Monitoring headphones

zerocool22

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

These are my favorite budget headphones. They're bluebooth and also have a 1/8" jack if you lose power or want/need to be wired. They a little bass heavy and not amazing in accuracy, but great for reference. They're closed back, and have surprisingly decent sound isolation for the cost. They aren't silent, but there's a considerable dB drop. Get a long (6-10') 1/8" stereo cable with them so you have room to move around. 

I use them for:

• Music/Computer
  • Filming/Broadcast
  • Mowing/Weedeating (blocks out external noise well enough for me to comfortably listen to music/podcasts, but can still hear outside in case someone's yelling for me or there's a problem with mower. Lol)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAJGGA2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

27 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Thanks any recommendations with a mic, which can come in handy for gaming? Or are there no mini jack headsets with a mic as well(usb maybe) so it has a usb and mini jacl line?

I don't really do any headset gaming (just use the headphones so I don't bother others), but this headset does have a built in mic. I haven't really tested it, but have taken phone calls on it/used siri without issues.

Cheapest and classic option are the Sony 7506. I have a few cans now, but I always do a job or two with the Sony.

They are perfect as a middle solution as they are not flat like other pro headphones.

If you do not understand why you need different cans than a gaming headset, then buy whatever.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Cheapest and classic option are the Sony 7506. I have a few cans now, but I always do a job or two with the Sony.

They are perfect as a middle solution as they are not flat like other pro headphones.

If you do not understand why you need different cans than a gaming headset, then buy whatever.

Well it doesnt have a mic for one. And what I could tell from this comparison it aint that bad. https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-headphones/sony-mdr-7506-vs-logitech-g-pro-gaming-headset/

• Administrators
On 8/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, zerocool22 said:

Hello,

Is there anybody here that uses their gaming headset for audio monitoring (zoom h6 for example). Looking to buy a new one, but was thinking about buying one that I could use on my pc for gaming/editing but also onset for audio monitoring?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

It's a bad idea because a gaming headset isn't designed to be neutral, it is very coloured with the bass, mids and highs dialled in a certain way. So it is a bit like doing colour grading on an inaccurate monitor. You will compensate for those inaccuracies and the image will be completely off on everybody else's screens.

So don't do it and get Beyerdynamic closed back monitoring headphones DT770 Pro.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNAAI/ref=sxin_7_ac_d_rm?ac_md=2-2-ZHQgNzcwIHBybw%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=dt+990&dchild=1&keywords=dt+990&pd_rd_i=B0016MNAAI&pd_rd_r=147e029d-898b-463f-bf5d-19b242fe94ba&pd_rd_w=PDtZg&pd_rd_wg=AEx06&pf_rd_p=0c799c14-fd2d-4652-a647-3581649b0ff7&pf_rd_r=CVZMDQH8EJEEXMH844XT&psc=1&qid=1598619207&sr=1-3-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4

If you mix in a quiet place use the open back version DT 990 for even better reference sound quality.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Thats not really technical feedback where I or anybody else can learn anything from. 

"If you do not understand why you need different cans than a gaming headset, then buy whatever"

I thought we are a video forum, if someone can not distinguish the needs of a video maker and that of a gamer, then how can I be helpful?

And I quote my self again

"They are perfect as a middle solution as they are not flat like other pro headphones."

As I have already told you, they are the most "colored" of the pro headphones, so can be used for listening music and playing games and still is a pro production tool.

I am just repeating my previous comment with more words.

44 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

"If you do not understand why you need different cans than a gaming headset, then buy whatever"

I thought we are a video forum, if someone can not distinguish the needs of a video maker and that of a gamer, then how can I be helpful?

And I quote my self again

"They are perfect as a middle solution as they are not flat like other pro headphones."

As I have already told you, they are the most "colored" of the pro headphones, so can be used for listening music and playing games and still is a pro production tool.

I am just repeating my previous comment with more words.

You know, its possible to have an conversation without sounding like a arrogant pr**k.

14 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Well it doesnt have a mic for one. And what I could tell from this comparison it aint that bad. https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-headphones/sony-mdr-7506-vs-logitech-g-pro-gaming-headset/

The "ModMic" is popular with many Production Sound Mixers so they can easily use their existing "industry standard" headphones with coms to talk to their boom op:

https://antlionaudio.com

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

You know, its possible to have an conversation without sounding like a arrogant pr**k.

He's just stating the facts. Don't attack him for that. 

The title of the thread is "Monitoring Headphones", if I was about to talk about real monitoring headphones I wouldn't be helpful to you at all, because you obviously do not want one.

I tried to give you the option of a "colored" sounded pair of headphones so you can do more things than just monitoring video sound and I believe is a golden compromise between everything, mind you that I use my Sennheiser and BeyerDynamics on the field and others when mixing home, others when listening to music, e.t.c and the Sony just rarely anymore,

Maybe you just need gaming headphones and you are asking on the wrong forum.

Yall. Chill out. Its just a dude looking for something multipurpose, not professional critical listening. I'm reasonably sure he's not on set as a main audio guy, just needs decent headphones he can hear basic levels/quality with and still game with too. 

zerocool - you'll be fine for general use, but I am quite certain those headphones will not be at the same quality as the Sony if that's of any concern.  I also use the same model Sony as my main headphones, But the $30 Bluetooth model I showed you still works great for me in a pinch, even though I know the sound is not as accurate as my sonys.