Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

Just catching up on what is probably already old news on this now.

The firmware update "fixing" overheating is exactly the sham I was saying I was wary of. Get a few youtubers with a big neon "Overheating Fixed????" in their video thumbnail and there's just enough misinformation then to keep people buying the product. After those initial first wave of remorseful people who got the thing already, of course.

Quick firmware updates that don't really change anything (Fuji XT4 IBIS anyone? IS Boost suddenly does worse than nothing? NOT fixed) and nobody's sure what to believe anymore. "Oh but I heard they fixed it?"

Hope it gets hacked to bits like the GH2 and people who have bought it get a workhorse to grow into for the next 10 years instead of buying another canon body.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The best thing you can say about Canon is they are really galvanising the community against them, into unlocking the full potential of what's on offer in terms of the amazing achievement of the engineers. Canon gives so much power to their marketing, sales and accountants - promoting them above the heads of senior engineers, and it shows doesn't it?!

• Administrators

UPDATE:

I have tried the date/time trick without defeating the battery door sensor. Just pull the battery as normal and it works.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/magic-lantern-users-create-practical-canon-eos-r5-overheating-timer-workaround/

Andrew, I have been a follower since Magic Lantern days with the 5DMK3.  I recently bought BMPCC 4K & 6K and now a Canon R5.  I want to tell you how much I appreciate all your genuine concern and hard work in getting a fix for this camera.  Though I am an attorney by day, I shoot a far amount of singer-songwriters-musicians in concert and limiting the use of the camera to 29.59 seconds is unworkable. Lets hope this limitation can be defeated also...  Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to a R5 manual from you too.   Peace,  Joe Ray Skrha, Kenai, Alaska

Canon may well neutralize this fix in their next firmware update. There is a big loss of face when  the official corporate statements are shown to be obviously false.

Ideally, this story would be picked up by some enterprising Japanese financial reporter. That is the only way to bring any real pressure to make this right.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not for me to explain, ask him. Canon did it to me as well in the past. They are very hard to communicate with.

With Tilta, I am starting to think the fan cage was a social media event to grab some attention and doesn't actually exist.

I guess what I mean is, where did you hear this. I don't believe he's mentioned it on YouTube, which is why I said I don't follow his social.

Wonderful!...I'm betting Cannot programmers just read this article and went; "Oh shit....we gotta disable this hack on the next firmware"

Cannot is not going to just sit by and watch it customers try to circumvent all their hard crippling work. Cannot marketing people want this stuff there for a reason. Enjoy the hacks while they last!

I've created a web-based javascript app that lets you quickly set the camera's clock to +1 day and -1 day to help automate visionrouge's workaround. It only works in browsers that allow you to disable CORS Policy Security. Unfortunately none of the mobile web browsers available support that option, so for now this is limited to home/office/studio use.

Here is the link to the app: http://www.testcams.com/ccapi/datehack.html

Full instructions including how to disable CORS Policy security are in the GitHub repository: https://github.com/horshack-dpreview/canondatehack.html

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Lloyd said:

This has NOT worked for me on the R6. A battery door hack/ dummy battery is needed.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24827.msg230592#msg230592

Thanks for letting us know.

Strange that it works on my EOS R5 but not the R6.

I am still on original firmware 1.0.0 by the way.

Did you confirm date with OK and exit the menu?

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oh yeah Canon are all forgiven now!

Not.

Indeed.

Great work from all the guys here, but for a professional shooting, I guess it still not acceptable to need to roll the camera until the first "overheating" warning to make the bypass procedure (and having files with +1 day in the metadata - it would be a media management caos with the files) to finally have a camera with (somewhat) safe record times.

How would be if that first run is the acting of a lifetime from the actor that you are shooting and...fake overheating signal?

Good workaraound for the people that bought the camera and could not return anymore the camera. But if I was a professional, would still finding it not acceptable.

Canon still needs to proper address this.

The CPU's topside thermal pad was still stuck to the aluminium plate in the Chinese disassembly:

1e736a899e510fb39a1c70c1ce33c895d0430c99

Continuing the disassembly, there is another thermal pad right under the CPU PCB leading heat to the larger metal plate on the underside.  In addition to the top- and bottomside plates, the copper layers of the PCB itself conduct heat from the components.

That would be great if they would properly address it... but a professional tool is the one which actually works. This business life in this industry is full of workarounds, go figure... ; )

Budget issues are much more crucial than anything else, if this saves you money you could spend in something much more expensive on their high-end, you'll professionally praise the whole thing :- )

https://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/eosd/eosr6-firm.html

OS R6 Firmware Version 1.1.1

Information posted: September 9, 2020

Firmware changes

This firmware change (Version 1.1.1) incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

It is now possible to set [Temperature rise mitigation: On] when setting to display an image by HDMI output while displaying the image on the camera screen.

When the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM is attached, the image stabilization effect of 6.0 steps *1 is realized by cooperating with the optical image stabilization mechanism of the lens .

When RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM is attached, the IS performance at the time of continuous shooting may be deteriorated with EOS R6 equipped with firmware Version 1.1.0 *2 . This phenomenon has been corrected.

Improved the control of image stabilization in the lens when shooting movies using some RF lenses.

When the display language "English" is set: The information display on the "Slow Synchro" setting screen has been corrected.

Improved the connectivity during FTP transfer.

In video recording, we have improved temperature detection and control of recordable time. In addition, by doing so, we are aiming to improve the recordable time when shooting is repeated for a short time under normal temperature environment and the power is turned off.

Corrected the phenomenon that the movie recording time is not displayed correctly if "Date/Time/Area" is not set.