Canon silently recalling EOS R5?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Canon's underhanded actions once again. Not that we should be surprised by this point.

So the 'unlucky' people that didn't get their R5 - basically dodged a bullet.

What about the 'lucky' people that actually received an R5? What's Canon doing for those guys? What do they get for their 4K?

TBH and with best wishes to mr Reid's efforts that already achieved their honest goal without supporters - that bald guy looks to me as just another package of obscurity.  As also his (more sympathetic naive) psychologically typical advisory/conspiracy space arrangement of deep knowledge cave. IMO someone stole his dreamy ideal - so let's to be a little part of it.

It looks as counter-twin brother of that another advisory guy with presenting room where forever stays Christmas Eve...

Who can really know besides Canon, however at the time of the official R5 launch, I had open a pre-order for the R5 at one shop and at another shop I had a pre-order for R5 and the R6.  I received R5 shipping notification July 29th from the one shop where I pre-ordered the R5 only,  but the shop where I had a pre-order for the R5 and R6 sent the following email on the 31st of July.

"We have cancelled your pre-order for the R5. A refund has been processed and will be in your account in 3-4 business days. I found out only yesterday that there was a delay that was not communicated with us from Canon that has affected our ability to ship the R5 and will also affect our ability to ship the R6 on time as well."

So thinking back, I have never seen or heard of a shop automatically cancelling and refunding payments to customers unless they had a real reason to do so. 

13 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

"We have cancelled your pre-order for the R5. A refund has been processed and will be in your account in 3-4 business days. I found out only yesterday that there was a delay that was not communicated with us from Canon that has affected our ability to ship the R5 and will also affect our ability to ship the R6 on time as well."

So thinking back, I have never seen or heard of a shop automatically cancelling and refunding payments to customers unless they had a real reason to do so. 

Manufacturers usually like to ship their new product and retailers usually like to sell them to customers. Obviously the standard response would be to await stock to fulfill back orders. A refund is pretty telling. I don't think you need to be Alex Jones to see what's happened here.

2 minutes ago, Davos said:

Manufacturers usually like to ship their new product and retailers usually like to sell them to customers. Obviously the standard response would be to await stock to fulfill back orders. A refund is pretty telling. I don't think you need to be Alex Jones to see what's happened here.

That was exactly my point.

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

ProAv talking about overheating, and customer response calls... The confusion of the R5.  It's all weird! 

I like ProAV as a company to buy from and their videos about products are hype free and informative.

However, I think that video is a misstep by them and there are some presumptions in there from them about how you could use it that won't leave them with a leg to stand on when people want to return them.

I'm utterly baffled why they would make a video about something with that many caveats in it without closing with "and of course we won't be taking any orders for these until all of these issues are at the very least clarified by Canon".

Meanwhile someone in Texas just posted an ad on Fred Miranda's Buy/Sell boards offering one of the two R5's that he says are being delivered Friday. Anything the bald guy claims is a load of BS, he clearly has zero insider knowledge and just makes up clickbait garbage. He's just a gear collector that rambles about nonsense. He's been called out for stealing images and claiming they were his. 

Chris

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I like ProAV as a company to buy from and their videos about products are hype free and informative.

However, I think that video is a misstep by them and there are some presumptions in there from them about how you could use it that won't leave them with a leg to stand on when people want to return them.

I'm utterly baffled why they would make a video about something with that many caveats in it without closing with "and of course we won't be taking any orders for these until all of these issues are at the very least clarified by Canon".

Likewise, over the years bought lots of gear from Pro AV, one of the better suppliers. But him ending with 'for lots of people looking for a hybrid this is one of the best options' is a pretty damning thing to say with a straight face.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I agree, I usually like their videos... but you pinpointed my reasoning for posting this video here. 

7 minutes ago, Davos said:

Likewise, over the years bought lots of gear from Pro AV, one of the better suppliers. But him ending with 'for lots of people looking for a hybrid this is one of the best options' is a pretty damning thing to say with a straight face.

'People that tend to do more stills than video work, but still do quite a bit of video work, this is going to be great'.  another quote that stood out...  the problem with these kind of statements is, its not what Canon said the camera would be! I remember DPreview, and Canonrumors were full of frustrated photographers feeling left out because all Canon was promoting on this camera was the video specs of this so-called hybrid.

• Super Members

Thinking about it, I'd go as far as to say that he's talking in such cautionary terms about the video features as though he were describing them as being some sort of "use at your own risk" modification like Magic Lantern rather than an actual finished, manufactured, retail product from a world leading brand.

It is utterly, utterly weird.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thinking about it, I'd go as far as to say that he's talking in such cautionary terms about the video features as though he were describing them as being some sort of "use at your own risk" modification like Magic Lantern rather than an actual finished, manufactured, retail product from a world leading brand.

Very weird...

Speaking on the external recording, He actually says  'we don't know if it has potential to damage your camera, and please do keep that in mind' 

I guess if Canon doesn't speak to it, the shops have to say something to their customers. 

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

You know what I think lies behind this 'weirdness', which is widespread amongst retailers, prospective / actual customers, YT'ers etc. People wanted to believe it was all possible. They really really wanted what Canon appeared to be offering. The desire was on another level to previous new camera launches. This was Canon after all. 

The problem is it's turned typically more rational individuals into accepting a situation they really shouldn't. Making all manner of excuses for Canon, accepting all the ridiculous 'workarounds' etc. Basically turning them into fanboy lite. 

1 hour ago, mechanicalEYE said:

ProAv talking about overheating, and customer response calls... The confusion of the R5.  It's all weird! 

As I've replied on YouTube – all modes "overheat"! It's just that the message about it is displayed only when switching to 8K / 4K HQ / slow motion.

Meaning: you can be sitting in the menus, or taking a couple of stills for an hour. As soon as you switch to video – camera will let you know it was "overheating" all this time and can no longer film. Even power off.

It puzzles me why won't Canon do a hybrid camera for all of us to eventually spend millions on RF glass?