Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

Latest Firmware : AFX v1.7 for all camera types/Blackmagic Cameras With v7.3 installed

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Slightly later than planned as a couple more things were added but AFX v1.7 is now available.

There is a quick run through of the new FOCUS RECORDER here :

The full release notes for AFX v1.7 are below :

(All camera types/Blackmagic Cameras With v7.3 installed)

• New "FOCUS RECORDER" function to enable the real time recording and playback of up to two minutes of focus movements. The "FOCUS RECORDER" is accessed through the newly expanded "AFX ADJUSTMENTS MENU".
  • New "GLOBAL OFFSET" function to provide -20/+20 cm adjustment to compensate for mounting the AFX in a different position from the original calibration point. This function is global so affects all lenses and is in addition to the individual offset available when loading a lens. The "GLOBAL OFFSET" is accessed through the newly expanded "AFX ADJUSTMENTS MENU".
  • New "TURBO" option added to "CALIBRATION MODE" types to allow calibration at 50 ("PRECISION"), 25 ("FAST") and now 15 ("TURBO") points. Please note that although the AFX interpolation functionality obviously generates additional focus positions between these calibration points, it is recommended to use the PRECISION mode to provide greater accuracy with very wide aperture lenses.
  • Navigation between "CALIBRATION POINTS"can now be both forward and backwards by pressing the A button on the R1 to move forward and the B button on the R1 to move backwards.
  • Current "CALIBRATION TRACK" can be cleared and reset to its initial starting point by pressing the LOWER TRIGGER on the R1.
  • Navigation between manufacturer names in "CAMERA" and "LENS" fields can now be both forwards and backwards by a SHORT press of the A button on the AFX to move the the next name and a LONG press of the B button on the AFX to move to the previous one.
  • Inverted screen mode status is now stored as a global preference and recalled on each boot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Super Members

There will be another production run when the lengthy lead times for components and, more importantly, the resulting price hikes for them have been resolved.

If you have contacted CDA-TEK with an enquiry about the AFX then you should be receiving an email update about it shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

@Sammysammy I have respnded to your PM .

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

As I told you as reply to your couple of PM, better to ask it directly to the project's owner @BTM_Pix he will clarify you in all details you need I'm pretty sure, give him only time for : ) it's still a bit early morning in Europe as of this time :- )

As an FYI mate, I prefer all tech support requests to be directed to cdatek.com directly to get a formal response rather than PM on here as its not the correct way for us to track it etc

Thanks

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

@Sammysammy I have respnded to your PM .

As an FYI mate, I prefer all tech support requests to be directed to cdatek.com directly to get a formal response rather than PM on here as its not the correct way for us to track it etc

Thanks

I'm sorry to hint them there. I've even tried to say to them to directly contact the company instead, as you can follow reading my entry above-posted. It's not the first time newcomers are looking for that as early adopter of your product. I will obviously tell the people who reach me asking for feedback to do it. No worries : ) Serves this also as written notice to those who come here to read it from now on, well done :- )

31 minutes ago, shooter said:

Without Emanuel I had never found this product.

It is natural when I've been an enthusiastic supporter of this endeavour : ) It has brought the Pockets to a different level indeed :- )

@Sammysammy has also asked me in private for any tutorial to include the Nano setup and third party lens for calibration, as well.

@BTM_Pix is there any tutorials for dummies coming? I believe that could become rather useful from the feedback I've heard from potential and actual users too ;- )

• Super Members
On 12/12/2021 at 1:12 PM, Emanuel said:

@BTM_Pix is there any tutorials for dummies coming? I believe that could become rather useful from the feedback I've heard from potential and actual users too ;- )

I'm not sure what the issue is here ?

There are support materials covering all aspects of calibration and operation which have been updated over the past nine months.

All of the following support materials have been publicly published on the project page.

All AFX owners have the updates of these support materials emailed to them automatically at the address they used when they ordered the AFX.

User Guide - The full User Guide for the AFX is available at www.cdatek.com Please note that the User Guide is subject to addition as new features are added so please check that you have the most current version.

Focus Calibration Chart - The focus calibration chart is available for download at www.cdatek.com and should be printed out for use with calibrating your lenses.

Firmware Upgrades - All firmware upgrades are available at www.cdatek.com/afx-upgrade . On this page you will also find the firmware installation guide. The availability of new firmware is announced through the Indiegogo Project Update section and you should receive automatic notifications as they become available.

Video Walkthrough Of Calibration Procedure For Electronic Lenses -  A live walkthrough of the calibration procedure for electronic lenses for Pocket4K/Pocket6K is available here

Video Walkthrough Of Lens Profiling Step For Pocket 6K - The Pocket6K lenses require an additional profiling step prior to the main calibration process and this is covered in a live video walkthrough here 

Video Walkthrough Of Calibration Procedure For Manual Focus Lenses - A live walkthrough of the calibration procedure for motor controlled manual focus lenses is available here 

Video Walkthrough Of Motor Calibration Procedure For Non Hard Stop Lenses - A live walkthrough of the motor calibration procedure for manual focus lenses that do not have hard stops is available here 

Video Walkthrough Of Zoom Lens Operations - A live walkthrough of the calibration procedure for zoom lenses and their operational considerations is available here 

Video Walkthrough Of Quad Lock - A live walkthrough of the functionality and operation of the QuadLock system is available here 

Example Of Using Adapted EF Lens On Pocket4K - Example of AFX AF-C performance on the Pocket4K using a Metabones Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35mm EF lens is available here 

Comparison Of AF-X AF Performance With Pocket 6K Internal AF - A comparison of the performance of the AFX in AF-C mode on a Pocket 6K with a Sigma 18-35mm EF lens versus the camera's own internal AF system is available here 

Video walkthrough of new Focus Recorder function in AFX v1.7 is available here

Video walkthrough of the Firmware Update Process is available here 

Thanks for your input and information, as usual : )

What I've heard is:

"I’m having a hard time figuring things out";

"I’m having hard time eying to connect this with nano for 3rd party camera and manual lenses ,manual very hard to follow".

Sic, i.e., directly quoted.

And this is only a part of some private messaging addressed to me :- )

• 1 month later...

Can I just confirm that the module itself can perform continuous autofocus on the bmpcc 6k strictly by bluetooth (after lens calibration)? Like no nucleus or other external parts needed for c-af? Looking to purchase, but I want to make sure it can work with just the box module on top of my bmpcc 6k and nothing else

• Super Members
On 2/1/2022 at 5:51 PM, bearbear said:

Can I just confirm that the module itself can perform continuous autofocus on the bmpcc 6k strictly by bluetooth (after lens calibration)? Like no nucleus or other external parts needed for c-af? Looking to purchase, but I want to make sure it can work with just the box module on top of my bmpcc 6k and nothing else

Yes, if you are using electronic EF lenses then there are no additional requirements.

If you are using manual focus lenses then of course you need to add Nucleus-N or M motors.

As above, the current production have all sold out and there will be another run when the component cost/supply chain issues have settled down so there is no ETA at the moment.

If you have contacted or do contact cdatek regarding future availability then you will automatically receive an email when they are available.