Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

SHOCK!

Penta Pi### contacted me and said they will write about it but nothing happens.
Gerald Und### too, but so far nothing on his channel.

The new firmware V1.1.1 have more coverage even if he brings very limited functionalities. 

I can notice 2 positive articles
https://www.4kshooters.net/2020/09/09/canon-eos-r5-firmware-1-1-0-overhating-tests-and-results/
and
https://www.diyphotography.net/the-eos-r5-overheating-issue-is-solved-and-its-a-super-simple-only-slightly-hacky-workaround/

It still better than nothing!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It's a weird one.

They all covered the firmware release by Canon and the hack with the screw.

Then I think they had their fill of the subject and saw the clicks decreasing and moved on.

But DPReview, Newsshooter, CineD, you'd think they would run a story. Why not?

It's the biggest development in the whole long overheating saga!

That you can just go into the date menu, and pull the battery, and boom - no more overheating.

They are completely silent and it makes me think Canon has sent some very disapproving nods in their direction that if they cover this they will rock the boat and they won't have friends in high places any more.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

That's the new EOS R6 firmware right?

Canon Just released a Firmware V1.1.1 for R5 and R6

Be aware of possible lock down on my hack finding last Sunday.
Even if I think it will be a very fast answer to roll out a firmware in only 3 days, that's still a possibility.

At least, it may be able to do a file comparison between V1.1.0 et V1.1.1 to see what changed is any.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's a weird one.

They all covered the firmware release by Canon and the hack with the screw.

Then I think they had their fill of the subject and saw the clicks decreasing and moved on.

But DPReview, Newsshooter, CineD, you'd think they would run a story. Why not?

It's the biggest development in the whole long overheating saga!

That you can just go into the date menu, and pull the battery, and boom - no more overheating.

They are completely silent and it makes me think Canon has sent some very disapproving nods in their direction that if they cover this they will rock the boat and they won't have friends in high places any more.

I think it's a combination of point #3 (fatigue on the subject) and the slight recording-time improvements achieved with V1.1, which may have pacified some YouTuber's and R5 owners.

1 hour ago, visionrouge said:

Canon Just released a Firmware V1.1.1 for R5 and R6

Be aware of possible lock down on my hack finding last Sunday.
Even if I think it will be a very fast answer to roll out a firmware in only 3 days, that's still a possibility.

At least, it may be able to do a file comparison between V1.1.0 et V1.1.1 to see what changed is any.

The last bullet point for today's R6 1.1.1 FW release is interesting:

"The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected."

I wonder if the previous R6 firmware not only failed to displayed the available recording time when the clock wasn't set but also allowed it to bypass the thermal limits as a result.

3 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

We need to know if firmware can be downgraded in this thing. Someone needs to be saving these firmware updates in case we can. 

Fortunately, there is no way for Canon to do a Tesla style OTA 'upgrade' of the firmware, else I'd expect this hack to get disabled immediately.

Still, we may be coming to a point where Canon's most dedicated users need to wait for real world feedback before installing Canon's latest updates, or simply decline to install them, for fear that some other features get crippled.  

Is this in Canon's best interest?

• Administrators

Some observations from my test today...

I am making a video of the workaround, erm, working.

Sometimes you need two tries at the battery pull. First clock change and battery pull wouldn't reset.

At one point CFExpress overheated and started throttling so after a few seconds of 8K, camera showed "Slow write speed" error. Had to take card out and let it cool for 1-2 mins.

Be careful with those roasting hot CFexpress cards.

SDXC strongly recommended for longer recordings.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Some observations from my test today...

I am making a video of the workaround, erm, working.

Sometimes you need two tries at the battery pull. First clock change and battery pull wouldn't reset.

At one point CFExpress overheated and started throttling so after a few seconds of 8K, camera showed "Slow write speed" error. Had to take card out and let it cool for 1-2 mins.

Be careful with those roasting hot CFexpress cards.

SDXC strongly recommended for longer recordings.

I think it may be wise to switch out the cf express card with a cool one when doing this hack. If you can’t wait 2 mins. Haha. Which cfexpress card were you using @Andrew Reid? I wonder if some brands of cards throttle better than others when overheating. Haha. 

1 hour ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I havent updated the firmware yet. May do so later today.

Sure my friend, no worries, I meant the whole community of users... As Andrew said, this is something huge and people seem to not give the deserved attention to it, puzzles me : ) Looks like people are boring because there's a workaround now : D

So have you actually seen the video from LensRental? They did a teardown of the camera and then put a thermal camera on it without the back which is the more proper way to test for temperature. The camera over heats to the point that you will exceed the maximum temperature limits of different components. Magic Lantern cannot fix a hardware issue. Extending the time limit by getting around Canon's poor lock security will damage the camera.

• Super Members

Canon lost a lot of trust with the initial song and dance though @Emanuel

Based on that, if you owned an R5 and had a workaround that you were comfortable with - which Canon clearly don't want you to have otherwise they'd have never included this nonsense in the first place - would you trust them that they hadn't included something to shut the door on it ?

Let the "reviewers" who were so keen to say it didn't have a problem in the first place do extensive testing on their R5s and show the results, as its fair to say they certainly owe one to anyone who bought these cameras based on their initial "reviews".

Or, more radically, how about Canon do a livestream of their own testing to put this to bed once and for all about what they stand behind with regard to this camera's performance.

If you can do livestreams to announce and push your product specifications then you should certainly be able to do them to qualify them too.

If it turns out they are just being conservative to extend the life of the product - which is a perfectly valid stance in my opinion - then fine just demonstrate and explain that properly.