What Olympus Lenses Are You Buying Before They (MIGHT) Disappear Forever?

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i have the 15mm but i have also found a ex display em10 mark ii.  Just waiting for them to get back to me with a shutter count and i may buy that as the mark 2 has a remote wired port thats more useful to me than the mark 3 

I have the 15mm Bodycap lens but only to use on my FF A7s!

I have a couple of my late Dad's four thirds high grade zooms....both have known problems that affected them often to the point one will likely just be thrown away and the 50-200 I can at least use wide open (currently ALSO just on my FF Sony).

MOST Oly lenses will get very cheap very quick IF M43 becomes abandoned.    IF Oly goes but Panasonic stays, the Pro lenses and a few others like the 75 1.8 MIGHT hold their value at least (there are a lot of 75s comparatively cheap on Ebay already though).

Olympus has had a habit of putting out a few very nice lenses along with the run of the mill and have ALWAYS done so....EG the OM 350 2.8 and OM 250 f2 and the four thirds 150 f2 and 300 2.8 and the two f2 zooms and the 90-250 2.8 (They ALL still sell for a LOT).

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Imagine if metabones made a speedbooster for four thirds to MFT. 

Never mind that, just an non speedbooster smart adapter for four thirds lenses to Sony E would do me since some of those old four thirds lenses cover APSC without vignetting so an automatic one stop speed boost in effect (I know not really but sort of).

Now that IS do able though unlikely since maybe I would be the only one wanting it.

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Imagine if metabones made a speedbooster for four thirds to MFT. Not sure if it’s technically possible, given four thirds is 38.67mm and MFT is 19.25mm.

No, because the image circle for FT and MFT is the same. (hence the name!)

I really like the look of the Pro primes as well, but without a manual aperture dial they're pretty much useless for me.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe from John Brawley, who remains an Olympus Ambassador) that there are no plans to stop production of Olympus lenses and the new lenses in the pipeline will still be developed. We'll see.

I use the 17 f1.2 a lot. The lens is great and I love the manual focus.

The only thing that bugs me is that my Canon 40mm f2.8 is 1/3 of the weight, 1/6 of the price, is sharper, and gives me pretty much the same field/depth of view on a full frame Canon.

It doesn't take away the fact that the Olympus on my GH5 currently gives me the best video quality I'm able to produce, but makes me hesitant to buy more Olympus lenses since I've got the R5 ordered.

Sources:

https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1082-olympus17f12

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/752-canon_40_28_ff

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

No, because the image circle for FT and MFT is the same. (hence the name!)

That is true in theory but SOME four thirds lenses seem to definitely have a larger image circle (or maybe it is ONLY the 50-200 SWD).

That lens covers APSC without vignetting at every focal length at least (and is not THAT far off covering FF at 50 and 200mm) so a focal reducer would work for THAT lens anyway.

Question is, how many others do?

2 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

The only thing that bugs me is that my Canon 40mm f2.8 is 1/3 of the weight, 1/6 of the price, is sharper, and gives me pretty much the same field/depth of view on a full frame Canon.

It doesn't take away the fact that the Olympus on my GH5 currently gives me the best video quality I'm able to produce, but makes me hesitant to buy more Olympus lenses since I've got the R5 ordered.

Sources:

https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1082-olympus17f12

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/752-canon_40_28_ff

Have you tried the 40 2.8 STM on M43?     I used one with a Kipon smart adapter (non focal reducer) on a GX7 and it made a great portrait combination with ok AF (after a firmware update for the Kipon) for photography (mf for video but I never tried that).

17 hours ago, noone said:

Have you tried the 40 2.8 STM on M43?     I used one with a Kipon smart adapter (non focal reducer) on a GX7 and it made a great portrait combination with ok AF (after a firmware update for the Kipon) for photography (mf for video but I never tried that).

I don't see any reason to use it for photography on M43 when I have a full frame Canon body to use it on. As much as I love my GH5, I don't use it for photography because I'm always disappointed when I compare it to full frame.

I tried it just now with the Viltrox non-speedbooster, but even if the manual focus was more usable, it's simply too noisy. I have several  50mm lenses with manual focus/focus clutch I would rather adapt for video.

4 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I don't see any reason to use it for photography on M43 when I have a full frame Canon body to use it on. As much as I love my GH5, I don't use it for photography because I'm always disappointed when I compare it to full frame.

I tried it just now with the Viltrox non-speedbooster, but even if the manual focus was more usable, it's simply too noisy. I have several  50mm lenses with manual focus/focus clutch I would rather adapt for video.

Fair enough.     I used Canon lenses in part because they were so adaptable and that 40mm was very different on M43 to using it FF so did double duty.    I never tried the lens for video on FF or M43.      

Just looking on Ebay for cheap four thirds DSLR lenses to try and adapt.

Seems to me Four thirds did not have very many lenses really.    There are many of the two versions of the 40-150 lenses and many of the 43 kit lenses.     The super high grade lenses (like the f2 zooms and the 150 f2 and the others) are rare and expensive.     

The high grade lenses mostly consist of the 12-60 and 50-200 (that I have already, both with common issues).

They would have had almost no fastish primes if not for Sigma (and I think the Sigma lenses are just modified larger sensor lenses and some of Olympus own lenses were modified Sigmas also).   There is one fast and expensive Pana Leica 25 1.4.

There are one or two macro primes (the 50 f2 high grade macro interests me but it is focus by wire so maybe not...adapting to Sony as MF lenses)

It almost looks like Oly went from one extreme to the other when changing form 43 to m43.