Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The timing! I’m in the middle of making my own similar device, with a raspberry pi zero, only mine will offer both LIDAR-based AF for my Pocket4K as well as SteadXP-type stabilization using a gyroscope and accelerometer.

Mine is for me though, no plans to sell, so we can skip the cease and desist letters.

I am also working on an iOS app for the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max that will do the same things, use the phone’s LIDAR to control BMPCC’s af as well as record movement with gyro and accelerometer for stabilization. That one will be available soon.

5DDE835C-A3A7-45C5-87D7-D8143CE39314.jpeg

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

Any chance you'll upgrade firmware to work without motor with the Sigma FP with L lenses or MC21 adapter?

The issue with the FP is that the only way to control it is through the USB port which then, of course, stops you shooting to SSD

So whilst we were keen to support the FP (as we love the camera) its likely going to be too much of a trade off for users to be a viable option.

12 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

I just pledged on Indiegogo for my BMPCC 4K. Can't wait!

Thanks for your support.

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The issue with the FP is that the only way to control it is through the USB port which then, of course, stops you shooting to SSD

So whilst we were keen to support the FP (as we love the camera) its likely going to be too much of a trade off for users to be a viable option.

Thanks for your support.

One last plea - how about using a Ninja V leaving USB open for the AFX?

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

One last plea - how about using a Ninja V leaving USB open for the AFX?

Its an option but would require an additional USB module for the AFX too.

I'm not ruling that out (as it would suit other cameras too) but there a couple of other modules ahead of it in the development queue.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its an option but would require an additional USB module for the AFX too.

I'm not ruling that out (as it would suit other cameras too) but there a couple of other modules ahead of it in the development queue.

I'll keep hoping - the FP is my favorite. Good luck with the future modules.

40 minutes ago, secretgoldfish said:

every pro camera should probably have a lidar scanner inbuilt for focus AND to generate a depth Matte to help with isolating subjects in post, include an accelerometer and some frame by frame meta-data and you have a scene tracked camera TOO for post!

ARRI has this for their cameras but its more of a focus puller cheat device (giving the focus puller a realtime window of the focus plane) than a autofocus method. I’m not sure if it uses LIDAR or ultrasonic.

Purchased, and can't wait to receive it. The original PCB made my Pocket 4k experience so much better. 2 quick questions:

1. Will this new module still link with the nano wheel, allowing you to pull focus with ef/native lenses in addition to the autofocus?

2. are there any good solutions for mounting the handheld controller to a cage or rail system? I understand its need, but I also rarely have a free hand while operating the camera and would hate to be putting it in my pocket or something.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, pryde said:

Will this new module still link with the nano wheel, allowing you to pull focus with ef/native lenses in addition to the autofocus?

Yes it does.

So if you have the Nano wheel you can also use it to set focus points for the QuadLock system etc.

4 hours ago, pryde said:

Are there any good solutions for mounting the handheld controller to a cage or rail system? I understand its need, but I also rarely have a free hand while operating the camera and would hate to be putting it in my pocket or something.

You can use one of these clamps like this and then that gives you the 1/4 20 thread so the ability to mount it on an arm etc etc

16038819821161174999133.thumb.jpg.4ff9903e9d2b946e64e0f08529308f93.jpg

A two pack of them with ball head adapters are £17 on Amazon and will give you a lot of flexibility and are just generally useful bits of kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2Pack-ChromLives-Camera-Clamp-Monitor/dp/B07GZ1D4BB

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Nerv said:

So how do you set which point to focus on?

It will auto focus to closest point in the central area.

You control the switch between AF and manual modes with a trigger on the controller.

So you can be manually focused and then press the trigger and it will engage the AF.

In AF-S mode it will then not re-adjust until you press the trigger again so you can just use it to get and initial lock and then manually adjust from there or you can switch to AF-C mode where it will constantly re-focus on whatever is in the central area.

The QuadLock system lets you set four different focus points in the scene either manually or using  AF-S and then switch between them with adjustable transition time.

QuadLock also has an additional function where you set one of the previously stored points as a target and then manually focus and it will automatically stop when you reach the target focus position ensuring that you do not overshoot.

8 minutes ago, Stab said:

Does it work with any camera? My panny S1 and s5?? 

It will work with those cameras with manual focus lenses but it will obviously not do any of the camera parameter control and motorless operations that the BM cameras can use.

10 minutes ago, Stab said:

Does it do or support eye / body af? Or can it only track an object in the middle of the frame in afc? 

The core AFX module does not support eye or body AF.

But the next add on module for it does.