My Canon EOS R5 recording 8K video 50 minutes straight

Andrew Reid

thanks for all the good work guys.

we now KNOW that they could do a simple firmware update that would make us happy. they can go ahead and do so without any corporate admission of wrongdoing

I'm boycotting canon until they resolve this properly!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, Asmundma said:

A lot of people are is pissed about the R5 crippling, I could understand if you don’t have a Cx00 camera. If you have, your investment would be more or less lost. Thats the reason Canon did this firmware crippling. Actually it make sense, like it or not. So please stop this stupid arguing about the marketing, Use your logical sense Then this is 100% as expected. 

They should have been honest about that upfront. Give the 8k and hq recordings a 5 or 10 min limit and not some fake overheating timer.

If you can get 50 mins of 8K AND it would have kept rolling, you'd surely get unlimited 4K HQ. It's not soo much Canon crippling the R5, it's a wholesale kneecapping.

Definitely a tech scandal.

Anybody defending Canon over this is siding with the corporate giant intent on maximising profits and screwing over the little guy without a second thought.

Canon lied to make more money, that's the bottom line. Anybody that says 'this is normal' needs to have a serious look at their principles.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Tutti coloro che hanno speso $ 4000 per questa fotocamera (o anche di più in molte regioni) hanno diritto a una spiegazione onesta, a scuse e sicuramente a una soluzione.

Hi Andrew thanks for your work, I spent a lot more than 4000 $ !!! I bought R5 + 4 batteries, adapter ef -r, 2 cf express san disk 512gb, total 6670 euros !!!! And I mostly work with videos !! It is absurd that I find myself having a room advertised as 8k !! and to work without problems I have to use a poor 4k !!! Canon be ashamed !!! And I hope that all the owners join in a class action to ask for these limitations to be lifted and for canon to pay !!! They are just stupid! even for their speakers !! how many people like me work with videos and photos and spend almost 7000 euros to work with videos and photos and don't want cinema eos because they don't take photos !!! Canon is up to be stupid and free all the potential of this camera !!!

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, danieleciraolo said:

Hi Andrew thanks for your work, I spent a lot more than 4000 $ !!! I bought R5 + 4 batteries, adapter ef -r, 2 cf express san disk 512gb, total 6670 euros !!!! And I mostly work with videos !! It is absurd that I find myself having a room advertised as 8k !! and to work without problems I have to use a poor 4k !!! Canon be ashamed !!! And I hope that all the owners join in a class action to ask for these limitations to be lifted and for canon to pay !!! They are just stupid! even for their speakers !! how many people like me work with videos and photos and spend almost 7000 euros to work with videos and photos and don't want cinema eos because they don't take photos !!! Canon is up to be stupid and free all the potential of this camera !!!

Daniel I agree 100%

We are customers at the end of the day and deserve some respect and to be levelled with in an honest way!!

It really drives me up the wall, the fact that I can break all this news on the blog and in Canon's eyes - I AM the villain right?!!? ME! The guy who said Canon had finally turned a corner, rushed out to give them my hard earned £4200 only to find all my worst suspicious were true.

The fact they have not apologised to me or to customers like you after all this investment is a DISGRACE.

If a class action happens I would support it 1000%

I cannot believe the depth of stupidity at the senior management level in Japan.

Why do they feel it is ok to release a product with an "official overheating problem" let alone an artificial one?!

It would be industrial level sabotage if it wasn't so self inflicted.

I cannot believe how slow they have been to respond with an apology and promise to investigate and fix the firmware.

They are actually standing their ground on this?? WHY?

Out of fear they might lose a few sales in a niche business division that deals with expensive camcorders?

The EOS business is surely bigger and should be pulling the strings, not the other way round.

12 minutes ago, anton.zimin@gmail.com said:

Well, interesting to know if the timer Is integrated  in the processor or it’s a separate unit and if it is possible to cheat it physically. 

Since every chip costs additional money, I'm 100% sure it's in the main processor as a software algorithm. 

• Administrators

ARM based processors will likely have their own thermal hardware shut down algorithms and protections.

I am 99% sure the timer is controlled by firmware, with timing metadata saved to the internal battery backed RAM on the PCB and possibly also to the clip metadata on the card.

Looks to me like they tried to cripple their units in another way this time. Instead of time and feature limits like before let's create a hidden overheating limit. It's a good thing they got caught on this! The worst thing is, if they just created 5 or 10 min recording limits on their 8k and 4KHQ, nobody would have complained. They would have expected this from Canon.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

ARM based processors will likely have their own thermal hardware shut down algorithms and protections.

There is no way this is a lack of sensor that push them to create a time limit.

The overheat lock-down is artificial and not based on actual temperatures reading for most of the scenarios.

Just to make my point easy to understand:
There are 2 possible reasons for that:
-Avoiding this camera to compete with more expensive models.
-Doing a fast/cheap software development where you do not read temperature sensor, but just base all on time the camera is recording video.

I will remove the possibility of the absence of temperature sensors as the ( MT53D512M32D2DS-053 ) which is the 2Go Ram have internal sensors, as well as most of the component on this board. Another example is the one just on top of the card reader:
DA9213 Multiphase 20A Output Current -40 to +85 ºC temperature range and have temperature monitoring flag 125 °C Waring 140 °C Critical.
I can keep going for all the chip that I can read the reference on the provided pictures.

Yes, any electronic component have a temperature where it should be working fine for ages. And yes, there are real overheating situation where the camera should be turned off.
But having a logo telling you that the camera is too hot that can be turned off by removing the battery is not right.

That means the temperature is not checked at boot up, neither during the 15 following recording minutes in 8K? How this is supposed to be acceptable? How this is safe for my equipment?
Yes, this is far for being rational in an engineering point of view.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, visionrouge said:

That means the temperature is not checked at boot up, neither during the 15 following recording minutes in 8K? How this is supposed to be acceptable? How this is safe for my equipment?
Yes, this is far for being rational in an engineering point of view.

Very good point!

I am pretty sure the REAL temperature is checked by the ARM CPU and other components though, if not by Canon's firmware... And if the camera gets too hot it will likely hang or crash, so we'll have prior warning if there's trouble. I had no issues whatsoever doing the long 8K stints. Back did not get hotter after the first 10 minutes. By 50 minutes it was the same.

2 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

They should have been honest about that upfront. Give the 8k and hq recordings a 5 or 10 min limit and not some fake overheating timer.

I think at this point they cannot do this anymore. Maybe just maybe this will end up resulting in a very good thing for us. If they would have just called it a time limit. Fine nobody would have bothered. But now they lied and made it a so seemed overheating problem. They just cannot change it into a time limit anymore, its too late for that. They will have to either remove the overheating problem and release the full potential, or do nothing at all and ignore us all. I am no lawyer, but this might bite Canon in the ass, if anybody sued them.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, kaylee said:

thanks for all the good work guys.

we now KNOW that they could do a simple firmware update that would make us happy. they can go ahead and do so without any corporate admission of wrongdoing

I'm boycotting canon until they resolve this properly!!

Thanks Kaylee!!

I think we should get a new guinea pig meme going.

22 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I think at this point they cannot do this anymore. Maybe just maybe this will end up resulting in a very good thing for us. If they would have just called it a time limit. Fine nobody would have bothered. But now they lied and made it a so seemed overheating problem. They just cannot change it into a time limit anymore, its too late for that. They will have to either remove the overheating problem and release the full potential, or do nothing at all and ignore us all. I am no lawyer, but this might bite Canon in the ass, if anybody sued them.

Indeed. They will likely just tweak the overheating timer and call it a day. But I do not like this new Canon. At least before you knew what the exact limits were.

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Very good point!

I am pretty sure the REAL temperature is checked by the ARM CPU and other components though, if not by Canon's firmware... 

Of course it is, and of course the actual temperature readings are below overheat threshold.

I can't imaging Canon doing not one reading and shut-down if it goes to high during 15mn of normal recording in 8K or during the boot.

And actually, the TLV61046ADBVR Just around the RAM module) have it's own temperature shutdown that you can't turn off. It's a Output Voltage Boost Converter, I can assure you that other component will do the same to not burn.

I'm just playing as dumb as the one saying the "remove battery during recording" trick will kill your camera with overheat.
In one hand, they are Canon fan boy, but in another hand, they accept the R5 engineering as the worst possible.
We all agree a camera should overheat when recording, but Fanboy think it's natural for Canon to design a software that do not read temperature at boot!

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Or maybe we are a niche who don't make them the extra billions they are targeting so fuck us.

Unfortunately, maybe it is the case. In the stills foruns that I look, people are giving a damn about the issue and just wanting to know when they could buy it.

Only chance is a class action suit - japanese people do not like that kind of thing.

4 hours ago, Asmundma said:

A lot of people are is pissed about the R5 crippling, I could understand if you don’t have a Cx00 camera. If you have, your investment would be more or less lost. Thats the reason Canon did this firmware crippling. Actually it make sense, like it or not. So please stop this stupid arguing about the marketing, Use your logical sense Then this is 100% as expected. 

I guess that people that uses Cxx cameras value such more thing than recording specs. Form factor, abudance of hands-on controls, better thermal management (even without the R5 crippling)...

How about that deep freeze test where the R5 was able to shoot like an hour before overheating warning? Looks like the timer gets triggered after a certain temp threshold and the battery door hack defeats the artificial recovery time.

Canon will never apologize just like Apple never did during their numerous scandals like Antennagate where Jobs responded:

"Just avoid holding it that way" - led to widespread mockery, and the phrase "you're holding it wrong" still sticks around whenever an Apple product has a fault. Eventually, Steve Jobs held a press conference at Cupertino and announced free bumper cases for all users, saying: "We're not perfect… but we want all our users to be happy."

Same with bendgate: Apple responded to Bendgate, stating that it had received only nine complaints of bent devices and that the damage occurring due to regular use was "extremely rare". Apple offered to replace phones that were bent.

At best Canon will issue a firmware “fix” claiming “overheat management optimization” or something.