Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

33 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

It is a regular 3.5mm 4 pole (TRRS) jack cable so something like this 0.3m one is fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braided-Auxiliary-Headphones-Tablets-Headset/dp/B08F2DYYY5

If you are using a Nano motor, the motor end is a 2.5mm 4 pole so if you want to avoid using the adapter then you can have a custom length cable made with the 3.5mm on one end for the AFX and the 2.5mm on the Nano end.

I'm good with knowing the style.

For US users I found this one.
Right angle on one side, so it will sit more flush on the AFX itself.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01K3WY7HG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3KGAE08TN045C11W6HV2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Replaced all the cables of the AFX with my own. I also found the USB power connector to be  loose. Prone to losing power. So I made a little support mount that slips over the power connector and AFX control plug that keeps it firmly in place.

20210609_081605.thumb.jpeg.2a3628be9a8270377cd061e906152678.jpeg20210609_081548.thumb.jpeg.00e81843ae5713864aaad3c339fd37be.jpeg20210609_081540.thumb.jpeg.1d851238f4d8955ee7bcce6a0ce9daab.jpeg

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Henchman said:

Loving the AFX so far. Can you get the setting for having it upside down, and the offset be made permanent? 

The invert display option will be saveable in the next firmware update.

With regard to the offset, are you referring to the offset option on lens load ?

• Super Members
9 hours ago, Henchman said:

Yes. 

The calibration offset has the potential to generate confusion for some users - and hence more support requests - if they inadvertently left it set on its last position so it will remain dynamic on lens load.

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The calibration offset has the potential to generate confusion for some users - and hence more support requests - if they inadvertently left it set on its last position so it will remain dynamic on lens load.

Is there a world where one could use the controller to fine tune focus after startup, and that offset be maintained until turning off. 

• Super Members
On 6/19/2021 at 3:55 AM, Henchman said:

Is there a world where one could use the controller to fine tune focus after startup, and that offset be maintained until turning off. 

There could be.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, Henchman said:

Another question. Are there other controllers compatible to the R1 that are ergonomically might work better. 

There could be one that we may release based on something that we previously did for the PBC but didn't release.

• 4 weeks later...

Try as I might, I cannot get the quad control to work.
How do you get it into that mode?

I've read the manual, and no idea.

I am using it with the BMPCC 4k and the Tilta focus motor.
I can program the points. But when pressing the ABCD buttons, nothing happens. Except for C and D, which continue to change the ISO.

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, Henchman said:

Try as I might, I cannot get the quad control to work.
How do you get it into that mode?

I've read the manual, and no idea.

I am using it with the BMPCC 4k and the Tilta focus motor.
I can program the points. But when pressing the ABCD buttons, nothing happens. Except for C and D, which continue to change the ISO.

You need to be in Focus mode rather than Control mode.

For the P4K, you can toggle between the two modes by either a short press of the B button on the AFX itself or a long press of the upper trigger on the R1.

(Page 23 of the User Guide by the way 😉 )

The current mode you are in is indicated when you are on the Control screen (left) by "C" or "F" below the shutter angle and if you are in the Focus screen by the T0-T3/N transition value being shown next to the aperture display in the bottom right hand corner.

1172889023_ScreenShot2021-07-19at00_05_16.png.cb3696407333acedbd30170ebeb6a97c.png

Absolutely amazing at this level... : )

I'd firmly nominate you for an Academy Award for Technical Achievement aka Technical Oscar and trust me, from my experience with my previous Herr Doktor Horst Linge (Isco), your achievement is on such list ; )

You're a third party player, not a major camera manufacturer bigwig (yet) !

;- )

- E.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

You need to be in Focus mode rather than Control mode.

For the P4K, you can toggle between the two modes by either a short press of the B button on the AFX itself or a long press of the upper trigger on the R1.

(Page 23 of the User Guide by the way 😉 )

The current mode you are in is indicated when you are on the Control screen (left) by "C" or "F" below the shutter angle and if you are in the Focus screen by the T0-T3/N transition value being shown next to the aperture display in the bottom right hand corner.

1172889023_ScreenShot2021-07-19at00_05_16.png.cb3696407333acedbd30170ebeb6a97c.png

Ah, I didn't realize that the "B" button mentioned was the one on the sensor, not the controller.
Maybe change the name to buttons "1" and "2" on the AFX. 

Mark

21 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Absolutely amazing at this level... : )

I'd firmly nominate you for an Academy Award for Technical Achievement aka Technical Oscar...

Agreed. Without idea if the technical Oscar suits the job but look, this is extraordinary, I've never seen anything like it before. Underrated accessory product that is actually camera life-changing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Slightly later than planned as a couple more things were added but AFX v1.7 is now available.

There is a quick run through of the new FOCUS RECORDER here :

The full release notes for AFX v1.7 are below :

(All camera types/Blackmagic Cameras With v7.3 installed)

• New "FOCUS RECORDER" function to enable the real time recording and playback of up to two minutes of focus movements. The "FOCUS RECORDER" is accessed through the newly expanded "AFX ADJUSTMENTS MENU".
  • New "GLOBAL OFFSET" function to provide -20/+20 cm adjustment to compensate for mounting the AFX in a different position from the original calibration point. This function is global so affects all lenses and is in addition to the individual offset available when loading a lens. The "GLOBAL OFFSET" is accessed through the newly expanded "AFX ADJUSTMENTS MENU".
  • New "TURBO" option added to "CALIBRATION MODE" types to allow calibration at 50 ("PRECISION"), 25 ("FAST") and now 15 ("TURBO") points. Please note that although the AFX interpolation functionality obviously generates additional focus positions between these calibration points, it is recommended to use the PRECISION mode to provide greater accuracy with very wide aperture lenses.
  • Navigation between "CALIBRATION POINTS"can now be both forward and backwards by pressing the A button on the R1 to move forward and the B button on the R1 to move backwards.
  • Current "CALIBRATION TRACK" can be cleared and reset to its initial starting point by pressing the LOWER TRIGGER on the R1.
  • Navigation between manufacturer names in "CAMERA" and "LENS" fields can now be both forwards and backwards by a SHORT press of the A button on the AFX to move the the next name and a LONG press of the B button on the AFX to move to the previous one.
  • Inverted screen mode status is now stored as a global preference and recalled on each boot.