Canon EOS R5 overheated in my fridge! After just 60 JPEGs! (4 °C ambient)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

EOS-R5-in-the-fridge-scaled.jpg

Canon really threw the kitchen sink at the EOS R5 specs sheet. What about the kitchen fridge?

Canon have stated overheating time limits for HQ video recording in a warm 23 °C room.

How does the camera perform in much colder conditions?

Does the EOS R5 still overheat in the Wifi menu in a fridge?

Or do the cold temperature help cool the camera body, which Canon claims act as mitigation for hot components inside?

Read the full article:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5-overheated-in-my-fridge-after-just-60-jpegs-4-c-ambient/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The shut down relates to video mode. When you enter video mode, that's when the shutdown occurs. However, it only takes the 1 hour and 60 JPEGs in stills mode for the timer to shut down the camera with an OVERHEATED! message if you attempt to stay in video mode for more than a minute or so.

So basically, as a stills camera it is claiming dangerous temps that prevent any usage in 4K HQ / 8K video mode, even if these features haven't been used at all.

If this 'overheating' behaviour is to be believed. The fridge and 33C internal temp reported seems to suggest otherwise.

After 5 JPEGs (5 minutes): 34 °C

After 10 JPEGs (10 minutes): 34 °C

After 15 JPEGs (15 minutes): 34 °C

After 20 JPEGs (20 minutes): 34 °C

After 25 JPEGs (25 minutes): 34 °C

After 30 JPEGs (30 minutes): 34 °C

(AT THIS POINT 8K IS CAPPED AT 5 MINUTES)

After 35 JPEGs (35 minutes): 34 °C

After 40 JPEGs (40 minutes): 34 °C

After 45 JPEGs (45 minutes): 34 °C

After 50 JPEGs (50 minutes): 34 °C

After 55 JPEGs (55 minutes): 34 °C

After 60 JPEGs (60 minutes): 33 °C

(AT THIS POINT 8K IS DISABLED – OVERHEATED! SHUTTING DOWN)

33 C...

To me, theres no need for Andrew to test more, this is only confirming suspicions that something about their clock and temps do not align. His camera behaves very very similar to mine with the temp changes during any kind of operation. His fridge 4 °C, or my backyard at 104 °F, doest make much a difference... it behaves in a way that suggest it's more of a clock setting for shutdown than it is internal temp.

my test yesterday drastically different ambient temp. LOL

Each take was 5 minutes per clip, with a Jpeg shot immediately after each clip

EXIF data temps:

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 1. - 31 C

Jpeg: 42 C

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 2. - 41 C

Jpeg: 49 C

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 3. - 48 C

Jpeg: 53 C

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 4. - 53 C

Jpeg: 57 C

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 5.  - 56 C

Jpeg: 59 C

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 6 - 59 C  ( threw the overheat warning 38 seconds into the clip )

Jpeg: 60C

This is after Ive seen the camera operate at 65 C for over an hour, and seemed to hold that temp externally and maintain full internal times instantly after external recording was stopped.

I'm going to put on a Canon fanboy hat and say maybe it is just a bug in the software and they will fix it soon. But wait, no that hat just doesn't fit me.....this is complete BS and nothing short of a failure of epic proportions.  Every new finding just makes me wish I didn't own so much Canon glass and Canon gear. 

Well Andrews findings are going mainstream now so Canon is going to have to address it soon and explain what is going on bug or malfunction or otherwise.

Whats nice is any concerned R5 owner can repeat this test and see for themselves and make their own conclusion. Personally, after doing this test and watching that message “overheating! Shutting down” appear on screen while my camera is in a 4C fridge with reported temperatures well below starting temperatures in a 24C room I would be pissed. Especially when you go to get your camera and its cold to the touch.

What a mess Canon made. If they wanted to protect their cinema line, they should have just put a 5-min time limit on the 8k and 4khq modes instead of an overheat timer. That way it was at least usable as a b-cam. Now you have an unreliable piece of expensive junk you cannot trust at all.

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

Whats nice is any concerned R5 owner can repeat this test and see for themselves and make their own conclusion.

This is what I'm getting at - keeping the variables for the test the same. The problem with tests shooting in different external temps and different video modes for different amounts of time is this isn't consistent.

Andrew's test keeps the external temp consistent and the 'load' on the camera the same (60 pics in an hour). If multiple R5 owners repeat the exact same test and get the same results you're getting something approaching empirical evidence which would make the case even stronger there are internal limits being applied. It'd be even harder for Canon to ignore.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

5 minute 4k HQ Video take 6 - 59 C  ( threw the overheat warning 38 seconds into the clip )

This is after Ive seen the camera operate at 65 C for over an hour, and seemed to hold that temp externally and maintain full internal times instantly after external recording was stopped.

Very good point, thanks.

So we have a range of Internal temp from 33C to 65C, with OVERHEATED! SHUTTING DOWN error at 33C but not at 65C.

And do we need to put it in the damn oven before we get a response from Canon?

• Administrators

What I find most troubling is Canon even saying in the official "media alert" that the housing mitigates the temps and helps cool the powerful chip, yet there is no attempt whatsoever to achieve good thermal conductivity between the main CPU and the casing, no thermal pad, and PCB blocking it.

So are they lying to us?

I don't know for sure what happens in the firmware, but that raises a lot of questions, but the slam dunk to me is the internal layout. What kind of mitigation is the magnesium alloy casing in a fridge, when the camera still throws the overheat warning after no mins recorded in 8K video mode?

It is none.

Here's what Canon said:

"Magnesium alloy was used in the body to dissipate heat away from internal components"

And here's their PR response from the UK team to me:

"I can confirm that we have shared your comments with Canon inc. in Tokyo and investigations are ongoing regarding the points you raise."

"As you are aware, the EOS R5 is a hybrid stills and video full-frame mirrorless camera and not a dedicated video camera. We have packed a lot of technology into a compact body design to increase the range of shooting possibilities for our customers."

"There are inevitably limitations with the compact body design of the EOS R5. A wide range of factors must be considered, and a balance found between its function as a stills camera and its video capabilities. This is why we continue to offer a full line-up of video cameras from entry level to high-end cinema to meet the different requirements of the different forms of video production."

Anyone notice the up-sell at the end?

Andrew, thanks for doing this simple, repeatable and crystal-clear test.  Could I please request that you try to develop an in-camera graded look like Sony Pro Color for the Nikon Z-Series?  Your Z-Log is fantastic and works really well with the Pro-Log LUTs (in addition to the Z-Log LUTs), but for many videos I would like to have footage that looks good straight out of camera.

Why am I talking about Nikon on a Canon forum you ask?  Because this topic convinced me to buy the Nikon Z6.  I couldn't risk having an unreliable tool from Canon.

23 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd like to hear from Tilta as well as Canon.

If my fridge doesn't cool the camera externally what does their fan do differently?

Canon said officially: "Use an external fan to dissipate heat"

Well I used an external fridge to dissipate heat and it made no fucking difference.

It requires more than a single intervention but a full mod.