BMPCC Audio input question

Jeremy Clark

I'm contemplating getting a 4k or 6k (still weighing pros and cons), but one thing I'm trying to sort out is audio. 

I mostly do corporate shoots where I Lav someone up, when its a single mic, no problem (Sennheiser avx-mke2). However, its not uncommon that I'll have 2 people mic'd on screen for a tandem presentation, and its often out in the field and I'm running solo, so I lav mic em both vs trying to run a shotgun. 

It looks like I could run one of the Mics into the mini XLR (XLR -> Mini XLR adapter) and the other into the 1/8" mic in (XLR -> 1/8" adapter) and select separate recording channels for each in the camera. Is that the case? Any major issues I'd be running into (other than where to put the things?). I'd rather do this than add another piece of battery powered hardware to the rig, but I'm open to options. 

Thanks all! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
7 minutes ago, Jeremy Clark said:

It looks like I could run one of the Mics into the mini XLR (XLR -> Mini XLR adapter) and the other into the 1/8" mic in (XLR -> 1/8" adapter) and select separate recording channels for each in the camera. Is that the case?

Yes, it has all the flexibility that you need in terms of routing inputs to channels and setting individual levels to do that.

The 3.5mm jack is stereo so you can choose either channel to route to Channel 2 or a mono mix of the both.

697605515_ScreenShot2020-08-24at23_09_48.png.fc46c7451c03acd3c2846ed38e591df4.png

2045343292_ScreenShot2020-08-24at23_10_09.png.023d8b0afba1d127bd934e641bfafb80.png

I've done this a few times, it works well and I've not noticed any quality difference between the channels. That's not to say they're equal, but any differences there are, aren't an issue.

I seem to remember the XLR being slightly louder than the 3.5mm even when both mics were the same make a model and the input level was set the same. This could be to do with placement or the levels at which the talent were speaking, but thought it'd be worth noting.

On option I've started to consider is to use this to run both channels through the 3.5mm.

https://www.saramonicusa.com/products/sr-ax100 - it doesn't need any power, and is kind of small.

The only real advantage though, is hardware knobs - I'm not a fan of touchscreen stuff.

The BMPCC 4K & 6K have good audio inputs.  I shoot and record separately.  I shoot a lot of concerts and festivals and always carry a Sound Device 744H or MixPre3 and record off the board.  This can be done the same way by running both Lav mics into the recorders directly while running a scratch audio off the cam.  It will take 5 minutes to sync in FCPZ or Resolve with 24 bit 192 sampling audio for your final project...  Hope this helps...  Joe Ray Skrha