How Bad are Vormax Lens Diopters

HockeyFan12

I know the anamorphic adapters themselves aren't... very good... 

But how complicated can a one-element diopter be?

The 95mm 0.5 and 95mm 1 diopters are $200 for the set, about 1/4 what a bespoke set would cost from Schneider and 1/20th what it would cost to get Digidiopters. 

Has anyone tried these?

Not the variable diopters, either, but just a close up filter.

• 8 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I own the 0.5 and 1, and they do their job. I haven’t done a complete test of any image degradation but from seeing how they perform through a viewfinder they do just fine. I agree that their other products aren’t great but these filters seem to be good ones. It just stinks that they seem to be the only ones making 95mm diopters at less than +1 strength.

13 hours ago, Grant Boehne said:

I own the 0.5 and 1, and they do their job. I haven’t done a complete test of any image degradation but from seeing how they perform through a viewfinder they do just fine. I agree that their other products aren’t great but these filters seem to be good ones. It just stinks that they seem to be the only ones making 95mm diopters at less than +1 strength.

Thanks, that's encouraging. And yeah it is frustrating. I have a set of 95mm Vivitar diopters that are +1 and strong and that set was $20 I think... but they're not even coated and seem pretty primitive. Are the Vormax lens diopters coated?

Schneider will cut fractional diopters custom to 95mm but you're paying about $400 per diopter in that case. 

Digidiopters are 95mm and optically excellent from what I understand. But they're also large and very very expensive. 

On 5/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, HockeyFan12 said:

Thanks, that's encouraging. And yeah it is frustrating. I have a set of 95mm Vivitar diopters that are +1 and strong and that set was $20 I think... but they're not even coated and seem pretty primitive. Are the Vormax lens diopters coated?

Schneider will cut fractional diopters custom to 95mm but you're paying about $400 per diopter in that case. 

Digidiopters are 95mm and optically excellent from what I understand. But they're also large and very very expensive. 

I’m gonna say no, just because I don’t see a difference in the way light sources are captured with or without the diopter. But again I haven’t done a thorough test of them so that might be something you’d want to double check with vormax on.

Thank you for the recommendations. At those costs it might be easier to just get a rapido 35a, but I will look into those.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Henchman said:

and he said it' very good.

and we trust Tito so much that we believe everything that comes out of his mouth, especially when he pushes chinese anamorphic stuff in his lousy youtube channel for $$$$$$$$. Wake up my friend!

2 hours ago, Cosimo said:

and we trust Tito so much that we believe everything that comes out of his mouth, especially when he pushes chinese anamorphic stuff in his lousy youtube channel for $$$$$$$$. Wake up my friend!

Well, aren't we a big sandwich of bitterness.