Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
3 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Who believes in those reviewers...? Well, I don't even bother to listen their R5 videos anymore... To have an independent voice is mandatory but also rare, unfortunately.

Hence the inverted commas.

Considering the absolute dragging that independent voices had and continue to have after raising this issue, why would they ever want to raise their head above the parapet again ?

When that proved how so many people there are that value the currency of happy feels, idolising and faux-friendship above objective reality then the only words being said with those independent voices from now on are likely to be "Alright, get the products you deserve then".

1 hour ago, FelixC said:

So have you actually seen the video from LensRental? They did a teardown of the camera and then put a thermal camera on it without the back which is the more proper way to test for temperature. The camera over heats to the point that you will exceed the maximum temperature limits of different components. Magic Lantern cannot fix a hardware issue. Extending the time limit by getting around Canon's poor lock security will damage the camera.

Really? Where's such pearl?

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Hence the inverted commas.

Considering the absolute dragging that independent voices had and continue to have after raising this issue, why would they ever want to raise their head above the parapet again ?

When that proved how so many people there are that value the currency of happy feels, idolising and faux-friendship above objective reality then the only words being said with those independent voices from now on are likely to be "Alright, get the products you deserve then".

Well, I still expect for the inventive way to look for workarounds, powered by filmmakers giving power to communities like those we've been to create also because of values such as freedom and democracy, without mention for the sake of our art and craft. 

48 minutes ago, FelixC said:

So have you actually seen the video from LensRental? They did a teardown of the camera and then put a thermal camera on it without the back which is the more proper way to test for temperature. The camera over heats to the point that you will exceed the maximum temperature limits of different components. Magic Lantern cannot fix a hardware issue. Extending the time limit by getting around Canon's poor lock security will damage the camera.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/investigating-the-canon-r5-heat-emission/#comment-5065269671

The only heat issue I see is the CF card getting hot enough to potentially harm someone when handling it(there's regulations for this type of stuff). As noted in the article, the EXIF reported a peak of around 63c, and they didn't observe any components reaching such temperature. The hottest spot was the CF slot after the update, it hit 57c and the card was 52c. The sensor was 48c. 

31 minutes ago, crazyrunner33 said:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/investigating-the-canon-r5-heat-emission/#comment-5065269671

The only heat issue I see is the CF card getting hot enough to potentially harm someone when handling it(there's regulations for this type of stuff). As noted in the article, the EXIF reported a peak of around 63c, and they didn't observe any components reaching such temperature. The hottest spot was the CF slot after the update, it hit 57c and the card was 52c. The sensor was 48c. 

Iirc, various computer graphics cards operate at well over 65 degrees C, with peak temperatures over 80 degrees C not unheard of.

So Canon is at least being very conservative in their 'safeguards'. as well as really sloppy in their management of the recovery times, because those seem entirely disconnected from the actual temperatures.

Imho, this festering uncertainly does maximal harm to Canon.

They would have been better off to say up front that the R5 was not a tool for professionals, people who should be using a C300, but just a stopgap for use in a pinch. Now there is the impression that the entire product line is an elaborate scam, with features blocked or included because of marketing dictates, rather than engineering and economics. As Intel has discovered, that approach works until it does not, but then it is a long way back... 

• Administrators

I am doing some stress tests.

No issues so far and haven't had any 'low temperature burns'...

This is the method in action during a field test...

This is a comment on Roger's heat emissions tests, my own findings, and the Canon PR remarks to Johnnie:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5-8k-stress-test-1-no-problem-with-timer-reset-so-far/

If my R5 ever ships (ordered day 1 - lol) I will keep it and keep this firmware if they ever cripple it. 
With the new firmware improvement it’ll be almost good enough for my use (very short clips) and if have an issue I can always pull the battery and start again. It sucks to do that on a 4000$ camera but for the package it offers I’ll do it.