Canon EOS R5 overheated in my fridge! After just 60 JPEGs! (4 °C ambient)

Andrew Reid

40 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

We see Matti mentioning EOSHD, and the other Youtubers are using his articles as reference for uploads, Canon might be trying to figure out how to get Andrew on the team.

Or making sure they never acknowledge that he was right so that in the 'official' narrative he continues to have a question-mark next to his name in the eyes of consumers regarding his track record.

If Canon never acknowledge it then the memories of the event may well be reduced to:

• What happened to that R5 overheating thing?
  • I don't know - that guy was making all sorts of accusations, something about it overheated in his fridge?
  • Was it real?  Did Canon actually stuff it up?
  • They never said anything, and cameras were hard to get at the start, so maybe
  • Was it a faulty unit?
  • Maybe, but I never heard anything about a recall except some talk about something secret
  • I searched the other day and I just got internet people talking, so who knows.
  • And cameras like that ALWAYS have supply problems at the start
  • It must be because EVERYONE wanted one
  • Yeah - it is a great camera - 8K RAW is amazing
  • People must have been beating at Canons door!
  • HAHA, all the VIPs wanted to skip the queue!
  • THE R5 IS AWESOME!!
  • CANON IS AWESOME!!!
  • CANON FOREVER!!!!!!!

If they acknowledge it, that narrative gets changed in a lot of people's heads.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was talking shit... but really even if they dont acknowledge him, I'm sure they know him, and if they do nothing it wont change the fact that there are many "youtubers"  creating videos based on his write ups, all while many R5 hopefuls are still waiting on their R5 pre-orders. Even Matti is talking about canceling his order. LOL

@Andrew Reid, is there any way you could rerun this test except take a jpeg every 10 minutes and then at a higher or lower temperature to see if the same timing to disabled video applies. I'm pretty sure you will get the same result, but it eliminates thermal heating being caused by taking photos or actual temperature. At that point it is merely about the camera being on for one hour. Also have you reached out to others who might be willing to see if they can replicate your results. I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with your experiment but third party corroboration is usually a sign that you are onto something.

The real question I have is how the hell is the camera over 30C higher than the fridge when taking stills.  I could understand 10-15 C but 30 that is nuts.  What happens to the EXIF temp info if the camera is allowed to acclimatize before starting the test does it show near 4C and climb to 33C?

On 8/18/2020 at 9:55 PM, Andrew Reid said:

EOS-R5-in-the-fridge-scaled.jpg

Are you sure it stopped because of overheating Andrew?  That wine bottle next to it looks a bit empty.  Put a cameraman in a fridge with wine bottle, you know!   With artificial intelligence in cameras these days...

• Administrators
On 8/20/2020 at 4:35 PM, Darkmenace said:

The real question I have is how the hell is the camera over 30C higher than the fridge when taking stills.  I could understand 10-15 C but 30 that is nuts.  What happens to the EXIF temp info if the camera is allowed to acclimatize before starting the test does it show near 4C and climb to 33C?

It takes time for camera body to absorb the cold temperatures, and the inside is somewhat insulated. What the fridge does, is to keep the camera a nice 10-15C below the temperature it reports in a normal room. So it has no ambient temperature 'excuse' for overheating, and with no video recorded, no high CPU load excuse either, thus more proof of the timer.