Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, visionrouge said:

When the power is restored, there is the calculation to see if you have been waiting enough. But based on the old "overheat start time", not the one shifted by the time modification. BOOOOM.

Great post @visionrouge! Based on what I have been reading, does this only work when recording one big long clip and then stop recording and then do the trick to get the time back? What If I record 100 short clips of 8k raw and then it overheats and I do the trick? Would I still get the full 15+ minute back on the clock or would it go to the previous saved “overheat start time” like you mentioned which when recording short clips might only be a minute? Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Coffe said:

It seems too simple to be true. But it is. There is a camera reset procedure now. Whenever your R5, R6 is overheated, just go quickly through your date change, battery drop procedure. And your camera is back on and fully operational for all video modes. No matter what card you use.

Only if your camera surpasses 65 or maybe 70°C, that's when the real overheating warning kicks in.

The other question of course still remains - how much can or will the camera endure in long term? But as long as you use this neat trick only to get rid of the ridicously long cool down periods I'd say it's fine. 

With FW V1.1 I think the gap between how hot Canon lets the camera run and how hot the camera should run (to avoid IC longevity issues) has narrowed. Canon's original thermal management firmware implementation was quite clumsy and too coarse for lots of scenarios. They addressed some of those scenarios with better ambient temp sensor integration into the algorithm. There's still room for improvement, which hopefully Canon will do eventually. Until then I think the new workaround is a great stopgap, including for situations where you absolutely have to get the shot and don't care about an occasional short-term temperature spike. 

25 minutes ago, Rob6 said:

Great post @visionrouge! Based on what I have been reading, does this only work when recording one big long clip and then stop recording and then do the trick to get the time back? What If I record 100 short clips of 8k raw and then it overheats and I do the trick? Would I still get the full 15+ minute back on the clock or would it go to the previous saved “overheat start time” like you mentioned which when recording short clips might only be a minute? Thanks!

Works too. I didn't do 100 clips, just 12.

1 hour ago, Coffe said:

Works too. I didn't do 100 clips, just 12.

Thanks! I guess the burning question to answer now is what temperature is safe for the camera to operate at for a long time? 70 c? I guess it depends on the cpu, but all cpus are safe to operate at different temperatures I think, right? We may never know. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Coffe said:

Only if your camera surpasses 65 or maybe 70°C, that's when the real overheating warning kicks in.

Sure about this? Has this been tested? The real overheating warning past 65C that is?

65C still seems too low for a shutdown.

I didn't think there was a 'real overheating' warning at this level.

Seems solved, then?

With the last updated firmware version?

Won't they cut it with a next update?

If so, this is TRULY remarkable and I think it's fair this camera may happen to be connected for good reasons with this web corner in a positive manner now : ) Made history, pretty revolutionary device... :- )

The most tasteful achievements are often harder to get and the most laborious to make a special course of its/their own ; ) At least, they give you a chance to be helpful to your community in a different tone the good boys seem not prone to let it happen ;- )

EOSHD forum/blog are part now of this (unique and) outstanding process if we get a way to arrive well in the end, we all hope : )

Well, I love mods though, part of the business.

This is our add-on, if not what we're doing as players of the craft there? : P

This industry is made of solutions found by men and women, not only bills paid to buy gear.

I don't mind when there's a happy end to such plot, offers a value added to a different level of expertise like yours or Magic Lantern guys or some others to give sense of what a community of users means, I praise the fact anyways. This is a democratic new form to live filmmaking and technology in general. Glad to be alive and kicking these days! :- ]

• Administrators

I don't really understand what you are saying.

Anyway, yes it's great that the community and individual users put in the hard work and came up with a workaround so you can feel better about giving $4000 to Canon now... a company that in my opinion lied to their customers, refused to apologise, refused even to acknowledge anything was wrong. They are not off the hook. An official fix and apology is the only path back for them in my eyes, and whatever little reputation their sales & marketing people have left in terms of honesty.

In my opinion they knew they'd played fast and loose with consumer law as well - which in my opinion was what the latest firmware update was all about - ensuring that they couldn't be sued in a class action by not measuring temps in the first release of the camera. In my view, the second firmware adds the temps into the mix in a pretty superficial way just so they can claim it's actually about temperature and thermal protection!

Disgusting behaviour!

Let's never lose sight of that and stop demanding that they come clean.

• Administrators

It is a standing on the shoulders of giants effort - as a1ex said on the ML forum.

I don't think it's helpful for any individual to claim the plaudits.

People should be careful about making money from information that should be freely shared.

And people should rightfully feel miffed if their groundwork, effort and graft is not acknowledged or credited in later discoveries...

Because it's all a collaborative chain.

Anyway the most important thing is that it progresses towards a usable solution, as is happening...

Meanwhile Canon continue to blank us and in the case of Gerald Undone after his review which covered overheating in-depth, completely ghost him.

Meanwhile a site like DPReview which has toed the PR line and not contributed anything to the discourse, get rewarded with thousands of USD via marketing agreements and sponsored content like the EOS R6 video today.

Fair?

No. On ethical grounds I will be very reluctant ever to buy another Canon product again.

Hope the positive side will play a trump over, I mean this one here haha ; ) This is not a Canon camera series anymore ; ) but the credits are half part of this community, you included : ) I will never forget it when I'll be using my R5 to come. I want to believe the same for every user who will end to read this workaround in these pages as well.

Long life to free press !

E :- )

The digital world is a giant step in the history of the humankind and this story is the finest proof of it.

It's a collective effort to prove we consumers together are stronger than corporations when there is a cooperative process as basis. Reason why we must invariably focus on a common goal rather than mere trivia. We can only risk to succeed when then.

Ethics apply, of course, but remember they also vary accordingly the angle from. Hence we have to know very well where we are and what position we stand.

- E.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oh yeah Canon are all forgiven now!

Not.

We like the Camera now. Not Canon.

About real overheating: Can't say for sure yet, but I guess it kicks in around 75. But it doesn't shut off at that temeperature. Only gives you a warning. I'm not so adventurous yet to go past 75°C 

Anyway, yes it's great that the community and individual users put in the hard work and came up with a workaround so you can feel better about giving $4000 to Canon now... a company that in my opinion lied to their customers, refused to apologise, refused even to acknowledge anything was wrong. They are not off the hook. An official fix and apology is the only path back for them in my eyes, and whatever little reputation their sales & marketing people have left in terms of honesty.

Dear Andrew. Thank you for this site, offering a platform for open and honest exchange. Thank you for your courage, intelligence, and sharing. People who are able to escape serfdom are rare, and most stay silent in a mix of fear and smugness.

Most customers don't even care that they are sold mobile phones with built-in expiration (planned obsolescence, battery can't be replaced), making them pay thousands every few years to buy more or less the same over and over.

In my opinion they knew they'd played fast and loose with consumer law as well

Are you aware that Canon was fined millions for violating antitrust laws in the EU ...

European Commission, Press release, 27 June 2019, Brussels

Mergers: Commission fines Canon €28 million for partially implementing its acquisition of Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation before notification and merger control approval

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_19_3429

and in the USA ?

USA Department of Justice, Monday, June 10, 2019

Canon Inc., Toshiba Corporation Agree to Pay $5 Million for Violating Federal Antitrust Laws

Canon and Toshiba failed to observe the required waiting period in Canon’s $6.1 billion acquisition of Toshiba’s Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/canon-inc-toshiba-corporation-agree-pay-5-million-violating-federal-antitrust-laws

Canon is one of the big corporations in a world currently ruled by unrestrained and unaccountable centralised power. They absolutely don't care about laws or customers.

Meanwhile a site like DPReview which has toed the PR line and not contributed anything to the discourse, get rewarded with thousands of USD via marketing agreements and sponsored content like the EOS R6 video today.

Fair?

No. On ethical grounds I will be very reluctant ever to buy another Canon product again.

Andrew, people like you are rare. Just about four percent of the population guide their actions based on ethics and forgo own advantages in favour of the common good. Most are manipulated like zombies, through social media, media, authorities, schools and the opinions of their peers. Great that you attracted a few independent and generous thinkers here.

Meanwhile Canon continue to blank us and in the case of Gerald Undone after his review which covered overheating in-depth, completely ghost him.

This is the second time I've see a reference to Canon ghosting Gerald after his review, which was actually pretty neutral to Canon, if clear-headed about who wouldn't want to buy these cameras. I watch G's videos, but don't follow him on other social media. Care to explain more what happened?

• Administrators

Not for me to explain, ask him. Canon did it to me as well in the past. They are very hard to communicate with.

With Tilta, I am starting to think the fan cage was a social media event to grab some attention and doesn't actually exist.