Removing internal battery resets EOS R5 overheat timer

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
10 hours ago, Rob6 said:

Maybe when Andrew did the test he didn't pull the battery while it was recording? Does it have to be recording when you pull the battery possibly?

It's worth another look.

Quite a few variables and ways to do it.

I haven't had the time try everything to be honest.

The guy on YouTube has tried pulling the battery during a recording, and got 5 mins remaining.

I also got 5 minutes remaining, but stopped the recording first.

I thought at this point, if the timer is in RAM then it should go up to 20 mins in 8K not 5.

Then I went out and had an ice cream with the girlfriend.

So tomorrow maybe I should put more effort in!?

52 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's worth another look.

Quite a few variables and ways to do it.

I haven't had the time try everything to be honest.

The guy on YouTube has tried pulling the battery during a recording, and got 5 mins remaining.

I also got 5 minutes remaining, but stopped the recording first.

I thought at this point, if the timer is in RAM then it should go up to 20 mins in 8K not 5.

Then I went out and had an ice cream with the girlfriend.

So tomorrow maybe I should put more effort in!?

Yes, please! We all love you, Andrew! You are the best! 

• Administrators

Magic Lantern just became Magic Screw.

Tried the second test differently.

Found a way to get the full record times back:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5-so-called-overheat-timer-defeated-by-a-single-screw-in-battery-door/

You're only supposed to blow the bloody battery door off!!!!

happy birthday film GIF

33 minutes ago, User said:

Hilarious. Can you imagine 'The Crow' giving a talk at some PC University in 2020?

Well I guess that settles that then. Nice.

bloody-hell-sippp-38459889.png.5dd83cb40cbf3c52fd14a5568c481c6b.png

IMO I bag you pardon, maybe it would be better to involve some more time to really investigate where all of this one and thousands similar cases are proved to be pure sad true? If you have a will, I can provide it to you, but not here to further contaminate thread already polluted  with superficial news level.  I think, It's surely not at all about someone's favorite side (dirty and immoral ones are everywhere the same) - which you introduced with something that has to be a provocative joke and default fact - but about favorite and really independent state of mind.

And of course, my big apologize to you and all others - it is always my dilemma weather to answer to something I feel as superficial provocations that sometimes arise at inappropriate  place. Maybe just only to remind all of us (with me as so sadly often first-place-candidate!) and add suggestion at called-out level of picture-to-picture answer

Asimov.jpg

On 8/21/2020 at 8:23 AM, User said:

Yes. But if Canon didn't do this, it could be your last camera purchase. 

Nay! They'll find something that future us's can't live without. 16 stops of dynamic range or vastly more efficient codec are 2 obvious ones. Metamaterial lenses, 16k VR, allowing reframing, lightfield capture....

On 8/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I am absolutely not saying that someone who had an R5 could use a good old fashioned CR2032 battery eliminator in the camera then bring it out through the camera enabling them to provide a switchable power source to it to effectively remove/re-insert it without taking the camera apart each time they want to reset the recovery time.

I'm absolutely not saying that.

Someone else might say that.

But, just to be clear, I'm not saying that at all, OK?

nice GIF

If there was a way to feed the correct time and date, and saved settings back to the camera that would be niiiiiiiiicer

• Super Members
15 hours ago, gethin said:

If there was a way to feed the correct time and date, and saved settings back to the camera that would be niiiiiiiiicer

Whilst the hope is that Canon will fix this properly, the probe app (which we made after the temperature monitoring one) can be used to restore the majority of user preferences, not a big deal to get it to chain them into one big faux preset to send back to the camera.

schmoking.gif.73118f9c19992a868bd3df2b18eac475.gif

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Whilst the hope is that Canon will fix this properly, the probe app (which we made after the temperature monitoring one) can be used to restore the majority of user preferences, not a big deal to get it to chain them into one big faux preset to send back to the camera.

That is awesome. 😁.

Aren't $4000 cameras that you have to hack just to get them to do what it says on the tin brilliant? 😉

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nice. Not that very practical while shooting though, unlocking smartphone, making connection, opening app, pushing the settings. I power off my camera a lot while shooting to save battery. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Nice. Not that very practical while shooting though, unlocking smartphone, making connection, opening app, pushing the settings. I power off my camera a lot while shooting to save battery. 

So you don't mind having to format your cards in a PC, jamming a screw into the microswitch of the battery compartment, making a sacrificial recording while ejecting the battery and reconstructing the files on a PC later but you draw the line at switching the wifi on ?

😉

Only kidding.

The entire process of getting around this is currently impractical but if it ultimately ends up with Canon stonewalling the issue and not fixing it with firmware then my point was that there is a method there to restore your settings if the only solution ends up being the data clearing internal battery reset process.

Call it doomsday prepping if you will.

Although, for what its worth, if it does prove necessary then I can use the same principle to do this with a small hardware box that plugs into the USB port and does it that way so at least we can take the wifi/smartphone step off the list.

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So you don't mind having to format your cards in a PC, jamming a screw into the microswitch of the battery compartment, making a sacrificial recording while ejecting the battery and reconstructing the files on a PC later but you draw the line at switching the wifi on ?

😉

You're not kidding, seems fine to me. Where/when can we get it? :- )

I continue to read and see youtube video about and I am wondering... Why Canon is still waiting to reply?

The strange is that... https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/au/news/canon-eos-r5-outsells-everything-in-japan

That's according to sales data compiled by Capa Camera (by way of Canon Watch) for the first half of the month (the period from 01-15 August):

01 – Canon EOS R5
02 – Sony A7 III
03 – Sony A6400 (Lens Kit)
04 – Sony A7 III (Lens Kit)
05 – Nikon Z 50 (Double Zoom Kit)
06 – Sony A7R IV
07 – Nikon Z6 (24-70mm Lens)
08 – Nikon D6
09 – Canon EOS M50 (Kit Lens)
10 – Nikon D5600 (Double Kit lens) 

How that is it possible?

• Administrators

Japan camera sales are in a world of their own a lot of the time

They're not very representative of the overall picture.

The EOS R5 is the new hot thing (literally) so it is going to sell well at the start. A lot of Canon users out there. A lot of 5D Mark IV owners looking to upgrade for stills and get into mirrorless cameras.

A chart only tells you the relative story

The absolute story at the moment is one of dire sales numbers due to the pandemic, almost everywhere you look