Canon EOS R5 so-called overheat timer defeated by a single screw in battery door

Andrew Reid

4K 30p FINE All-I works too:

In the other thread I posted an image showing that CFexpress did not work. Sorry for double posting, but I missed this entire thread with valuable information of Horschack and others. I will now try to create a FAT 32 partition on the CFexoress with similar specifications as on the working SD card. Fingers crossed!

FAT32 - SD 4K30Fine All-I MP4 - SUCCESS.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cloning the working 128GB SD partition onto the 1TB CFexpress yielded a working 128GB on the PC, however the R5 still gives the same error:

FAT32 CFexpress.jpg

I will now try my 512GB Sandisk CFexpress card. I don't have smaller CFexpress cards. Anyone with a 128GB CFexpress card who would be willing to try this?

By the way, my two Integral Ultima 1TB CFexpress cards work perfectly, still, after having been considerably (ab)used for over a month now, even with all the abuse of forced power downs.

10 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Indeed, doesn't look very professional for paying work and for all we know it might even void the warranty. Canon should offer us a permanent fix instead!

Haha, you are both realistic and a dreamer. I don't have any hope that I will ever get waranty on my R5, surely it must list somewhere in its recorded status the number of irregular shutdowns, my R5 has already had hundreds of those. They will blame anything and everything on me abusing the R5. So indeed, I agree waranty (already) voided. Dream on, thinking that Canon should [or will] offer us a permanent fix....

In 15 years of digital photography and having owned more than 20 digital camera's only one camera ever had problems, my Nikon D750. They replaced the mirror assembly and shutter unit with 180.000 clicks, replaced the front side because of non-alignment, free of charge, I was expecting to pay 500 Euros.

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Congrats! So...This formatting

"It" works meaning FAT32 formatting using Linux? Does this only work on SD chips, not CF Express? That's why no 8k raw nor 4k 120p? Please unconfuse me.

I used Aomei Partition Assistant to create a 128GB FAT32 partition on a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II 300MB/s card. Windows 10 does not allow you to format FAT32 of this size, although it writes and reads just fine when presented with a 128GB FAT32 partition.

3 hours ago, Electroholic Anonymous said:

Haha, you are both realistic and a dreamer. I don't have any hope that I will ever get waranty on my R5, surely it must list somewhere in its recorded status the number of irregular shutdowns, my R5 has already had hundreds of those. They will blame anything and everything on me abusing the R5. So indeed, I agree waranty (already) voided. Dream on, thinking that Canon should [or will] offer us a permanent fix....

In 15 years of digital photography and having owned more than 20 digital camera's only one camera ever had problems, my Nikon D750. They replaced the mirror assembly and shutter unit with 180.000 clicks, replaced the front side because of non-alignment, free of charge, I was expecting to pay 500 Euros.

Are you planning to open the thing up?

3 minutes ago, Matins 2 said:

Are you planning to open the thing up?

No! I have seen the teardown video, which is now also on youtube. My skills are not at that level, I think I would break a flat cable or something else. And what would I need to do in the camera? Remove the coin cell, but in the teardown video one can see that it is at the back of the mainboard, that's too difficult for me. I want a working solution without tinkering with the internals.

• 1 year later...

I think that there is another thing here.

As the Tilta hack works in providing longer recording times I think that there is a timer that starts when the thing gets above a certain temperature.
So as long as you are below you can go longer but as soon as you hit it there is this timer and it makes sure also cooldown times are long enough to secure the hardware.. but also to secure the cinema product line.

Personally I take the approach of additional cooling and just started out with the camera.