My Canon EOS R5 recording 8K video 50 minutes straight

Andrew Reid

I am sincerely in rush to buy one. I fully understand and support this fight against Cannot, but not mine. Really. My craft is my playground. Hope and still waiting for your finds @Andrew Reid, @mechanicalEYE as well from any other R5 user over here.

Eagering to know the overheating limits for sure, temperature behaviour on different scenarios.

50 minutes?! ... with such conclusion next to follow:

"The camera never got hot to the touch, cooler than my MacBook Pro the whole time." ~ Andrew Reid

This is really an impressive piece of hardware I confess I am unable to resist...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Delusion is strong here. Canon is gonna try to go out of their way not to give us shit.  If anything they will close all the loopholes in using these features professionally and claim it’s to protect the camera. Maybe they will give in a little and give us something like 10 more minutes but they are not going to suddenly let this camera loose and out perform their 10k+ cinema cameras. 

good detective work from all those that were involved. People, corporations, even nations need a slap in the face occasionally otherwise they will continue to steamroll right over the top of everyone with their we will give you what we think you need, not what you need bs. It seems rather stupid in this day and age that they thought they could get away with it with all the tech tools and know how available today. Name and shame them lest other corporations get the idea, if canon can do it we can too.

It might be a good idea to hold off buying a new camera for a period. Depending on how much fallout is involved, it may make other manufactures sit up and take note. We may get a slew of new models with increased functionality in less than 12 months. One can only hope.

With all the information you have now, there is two line of actions

1. Soft : Contact the consumer protection org of your country and start to talk to them.
2. Hard : Depending where you are located from : Class action.

I am sure that as soon as the "Legal" heat start to turn on Canon things will move.

I was supposed to get that camera and was expected Canon to screw us somewhere but did not expect this at all.

I can confirm Andrew's findings, It works the same in 8K RAW on CFexpress,. I recorded my test session and published it on youtube, you can see how I monitored the temperatures with a thermal camera, and Ninja V, both visible in the video here: https://youtu.be/IagTjRO5Y30

Thanks a lot Andrew! Hopefully we can push Canon to fix this, otherwise let's hope the magnificent folks at Magic Lantern will do their magic again! Thanks for all your hard and honest work.

5 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Wait a minute.. we have a full frame camera with a CPU that in lithography tech is far from being as state of the art as recent smartphone CPUs, and yet is capable of processing 8k video for one hour without overheating? Imagine what this camera could do with a Qualcomm! 

Regarding the rolling shutter ( ~16ms in 8K), the camera (sensor) is capable of 8K 60p.

With all the information you have now, there is two line of actions

1. Soft : Contact the consumer protection org of your country and start to talk to them.
2. Hard : Depending where you are located from : Class action.

I am sure that as soon as the "Legal" heat start to turn on Canon things will move.

Sorry, but I think that you are incorrect. If the camera does not perform the functions as stated  by Canon or the retailer at the time of purchase the only legal entitlement (in Europe) at this stage is that the purchaser is entitled to a refund. That would be debateable if the purchaser admits to dismantling the product with a view to modification.

It's incredible, Canon engineering is so good and marketing is so bad. 

I don't even buy the protecting Eos Cine cameras excuse. More than 10 years ago I bought a Canon 7D with the 18-135mm lens for 2200€. They weren't a ONG then, so they made money. Now just the R5 body costs double that price. When technology price should stay or lower with time. So they are making a lot of money from those 4400€ and we haven't included lenses. If you enter the RF Canon world it is very easy to spend at bare minimum 5K€, more like 6K€-10K€ in Canon gear. 

A lot of people are is pissed about the R5 crippling, I could understand if you don’t have a Cx00 camera. If you have, your investment would be more or less lost. Thats the reason Canon did this firmware crippling. Actually it make sense, like it or not. So please stop this stupid arguing about the marketing, Use your logical sense Then this is 100% as expected. 

30 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

It's incredible, Canon engineering is so good and marketing is so bad. 

I don't even buy the protecting Eos Cine cameras excuse. More than 10 years ago I bought a Canon 7D with the 18-135mm lens for 2200€. They weren't a ONG then, so they made money. Now just the R5 body costs double that price. When technology price should stay or lower with time. So they are making a lot of money from those 4400€ and we haven't included lenses. If you enter the RF Canon world it is very easy to spend at bare minimum 5K€, more like 6K€-10K€ in Canon gear. 

Its the other way around engineering is to blame and marketing on other hand was spot on with all the hype.

13 minutes ago, Asmundma said:

A lot of people are is pissed about the R5 crippling, I could understand if you don’t have a Cx00 camera. If you have, your investment would be more or less lost

I'm sorry, but this just isn't the case. People buy C-line video cameras for a plethora of reasons and for many use cases there's no way they would swap out a full-control, fully specified professional cine camera for a hybrid body. The form factor of a hybrid just wouldn't cut it in a wide range of professional working situations. Codecs, resolution and so on are important, but they really are only one part of the considerations that apply to choosing a working tool.

Canon should recognize, that they cannot stop that near-future MILC cameras will be easily capable of 8K 120p raw, etc. The market of high-end cameras will be partially cannibalized by lower end solutions. They should concentrate on selling as many RF lenses as they can, which they can do by offering great products at every level.