How do you deliver?

kye

How do you deliver?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you deliver?

• I deliver to YouTube
    • I deliver to Vimeo
    • I deliver via some kind of private video distribution service (eg, Frame.io)
    • I deliver via the cloud (eg, Dropbox, wetransfer, private torrent, etc)
    • I deliver via a direct connection (eg, copying files over VPN)
    • I deliver physically (eg, shipping media / drives, or delivering in person by external drives)
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. What codec do you deliver in?

• RAW / Uncompressed
    • Intermediary formats (eg, Prores, Cineform, DNxHD / HR, etc)
    • More compressed formats (eg, h264, h265, mp4, etc)
    • Other (please comment below!)
  3. 3. What bitrates do you deliver in?

• Sub 50Mbps
    • 50Mbps - 100Mbps
    • 100Mbps - 400Mbps
    • 400Mbps+
  4. 4. What bit-depth do you deliver in?

• 8-bit
    • 10-bit
    • 12-bit
    • 14-bit (or more?!?!)
  5. 5. What resolution do you deliver in?

• 720p
    • 1080p
    • between 2K and UHD
    • UHD
    • C4K
    • More?!??!

I nearly always shoot 4K60 8 bit Long GOP (GH5, C200, GoPro) and if I'm doing the editing and delivery I deliver in 1080P 29.97FPS. For my own YouTube channel I render out to 16Mb/s data rate for YouTube and Facebook and 1.4Mb/s for Instagram.

If a customer demands 4K then I deliver in 4K but I think in the past 5yrs only one customer specified that the final product must be 4K. The footage was really annoying to work with too because I lost all of my crop, zoom, and recompositioning capabilities.  For that client I actually changed the way I shot with them because I knew I couldn't fix small things later.

If I'm just shooting the footage and the client is doing the editing then I just shoot 4K60FPS and deliver the footage straight out of camera. For footage delivery I do everything through my website and zip files. I get unlimited storage and bandwidth through my website hosting plan which is only $4/mo......so I run my own Wordpress website, DNS domain, and get unlimited everything on the website than what some people are paying just for DropBox.

The one annoying thing about my delivery method is I use zip files which take forever to zip if it is raw footage and some clients have had problems unzipping them over a certain size if they are on a Mac. I have also had clients who have no idea how to unzip a file so I end up being their tech support.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It's funny because I see very little difference on my 55 inch TV sitting about 10 feet away. Only when I'm within 2 or so feet do I see significant differences, even when factoring in just bit rate. If I'm looking on a monitor up close, I can definitely see a difference, but when I'm doing casual viewing? Not so much. 

I think it's about viewing angle.  

When I was getting my 32inch monitor I looked up the TXH and SMPTE specifications for viewing angle and it's quite wide, with the 32inch display being in-between the two specs when at arms length.  If you're looking at a 55 inch TV at 10 feet then you're no-where near that viewing angle and won't see anything like the detail I'm seeing, or would be seen in theatres.

From TXH (https://www.thx.com/faq/😞

To determine what size TV you should purchase, we recommend you measure the distance between your couch and where your TV will be located (in inches). Then multiply that number by .835, and that should help you determine what screen size you should get.

But for 4K or UHD TV sets, the process is a little different since the nearer you sit to these models, the more detail you’ll be able to pick up.

For your viewing distance you'd need a 100 inch TV...

14 hours ago, kye said:

I think it's about viewing angle.  

When I was getting my 32inch monitor I looked up the TXH and SMPTE specifications for viewing angle and it's quite wide, with the 32inch display being in-between the two specs when at arms length.  If you're looking at a 55 inch TV at 10 feet then you're no-where near that viewing angle and won't see anything like the detail I'm seeing, or would be seen in theatres.

From TXH (https://www.thx.com/faq/😞

For your viewing distance you'd need a 100 inch TV...

That's kinda what I mean though when I say that most of us don't really see the full benefits of 4K when it comes to regular viewing. I think my viewing distance is a pretty common distance for most people that have TVs in their living rooms and bedrooms. I don't really know anyone that sits, say, 5 feet away from their TV. It's not really practical in most homes, unless you live in a really cramped apartment or something. I'd have to have my sofa (or TV) set up in the middle of my living room to do that!