My Canon EOS R5 recording 8K video 50 minutes straight

Andrew Reid

33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Jordan has no honour in this whatsoever, a bit like the Canon people responsible for and complicit in lying to customers.

Can't trust a word Jordan or Chris say after they completely glossed over the overheating issues in their first 'reviews' of these cameras.

It would have been completely obvious within minutes that shooting stills affects the video modes. They said nothing. It would blindindly obvious the BS 'cool down' times were far too long. Again they said nothing.

This pair of shills were happy to pull the wool over prospective customers eyes, just click the affiliate link below.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon gave R5 owners 5 whole minutes of extra potential recording time - they're clearly listening to customer feedback reaching Fuji level firmware improvements.

Sarcasm.

The DPreview video has the same results after shooting still photos, pretty much confirms its all artificial limitations. You have to wonder if they would have even done this without all the backlash and those looking into the issue. Keep holding their feet to the fire.

Chris

I'm afraid Canon also addresed the "fix" for virtually unlimited recording time you guys found by removing the battery and placing the little screw on the card door. Or was it by removing the little clock battery in the R5? I get confused. The new firmware states: 

• The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.

An invisible crackdown on moders? Note this is the last weasel-bulletpoint in the firmware description.

6 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Why you keep posting it on dpreview and not here? Just curious 

Only because it's the home base for my camera-related tech posts for the past 12 years. I started my involvement in the R5 technical investigation there so it would be odd to not continue the discussion there.

Not the least bit surprised. Canon went through all this trouble to cripple the camera, they weren't going to suddenly remove all those limitations. What they did is loosen the cripple leash a tiny bit, just in order to appear to be doing something in the right direction. I'm betting they'll be unlocking it little by little during the products life cycle. Expect decent HQ recording times in a year or two. Sad state of affairs for early adopters..

17 minutes ago, Vinicius Zucareli said:

Has someone (Hoka Key?) confirmed they patched the holes you guys found? 

Namely battery door and external recording?

Hoka didn't try the hack on the original firmware so someone else will need to check if it's been patched. Hopefully Canon didn't have time to do so since it only started being widely discussed over the past few days. I'm guessing the firmware they released today has been in regression testing for at least a few weeks and they wouldn't want to make a last-minute change to patch the hole.

3 minutes ago, horshack said:

Only because it's the home base for my camera-related tech posts for the past 12 years. I started my involvement in the R5 technical investigation there so it would be odd to not continue the discussion there.

I see. I was just wondering because they seem much more interested in the photography side of these hybrid cameras and the community here is much more interested in the video so after the first link I was like why am I keep being sent to dpreview. Anyway thanks for the answer.

10 minutes ago, Django said:

Not the least bit surprised. Canon went through all this trouble to cripple the camera, they weren't going to suddenly remove all those limitations. What they did is loosen the cripple leash a tiny bit, just in order to appear to be doing something in the right direction. I'm betting they'll be unlocking it little by little during the products life cycle. Expect decent HQ recording times in a year or two. Sad state of affairs for early adopters..

Canon is never going to fully unlock the potential of the R5/R6 since they are going to upsell you on RF cine cameras, EF cine cameras or higher end (and more expensive) versions of the R series (R1) later on down the road.

Canon deeply, down to their bones, believe in product segmentation. They think that if you want higher end features, be it photography or video features, you will need to pay for them, and they design their entire product line to reflect that.

1 hour ago, Davos said:

Can't trust a word Jordan or Chris say after they completely glossed over the overheating issues in their first 'reviews' of these cameras.

It would have been completely obvious within minutes that shooting stills affects the video modes. They said nothing. It would blindindly obvious the BS 'cool down' times were far too long. Again they said nothing.

This pair of shills were happy to pull the wool over prospective customers eyes, just click the affiliate link below.

The blind zealotry of this place reminds me reduser. The first review Chris and Jordan posted has overheating in the title and is heavily highlighted in the video. *You* are the one spitting lies here.

This is forum is the *only* place I consistently see hate directed towards Chris and Jordan, who by most accounts are actually good guys. 

I’m all for making fun of the Northrups and all the types like that, but give me a break.

I updated the firmware this morning then repeated old external test.

Recorded 4K HQ externally for over an hour with no card in camera. 

After 1hr 16 minutes passed I stopped the external recording, and inserted CFexpress card.

Once the R5 booted back up the counter said 20 minutes. Showed 25 minutes after shut down for less than 5 minutes.

So it seems the external recording is still good.

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

After 1hr 16 minutes passed I stopped the external recording, and inserted CFexpress card.

Once the R5 booted back up the counter said 20 minutes. Showed 25 minutes after shut down for less than 5 minutes.

I suppose that technically you should report that to Canon as a bug 🙂 

1 hour ago, Logan said:

The first review Chris and Jordan posted has overheating in the title and is heavily highlighted in the video. *You* are the one spitting lies here.

Ummm... Although I do like Chris and Jordan, their very first review DID NOT mention overheating at all. I reached out to Jordan about this and he stated that they hadn't encountered the overheating during their initial testing and stated they would do a more thorough test of the camera once they had a production unit. This was on July 10th that I wrote to him. (The video from Chris and Jordon on July 9th about the camera did not mention overheating.)

6 minutes ago, ajay said:

Ummm... Although I do like Chris and Jordan, their very first review DID NOT mention overheating at all. I reached out to Jordan about this and he stated that they hadn't encountered the overheating during their initial testing and stated they would do a more thorough test of the camera once they had a production unit. This was on July 10th that I wrote to him.

That is the first hands on review, is it not? Even if it was not their first hands on with it, they most definitely highlight how much of an issue overheating is.

My overall point is that certain people are designated as “bad” here and subsequently made to be completely dishonest villains who are out to screw us all over.

*so I just watched the July 9 video, they clearly state they do not have a full production R5 at the start of the video. This is exactly why I’m saying that people either ignore or choose to lie about things to further their own agenda.  They very likely *did not* encounter overheating at that point as they were doing a first impressions video.

176DFC7B-49DD-40D3-BAC4-80A085B4F319.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Logan said:

That is the first hands on review, is it not? Even if it was not their first hands on with it, they most definitely highlight how much of an issue overheating is.

My overall point is that certain people are designated as “bad” here and subsequently made to be completely dishonest villains who are out to screw us all over.

*so I just watched the July 9 video, they clearly state they do not have a full production R5 at the start of the video. This is exactly why I’m saying that people either ignore or choose to lie about things to further their own agenda.  They very likely *did not* encounter overheating at that point as they were doing a first impressions video.

As others have pointed out by those that have actually watched their initial reviews, they didn't mention overheating. That's right, an R5/R6 review that doesn't mention overheating. Let that sink in.

There's no way you could shoot any of the higher video modes and not experience restrictions. There's no way you could shoot stills and use the camera generally then switch to video modes and not see recording time reductions. 

They were clearly being underhand - they obviously lied and misled potential purchasers. People would have placed pre-orders on the basis of those videos. People spending thousands being deliberatly misled.

Of course then what happens are non-shills start reviewing the camera and naturally mention the overheating. Chris and Jordan are now exposed - they can't not mention now its out in the open and is a big story - hence their later 'reviews' above.

So we can talk about agendas, its pretty clear what dpreviews reviewers agenda are - affiliate revenue first with transparency and end users best interests much lower down the list. It's dpreviews business model and if you can't see that, that's naive.

Enjoy your echo chamber! 

I stated that I *just* watched the first impressions video, which is not titled a review. 

Are you just going to ignore the screenshot that I posted? The actual review states in the title and within the video that overheating is a huge problem.

Yeah it's getting a little weird in here. I saw a review where Jordan went in depth that the camera has serious overheating issues. Also it's youtube. You make videos there for ad revenue. It's basically the largest home shopping network on the planet. I'm not sure how honest we can expect youtube "reviewers" to be. These guys need to maintain corporate relations, push affiliate links and keep some semblance of integrity while being entertaining. That's what it is. That's their job. They're not freedom fighters lol

4 minutes ago, Logan said:

Enjoy your echo chamber! 

I stated that I *just* watched the first impressions video, which is not titled a review. 

Are you just going to ignore the screenshot that I posted? The actual review states in the title and within the video that overheating is a huge problem.

Enjoy being an apologist for shills.

You can try and split hairs all you like, there's zero way you could use that camera for any amount of time and not experience the issues. None.

As I pointed out, their subsequent reviews mentioned overheating because they couldn't not by that point. It had become a big story by then. They were exposed.

Your knowledge of the chronology of this appears to be faulty as you've now acknowledged their earlier 'reviews' did mention it when initially you didn't and accused people of lying. I'd suggest doing more thorough research before accusing people of lying. Unless of course you have your own agenda that isn't interested in the facts.

1 hour ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Any chance you could check if the battery-pull workaround for the thermal timer still works?