My Canon EOS R5 recording 8K video 50 minutes straight

Andrew Reid

lol, I’m not apologizing for anything. I would never buy this camera or the r6 in it’s current state.

I’m pointing out holes in yours and others logic or lack thereof.

Yes, they work for a company but they have shown to be hard on companies about issues. You can choose to ignore what I said and what they said in the July 9th video all you want.

Andrew sells his own presets here, does that mean you don’t trust him to review someone else’s? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So getting back to the camera...I don't think there is any viable workaround and Canon's not going to give you much. I stated earlier today, I've given up hope to make this into a decent video camera. Here's why:

• Pulling the battery, segmenting clips using FAT32 is useful for confirming that the camera really can work for extended periods w/o overheating but it's not a viable workaround. Doesn't seem to work with CFast either.
  • Magic Lantern - Canon has changed things up making it more difficult to boot the added firmware, let alone decode. Probably not impossible, but a lot of work will need to be done. Then even if you can create workarounds, Canon could potentially sue.

I've enjoyed the work that some many have done on this to reveal the Canon Cripplehammer but it's probably time to close up shop and move on.

Thoughts?

CR just posted about another upcoming FW update confirmed by Canon:

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Canon Log 3 option

Lower bitrate option for 5.5K RAW video recording

Lower bit rate option for all IPB video recording modes

Canon EOS R5

Canon Log 3 option

Lower bit rate option for 8K RAW video recording

Lower bit rate option for all IPB video recording modes

Addition of the 119.88 fps option for Full HD (1080p) recording

24 minutes ago, ajay said:

So getting back to the camera...I don't think there is any viable workaround and Canon's not going to give you much. I stated earlier today, I've given up hope to make this into a decent video camera. Here's why:

• Pulling the battery, segmenting clips using FAT32 is useful for confirming that the camera really can work for extended periods w/o overheating but it's not a viable workaround. Doesn't seem to work with CFast either.
  • Magic Lantern - Canon has changed things up making it more difficult to boot the added firmware, let alone decode. Probably not impossible, but a lot of work will need to be done. Then even if you can create workarounds, Canon could potentially sue.

I've enjoyed the work that some many have done on this to reveal the Canon Cripplehammer but it's probably time to close up shop and move on.

Thoughts?

Why is the FAT32 workaround not viable? The only situations it's not suitable are video modes where the data rate is too high for SD cards, like 4K120P and raw shooting.

27 minutes ago, horshack said:

Why is the FAT32 workaround not viable? The only situations it's not suitable are video modes where the data rate is too high for SD cards, like 4K120P and raw shooting.

When I mean viable, I mean in a real-world professional use setting. I just couldn't phantom a wedding videographer, preformatting their chips in FAT32 using Linux or some 3rd party software, then record x-amount of footage, then making sure they record enough extra footage so that what they want to keep makes it to a recorded block of data before pulling the battery. That's not viable IMHO.

And for myself personally, I do mostly wildlife shooting and use 4k120P quite often. I also leave cameras running to catch a particular moment when the subject does something of interest. But, that is just my personal use.

3 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Battery pull thermal timer workaround still works.

Not sure what witchery is going on now but if you want to keep your battery pull abilities Hold off on updating.  It seemed to work when I tried  a few times earlier, but after using the R5 throughout the day trying different modes... dont update, and if you did... MY BAD.

1 hour ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Not sure what witchery is going on now but if you want to keep your battery pull abilities Hold off on updating.  It seemed to work when I tried  a few times earlier, but after using the R5 throughout the day trying different modes... dont update, and if you did... MY BAD.

It works... Not sure what was going on. I needed to confirm a few more times. Anyone that updated can follow this up to echo but seems like its ok.

I am lost now, my friend : ) Is the new firmware update safe then? I am in the market to commit the sacrilege to probably buy one... I'm sorry I can't resist with an effective mod on the corner ; ) The hybrid shooter inside me begs for it! LOL

8K / 4K 120fps / IBIS / AF combo is too much... to resist quiet! : D

14 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I am lost now, my friend : ) Is the new firmware update safe then? I am in the market to commit the sacrilege to probably buy one... I'm sorry I can't resist with an effective mod on the corner ; ) The hybrid shooter inside me begs for it! LOL

8K / 4K 120fps / IBIS / AF combo is too much... to resist quiet! : D

Hahaha. I was lost too. I sent you a PM about it. Something was going on with the Sanddisk card I was using. The R5 gave some read errors a couple times, I reformatted, and it would work on and off but it was a really old card. I switched back to my Prograde cards and everything was fine. I don't know honestly will test more to solidify all this.

• Administrators

The changed encryption on this latest firmware means Magic Lantern will likely not be able to crack it open and explore, and will instead dump the original firmware to investigate a fix - any fix may only be compatible with that one.

Can you roll back to previous version?

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The changed encryption on this latest firmware means Magic Lantern will likely not be able to crack it open and explore, and will instead dump the original firmware to investigate a fix - any fix may only be compatible with that one.

It is possible on older cameras. I rolled back my 6d to install magic lantern. 

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Since you can't download version 1.0, it's not possible to downgrade. Once 1.2 arrives, we will know if downgrade (to 1.1) is still possible. But I guess they can always block it if they really want to. Biggest danger is if they ever disable or protect the UART port on the camera. If they do, there is no peaking inside.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

yeah which might also mean newer camera's are going to get shipped with a newer firmware version. So these first batches might be a unicorn.