My Canon EOS R5 recording 8K video 50 minutes straight

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, horshack said:

Some said the HDMI w/o card long-recording workaround was a bug. I didn't believe it. Looks like they were right. Shaking my head. This also implies the thermal management isn't to protect the cards, otherwise why would they still throttle the camera without cards installed (assuming this update throttles both with and without cards).

Yes this suggests thermal management is, shall we say, a somewhat discretionary decision by Canon.

Newsshooter cites Canon statement but I can’t find source. According to this statement Canon feel that they’ve addressed customer concerns. Gordon’s video suggests improvements but in the end I think most user’s chief concern will remain whether the camera actually overheats as described. Over to users to test it and have their say.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/08/27/canon-r5-firmware-update/

“ According to Canon, ‘The effect of the new firmware addresses consumer concerns around repeated shooting capabilities and the need for improved cooling while switched on. We have and will continue to be transparent about recording limits for the EOS R5 and are confident that the camera performs to stated specifications.’ “

12 minutes ago, PaulUsher said:

Yes this suggests thermal management is, shall we say, a somewhat discretionary decision by Canon.

Newsshooter cites Canon statement but I can’t find source. According to this statement Canon feel that they’ve addressed customer concerns. Gordon’s video suggests improvements but in the end I think most user’s chief concern will remain whether the camera actually overheats as described. Over to users to test it and have their say.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/08/27/canon-r5-firmware-update/

“ According to Canon, ‘The effect of the new firmware addresses consumer concerns around repeated shooting capabilities and the need for improved cooling while switched on. We have and will continue to be transparent about recording limits for the EOS R5 and are confident that the camera performs to stated specifications.’ “

Here is a summary of Gordon's findings.

https://www.canonrumors.com/gordon-laing-explains-the-updates-in-firmware-v1-1-0-for-the-canon-eos-r5/

1 hour ago, horshack said:

Let's hope Canon was already too far along in the testing/release cycle to plug the battery-pull hack in this V1.1.0 release.

This V1.10 firmware is a joke, and I wouldn't be surprised if future firmware "updates" patch the current hacks that work to extend recording time.

3 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Jordan also did some firmware comparisons.

The firmware gives you a little more time but doesn't really extend the record times by much. It varies from 5 to 10 minutes depending on recording resolution and codec.

Disappointing to say the least.

44 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Thanks for sharing.
It's look like they tweaked the recovery time and add new functionality to the infamous counter that now include the length of previous recording in the balance.
If you shoot short clip,s you can shoot more of them (from 22 to 96 now in his testing)
Recovery time is about 2 minutes wait for 1 minute recovery, or one minute wait for one minute recovery inside a fridge.
Still a bit far from the graph I can see on this post threat. Recovery temperature look way faster than this.

Bye the way; 0 apology from Canon so far.
The best sentence is:
"We have and will continue to be transparent about recording limits for the EOS R5" 😂

Like you can't shoot any HQ mode after 60 picture during an hour inside a fridge...
Transparency? Please Canon, let me know where in your manual you explain this?

The max recording time is reset if you remove the battery cause we don't check temperature at boot but be assured we are very conservative on temperature management.

3 minutes ago, visionrouge said:

Thanks for sharing.
It's look like they tweaked the recovery time and add new functionality to the infamous counter that now include the length of previous recording in the balance.
If you shoot short clip,s you can shoot more of them (from 22 to 96 now in his testing)
Recovery time is about 2 minutes wait for 1 minute recovery, or one minute wait for one minute recovery inside a fridge.
Still a bit far from the graph I can see on this post threat. Recovery temperature look way faster than this.

Bye the way; 0 apology from Canon so far.
The best sentence is:
"We have and will continue to be transparent about recording limits for the EOS R5" 😂

Like you can't shoot any HQ mode after 60 picture during an hour inside a fridge...
Transparency? Please Canon, let me know where in your manual you explain this?

The max recording time is reset if you remove the battery cause we don't check temperature at boot but be assured we are very conservative on temperature management.

They should just be up front and call them record time limits.

Pretending that it is an "overheating" issue is just insulting but I guess Canon think they can get away with it...and maybe they are right.

After this firmware update, we've got a good indicator that Canon is not going to open this camera up for any serious video work. It's really meant for casual video work in which a hybrid shooter may want to get a few nice video clips.

From a video perspective, there's no way would I use this camera for any serious, professional work.

I've 100% made up my mind to stick with Sony for what I do. I thought I might go back to Canon and use the R5 for both my stills and video work but I've seen enough from Canon to know that they have not changed their tune.

So...A9 for stills, A7SIII for video. Onwards!

6 minutes ago, visionrouge said:

Someone suggested that the overheat icon should be changed with a middle finger on a future firmware... I love this idea!🖕

Hahaha, that or a laughing emoji would be good. This one would fit perfectly 🤣

Canon: "Oh, so you want to record in a HQ video mode?"

R5 User: "Yes please"

Canon: 🤣

They added five minutes lol

Taking photos still kills your 4K HQ recording times.

It still takes hours to completely "cool down" (ie reset the timer).

I'll wait to see how the R6 handles but I'm not optimistic.

Canon has drawn the line and is making it clear they don't want their hybrid cameras to be used for professional video with professional photography. If you want to use the Canon ecosystem professionally as a photog/videographer you need to purchase both a body for pics and a separate cine body for videos. Uh no thanks.

2 hours ago, horshack said:

Some said the HDMI w/o card long-recording workaround was a bug. I didn't believe it. Looks like they were right. Shaking my head. This also implies the thermal management isn't to protect the cards, otherwise why would they still throttle the camera without cards installed (assuming this update throttles both with and without cards).

Yes, pretty much. 

Historically Canon will NOT improve their cameras through firmware. The exception was R and RP because they were being slaughtered. But even them, minor updates to AF and introduction of 24fps. 

They will NOT acknowledge any wrong doing and will try to patch any work around. 

I am a Canon shooter (use old, used gear because it is the cheapest by far), but I am ashamed of that now, if I ever can afford a switch to Sony I will. 

34 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Oh come on Canon seriously? Why not just put this thing in the trash and forget about it forever?

No, I think mod team is going in the right direction. Need to forget any further move from Canon instead. As well, future firmware updates. It is quite probably it will never happen. At least for soon. The only ones will probably be to obstacle the good efforts to put this camera to serve filmmakers.

Our only hope is an usable mod.

In certain languages, obstacle can be a noun or a verb. Seems in English the most suitable verb is a most refined form, that is, to block. That's the only move we can expect from them... Focus on a mod solution. Other than that, looks like perfectly useless because it depends on a business decision just straight in the opposite direction.

I don’t know what to think. 96min of short 4k120p clips is good enough for me on one hand, but overall 5min improvements in most codecs and mostly the very little improvement in recovery is a joke. Also I use the camera for photo between video shots and stills use kills the recovery. So I am gonna wait for some testing but first impression for this FW update is go f*** yourself Canon. 

The most interesting aspect of today's release are the details Canon provide Gordon Laing on what temperature information is available to the R5's thermal management and from which parts of the camera it's obtained. And how the thermal management behavior was altered with today's firmware. I posted some initial thoughts on it here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64302450