB max, with nvme you can go to 4TB for similar price. You unscrew the drive when you have 4TB of data, so, maybe one a day.

This product come with a cover to push the door switch and so let the cable going out. So the door will be open during shooting.

I have 0 test so far, but it's look great to me on the paper. I let you do some research on their website, and not just pick up sentences from a different discussion in a blog.

O1CN01Ns5RuY1s1OZacxeTd_!!1979985706.jpg

O1CN01QvoaLy1s1OZZjQ44Z_!!1979985706.jpg

O1CN01Ukvi0Z1s1OZXw4syx_!!1979985706.jpg

O1CN01nR0N4h1s1OZUNTuin_!!1979985706.jpg

On 9/12/2020 at 10:36 AM, visionrouge said:

You are taking sentence out of the context.
Yes, a drive is not removable easily from the enclosure and, no you may not swap drive on the fly. It's like saying SSD are not removable media. Still, they are used everyday as removable media cause the interface is something else that what is inside the enclosure.

But this system is an enclosure for NVMe drive that will put the heat away from the card reader , allowing cheaper and very large drive capacity.
The heat generated by the card can be way easier dissipated than a CFExpress card. I actually have such enclosure for another project, it's all aluminium with a thermal pad around

And, by the way, you should talk to DJI; this is what they use on their Inspire 2 as drive.... But they change the connector type to be more sturdy.

If you look at ZITAY product, they already successfully implement such solution for black-magic camera, without a need for extra external power. (CFFast to SSD)
The product needs to be tested, but it specifically states R5 and Z6 / Z7 (and other C300 camera)
It have a screw thread to secure it to a cage. This will help dissipate heat.
And if you go for large version, it's a great option to reduce overall cost.

CFExpress card are kinda 512 GB max, with nvme you can go to 4TB for similar price. You unscrew the drive when you have 4TB of data, so, maybe one a day.

This product come with a cover to push the door switch and so let the cable going out. So the door will be open during shooting.

I have 0 test so far, but it's look great to me on the paper. I let you do some research on their website, and not just pick up sentences from a different discussion in a blog.

O1CN01Ns5RuY1s1OZacxeTd_!!1979985706.jpg

O1CN01QvoaLy1s1OZZjQ44Z_!!1979985706.jpg

O1CN01Ukvi0Z1s1OZXw4syx_!!1979985706.jpg

O1CN01nR0N4h1s1OZUNTuin_!!1979985706.jpg

970 Evo Plus is clearly the way to go, price-wise included:

https://techtestreport.com/samsung-970-evo-vs-970-evo-plus-vs-970-pro-which-is-the-best/

BTW seems plain obvious to me, you have zero clue about to whom you addressed those words as well the intention of my post up there... I stand my prior notes to express my thanks to you, because I actually succeeded to see you adding a new post to comment it ;- )

As another note, once my 5-minutes period to edit my post is over, so...

(CONT'D)

Something to frankly annoy me is the way techie or geek people easily show a condescending tone to filmmakers when we filmmakers tend to see it in a full cooperative standpoint, even because we are who afford this whole industry to life.

There are no different sides over here, we share all the same for good.

58 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Something to frankly annoy me is the way techie or geek people easily show a condescending tone to filmmakers

I'm so sorry you feel offended by my previous post.😘
As you admit yourself not having any geek knowledge to determine the exact usage a NVMe drive; I was just trying to clarify the post you where sharing. It was, in no way, an attack to the filmmakers community that knows shit about technical stuff but still keep re-posting absurdities.

My only goal is to make this great forum a better place with my real life experience (and love.🥰)

I always had a commitment to support the filmmaker community. I can only bow to your message and ask you for ultimate forgiveness.🙏 please, please.

I hope my personal hack last Sunday, on this forum, with an easy way to reset the Canon R5 timer is enough to be absolved.

Please accept my full apologies if you felt I was having condescending tone or look like I was some kind of geek. Even if my degree was related to computer science, believe me; I have tried to stay away from techies and other complicated process my entire life. A quick fact check on my previous post and personal blog should reassure you. 
The truce is far less interesting. It's almost sad, even. 
I'm a very simple camera guy. I have been shooting only few days so far;
 made a count last year and it was just about 1,000 shooting for the past 15 years. I have put this in my humble website if you like to give a look by following my profile name. I know it's a low and this is obliviously due to my lack of skills as a cameraman too. I really sucks at everything I commit.
My client are obscure companies like Disney, IBM, Apple... as you may check. My eyes start to be full of water when writing this down. 

The "Filmmaker" title's is way beyond my reaches as my old age is now a translation of back pain and loss of eyesight.
I might be retiring without even getting the glorious title of "DoP". Ok, you are making me cry now. It was not a good idea to write about this.😢

And you know the worst of all; I don't even own a Canon R5. I had to ask for help here from a fellow member to test and validate my findings. Only this way it have been proven to work.
The saddest thing of all;I have invested on two Sony FS7's few years back and may never be able to shoot with a DSLR. I',m stuck using cine lens and other heavy gear forever.
That mean that I will not use my hack for myself and will donate the entire result to the the community I was hoping to join once. 

Thank you for listening. Here is love again ❤️💖❤️for you and the beautiful movies you have been making all over the world that I can see nowhere.

I couldn't take a proper reading yet on your post... Sunday afternoon, daylight, family journey, you know ; )

Just here to let you know I am sincerely grateful to your contribution to our craft. I don't have a R5 either for my cats and flowers but from your input, I am buying a body unit to couple extra glass, so how couldn't I express my thanks? Accept my gratitude please, oh boy, how couldn't I listen you? Isn't a forum like this one the ideal place to promote a discussion? Hard to find tiptop modders (don't call it hack) of such category to help us to break the rules of the business. Accept my hat tip or you won't help my sleep tonight with your smileys : P

I just want to have you here actively posting so mission accomplished < 3 Do not shoot before to ask, that serves for both geeks and filmmakers.

On my entries, if you'll do your search, you'll be able to find some of them in several streaming platforms if you had no luck to have a TV network to schedule it nearby you. You know the world is too big (belly button is poor as compass). Film festival circuit is a bit restricted in their selection as much as their filmmaker invitees and so on. Let alone attendees, looks like people spend more time browsing today and other minor activity than much more productive stuff indeed. I concur, fine art nobody wants to see is a common place for morons, who else? LOL : X

Let's focus on your highest ranking tips and add-ons (c'mon man, you've saved my Canon glass collection!), much appreciated for those you've teased up with your findings. I'm eager to see more from you instead. No worries, dude, all my (reciprocal) love to share with you.

PS: I solemnly declare from now on to do my committed research on your personal blog and alike, next time I will dare to claim your presence to comment another absurd opinion of some other anonymous poster here or from somewhere else! Promise made (E :- )

There's also another one I find it rather interesting straight there:

Technology over technique produces emotionless design ~ Daniel Mall

And still speaking of high rankings : D here's more valuable information on topic:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

With different results compared the 970 Evo Plus vs Rocket 4:

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Sabrent-Rocket-4-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB/m693540vsm844208

Any thoughts from real (f)actual users? : )