IR Wildlife Camera

Anaconda_

Hey guys,

I'm just starting to shoot a fully self funded documentary, and after filming a preliminary interview with my subject, it's clear that I'm going to need to film some late night wildlife - badgers and foxes etc. Therefore, I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive wildlife camera - preferably with a PIR to detect movement and only film when there's something to see. 

Does anyone know of something suitable. From my own, limited research, I think this seems pretty good, but before committing, I figured some other opinions would be nice.

https://nedis.com/en-us/product/photo-video/cameras/action-cameras/550707449/hd-wildlife-camera-16-mp-5-mp-cmos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a couple of these out in the woods right now:

https://www.reconyx.com/product/XR6-UltraFire-High-Output-Covert-IR

A client I'm working with on a series of social media shorts sent these to me just for fun. He's using them on another project, a long-form doc on forest recovering from wildfires that has funding from Nat Geo. I suspect the images is about as good as you can get out of a trail cam.

9 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Thanks man. I’m sure it’s great quality! Little over what I was hoping to spend though. But thanks for the tip. 

I feel you. I have them because the guy is so obsessed with trail camera footage he volunteered to send me them just so he could get whatever footage I send him. Self funding a project can get expensive.

I'm curious about what your doc is about, seeing as it has a wildlife angle. Also, what are your distribution plans? Are you hoping to recoup your investment on this and the value of your time? 

17 hours ago, EphraimP said:

m curious about what your doc is about, seeing as it has a wildlife angle. Also, what are your distribution plans? Are you hoping to recoup your investment on this and the value of your time? 

It's not really a wildlife doc. With no spoilers - There's a person I've met, who under quite strange circumstances, was given some wasteland / fly tipping hotspot in the 1970s for free from the government. It's now worth many millions of euros to developers wanting to build housing, but he's refusing to sell, even creating plans after his death to stop any form of development on the property. Since he's had it, he's cleaned it up the land and wildlife in the area has surged. I was hoping I could film the foxes and badgers that have returned. He knows every inch of the land with his eyes closed, so could help me rig up a camera at a badger's den for example. 

As for distribution and recouping any money - I'm not really thinking that far ahead. There's a big story to tell and it's going to take at least a year of filming with him every week to get all of the information. Then of course, there's editing it into a nice chunk with a story arc. Once the project is coming to the end, I'll worry about that. My day job is also camera / editing related, so this is just a project on the side for now.