My Canon EOS R5 recording 8K video 50 minutes straight

Andrew Reid

10 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Signed and shared. Considering putting money on advertising it as well. 

I don’t like the description though, it’s not strong enough. You should say there that It has now been demonstrated that the R5 limitations are based on a timer and that with simple tweeks the R5 can record 8K and any video mode for much longer than advertised.

Thanks @wolf33d. The petition now states "We, the undersigned Canon customers, demand a reply to this request - before our 30-day returns period expires." Please add your comment to the petition to give colour.

IMO Canon know what they did. A petition can only add pressure, not force admission. There's little to be gained from a petition masthead that forces Canon to deny claims that are improperly worded without a lawyer’s drafting. This salvo is a reasonable customer request for comment. Each of us can add our own personal views in the petition comments, make our own claims based on personal experience with the camera, swear, and state that we're taking our business elsewhere, to add further pressure.

If Canon don’t respond within the 30-day returns period then the legal letters that may follow from customers, drafted by a lawyer, will be strongly worded. Evidence of timers etc can be submitted to courts later. IMO it won't come to that, Canon won’t respond directly (that would be admission) and apologise, but they can and should at least add a firmware update that helps make it right. Given their options now, from their POV (even if they don't give a hoot about their customers), surely they'll decide on "a bug fix" - or whatever they could call it - as the path of least resistance to salvage their company's reputation.

Need way more signees and comments - please help and share.

https://www.change.org/canonR5fix

R5 fix.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What also so annoying is these companies have patents that make it so hard competition to push the tech forward and having them cripple hammer features on top of it really hurts the industry. I could see getting around patents on IBS and autofocus must be such a hurdle for smaller camera brands

25 minutes ago, PaulUsher said:

Thanks @wolf33d. The petition now states "We, the undersigned Canon customers, demand a reply to this request - before our 30-day returns period expires." Please add your comment to the petition to give colour.

IMO Canon know what they did. A petition can only add pressure, not force admission. There's little to be gained from a petition masthead that forces Canon to deny claims that are improperly worded without a lawyer’s drafting. This salvo is a reasonable customer request for comment. Each of us can add our own personal views in the petition comments, make our own claims based on personal experience with the camera, swear, and state that we're taking our business elsewhere, to add further pressure.

If Canon don’t respond within the 30-day returns period then the legal letters that may follow from customers, drafted by a lawyer, will be strongly worded. Evidence of timers etc can be submitted to courts later. IMO it won't come to that, Canon won’t respond directly (that would be admission) and apologise, but they can and should at least add a firmware update that helps make it right. Given their options now, from their POV (even if they don't give a hoot about their customers), surely they'll decide on "a bug fix" - or whatever they could call it - as the path of least resistance to salvage their company's reputation.

Need way more signees and comments - please help and share.

https://www.change.org/canonR5fix

R5 fix.png

Sure is moving slowly would have expected hundreds by now. 

41 minutes ago, Django said:

Entually, Steve Jobs held a press conference at Cupertino and announced free bumper cases for all users, saying: "We're not perfect… but we want all our users to be happy."

At best Canon will issue a firmware “fix” claiming “overheat management optimization” or something.

Or supply us with a free piece of scotch tape 😂

Late to the party.

I really enjoyed this article. First of all, it feels like the early days of EOSHD when the hacks for GH2 came out. 

Secondly, although entirely unnecessary, Andrew is willing to burn bridges with his friend at Canon. Haha Very on character.

Quite frankly after seeing these tests - this is just an incredible hybrid camera engineering feat. I get why its crippled, but holy hell Canon absolutely smashed all competitors with this. You can bet Nikon is picking this apart to see how they brought it all together. If it remains artificially crippled I'm staying far away from anything Canon.

A simple firmware fix can make this the beast Canon originally advertised. Unleash the beast and I'm back in. 

Chris

"By coincidence, a Canon employee was present at the wedding as a guest and has seen how ridiculous it is that the camera is constantly overheating while the camera is barely being used. He thought this was scandalous and will try to help with this."

Lol... so what can the employee do? Blow at the camera ? Lol

9 minutes ago, Nerv said:

From what i've seen this camera is getting rave reviews for its stills capability.  is that not worth the price alone.

will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I don't think we'll get what we want in the end. 

They barely even spoke of stills during the promotion of the R5 so no that isn't sufficient. They sold us video.

• Administrators

Hurray at least. This is the important thing, that it gets out there and prompts Canon to rescue the situation as they should

And that it gets out there credited to the right people, unlike with TONEH, even better.

35 minutes ago, Daai said:
"By coincidence, a Canon employee was present at the wedding as a guest and has seen how ridiculous it is that the camera is constantly overheating while the camera is barely being used. He thought this was scandalous and will try to help with this."

Never under estimate the power of embarrassment!

Firmware update in T minus 10,9,8...

12 hours ago, Electroholic Anonymous said:

I can confirm Andrew's findings, It works the same in 8K RAW on CFexpress,. I recorded my test session and published it on youtube, you can see how I monitored the temperatures with a thermal camera, and Ninja V, both visible in the video here: https://youtu.be/IagTjRO5Y30

Thanks a lot Andrew! Hopefully we can push Canon to fix this, otherwise let's hope the magnificent folks at Magic Lantern will do their magic again! Thanks for all your hard and honest work.

At the end of my video linked above I am showing a neat trick that I found out. If the overheating timer shows 00:00 it is still possible to start recording within a few seconds. Here's how: Power down the R5 normally. Press the record button and keep pressing it the whole time. Switch on the R5, and as soon as it finishes its startup process It will start recording. Once it starts recording you can stop pressing the record button. I am showing this a couple of times at the end of my video linked above.

This leads me to believe that the overheating timer was slapped on in the last instance of the development process, at least the timer procedure kicks in very late in the startup process, after reading out user commands apparently. Very odd.

The trick is not very useful though, it only records for a couple of seconds to at most a minute. It appears the overheating timers are very precise, the time it records before it shuts down due to 'overheating' correlates with the time since the previous time it shuts down from overheating.

52 minutes ago, ajay said:

The question is will some of the heavy-hitters out on YT and the web sites will call Canon out on this? They should if they're not biased. It's nice to see most who have already started the drum beat are crediting Andrew as well as others. Well deserved.

Matt Granger posted a video yesterday:

Maybe Tilta can join the legal fight. After all, they spent time and money developing a cage and cooling system for the R5 that will never work as the overheating doesn't exist!

https://tilta.com/2020/07/tiltaing-camera-cage-for-canon-r5/

Just goes to show that companies these days don't do ANY product testing before releasing products. If they did, the R5 wouldn't be on the market and Tilta wouldn't be offering a solution to a problem that will never work. 

Pay your $4000 to be Canon's guinea pig. That'll show em!! 🤭