Monitoring headphones

zerocool22

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 minutes ago, kaylee said:

does anyone else hate wearing over the ear headphones for long periods of time like me??? 

When dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was starting off as a tape op, Beyer DT100s were all a boy needed and I used to wear them all day long.

I use Audio Technica ATH-M50s now and I can still do fairly long stretches with them but the DT100s still edge it for me in terms of duration.

I don't like the way either option messes up my bouffant though.

Am I wrong to think that a pair of earbuds is pretty sufficient for monitoring small crew run and gun audio. I usually use a pair of EarPods and I am always able to pick up the usual - LAV mic scratch, line noise, loud fans, etc. I have found that larger studio headphones are almost too revealing and leave me being overly obsessive with things that are beyond my control.

I've shot 100s of interviews like this and have never heard any complaints when we send it off for a mix. 

Here's a BTS from Cartel Land. If you're running around with a camera, you're bound to get the headphones sweaty and you'll end up with irritated ears. It all depends what you're shooting I suppose. 

matthew-heineman-headshot-copy.jpg

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

ha! Fair point, but then again for cameramen it kinda makes sense as for them sound is (unfortunately) a low priority so minimal earbuds is an appropriate match for what they want/"need". 

Earbuds are not very good for the ear in general. I do not use them!