Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

• Super Members
Just now, Henchman said:

Ok, so I just want to make sure I understand.
If I set the focus calibration of a near and distant point on both lenses. Will it track everything inbetween? 

Yes that is the principle but to enable more precision, you can actually calibrate up to 100 positions and it will then interpolate between those if necessary.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
On 11/16/2020 at 5:36 AM, Emanuel said:

Here I am ; )

Russian lenses other than Lomo and Zenit or Mir?

A lot of them are covered under KMZ but I'll add the others.

Thanks.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:51 AM, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Komura

Kodak/Eastman Kodak

But I am not sure how compatible all of their lenses are with your focusing system...

Thanks

Basic rule of thumb is that if you can get a lens gear on it then it is compatible.

Thats a big "if" though for a number of lenses.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:47 PM, BTM_Pix said:

MMX is the first add on for the AFX and is available to pre-order now on the AFX Indiegogo page.

MMX is a multi-motor wireless expansion module that enables you to control up to three N/M motors in any combination.

196630713_MMX001.thumb.jpg.a89984e146ac602a53207a437f9d9cd1.jpg

This means that using the MMX, you can not only control the focus of your manual lens from the AFX but also, for example, its zoom and iris controls.

The MMX has two operational modes, called Single and Dual.

In Single mode, each motor is individually calibrated and they are then operated independently.

In Dual mode, two of the motors are used to create a bonded calibration that would typically be used for a dual focus anamorphic setup and effectively transforming it into a single focus system.

And of course this ganged control of dual focus anamorphic lens systems also means they can now also benefit from the the auto focus capabilities offered by the AFX.

1964952416_MMX004.thumb.jpg.7d59c68d33c80758a90951510cd58631.jpg

For iris control, you are also able to calibrate one of your motors to the T stops on your lens and then use the controller on the AFX to switch between them as though it had electronic aperture control.

The MMX can control any combination of Tilta Nucleus N or M motors on its three ports and is powered by the motor on port one.

The MMX connects to the AFX wirelessly over Bluetooth Low Energy but can also be used with a wired connection.

When using the Tilta Nucleus N motors, you can use the included interface cable and users with Nucleus M motors will require an additional interface cable.

The MMX is available as a pre-order perk now for €105 and will be available to ship with your AFX.

What's the difference between them, N and M models?

Why three cables for M model?

Don't I need any cable if I am using the Nano?

Tilta Nucleus N is Nano, yes?

• Super Members
19 hours ago, Henchman said:

Now, what if one wants to use a lens that has autofocus in combination with a single motor.
Is that possible?

If you want to use an autofocus lens with a motor then you would put it in manual and put a gear on it.

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, shooter said:

What's the difference between them, N and M models?

Why three cables for M model?

Don't I need any cable if I am using the Nano?

Tilta Nucleus N is Nano, yes?

N is the smaller (and cheaper) motor and can be powered by 5v but it has less torque, although that can be boosted using a larger power source.

The three different cables for the M motor are

1) Data only for connection to the AFX.

2) Data connection to the AFX with USB outlet supplied from the M to power the AFX.

3) Data AND power connection to the MMX with USB outlet to power the AFX.

So for the AFX, the choice is with or without USB dependent on what the user wants.

Cable 3 is ONLY required for the FIRST port connected to the MMX (as it will be powering it) and any additonal M motors that are connected to the other ports can use either of the two other ones.

No additonal cables are required for the Nucleus N motors as you are provided this with the AFX and an additional one if you buy the MMX.

Yes, N is Nucleus Nano.

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

N is the smaller (and cheaper) motor and can be powered by 5v but it has less torque, although that can be boosted using a larger power source.

The three different cables for the M motor are

1) Data only for connection to the AFX.

2) Data connection to the AFX with USB outlet supplied from the M to power the AFX.

3) Data AND power connection to the MMX with USB outlet to power the AFX.

So for the AFX, the choice is with or without USB dependent on what the user wants.

Cable 3 is ONLY required for the FIRST port connected to the MMX (as it will be powering it) and any additonal M motors that are connected to the other ports can use either of the two other ones.

No additonal cables are required for the Nucleus N motors as you are provided this with the AFX and an additional one if you buy the MMX.

Yes, N is Nucleus Nano.

Let me know if I understand this correctly: one cable is included with the AFX which can power it and connect data on an M Motor.

therefore, to run a second M Motor via the MMX and to power it as well, only one cable 3 is needed?

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Henchman said:

But, would it be able in the future to use the motor of an autofocus in combination wiht a gear for the Anamorphic scope.
Just an Idea.

For Pocket4K/6K where we control the focus of the electronic lens then yes this would be a possibility.

1 hour ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Let me know if I understand this correctly: one cable is included with the AFX which can power it and connect data on an M Motor.

therefore, to run a second M Motor via the MMX and to power it as well, only one cable 3 is needed?

No, it is only the cable for the N motor that is included. 

Every M motor that you use whether it is directly connected to the AFX or connected to the MMX requires an adapter cable.

We use the N port size as the "standard" to keep the footprint and cost down as the M port requires the much bigger and obviously far more expensive 7 pin connector.  The N motor is also far more common than the M motor amongst our users.

Therefore, every M motor used requires a cable to adapt to that "standard".

So, for anyone just using an AFX and a single M motor, they need to buy either cable type 1 or cable type 2 depending on whether they want the USB outlet to power the AFX or if they are OK to just run it on its own internal battery.

For anyone using an MMX, the first M motor that they use must use cable type 3 as this is the one that will power the MMX itself and with its USB outlet it can also of course power the AFX. 

For subsequent M motors that they attach to the other ports of the MMX they will need either cable type 1 or cable type 2.

I have a few questions (planning on buying anyway).

1) Would it be possible to have 2 profiles for each lens? For example 1 for when the sensor is mounted on top of the camera (while on tripod) and one for when the sensor is mounted say on the side of a gimbal so as not to make the camera too top heavy. I realise you can re-calibrate, but it would be nice so as not to waste time, have the ability to pre-calibrate.

2) How does this work with zoom lenses that are not parfocal?

3) What about usage with "focus by wire" lenses - example Olympus 12-40 Zuiko? Do you use it in the hard-stops mode or with the "clutch" disengaged? (and this is also not a parfocal lens).

Thanks 

Chris

• Super Members
On 11/20/2020 at 2:27 AM, Caleb Genheimer said:

Is it possible to use the MMX “manually?” AKA with a wireless focus wheel? Or is it only controlled by the AFX?

Yes, the AFX supports the Nucleus Nano wheel over BLE and this can be bridged to the MMX.