Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

• Super Members
On 10/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, Emanuel said:

Any word on that second version to also be implemented?

As this version now has motor control incorporated, it will now also act as the base unit for an additional add on to connect (wirelessly) to it which will add the the functionality hinted at in this post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
18 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

So, no more two different versions with basic AF and a second one with advanced tracking autofocus then?

No, its now modular so that people can choose to add the functionality if they need it.

This version has continuous centre point AF-C as well as AF-S and manual focus.

The additional module provides the extra stuff.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, matthere said:

This looks great, appreciate the work that has gone into the development, does the module have to be positioned in a particular orientation? could it be positioned in portrait, upside down or under the lens or even hand held? 

Thanks.

It will work in portrait orientation (albeit with a narrower angle) so if you are putting the camera into portrait mode then there is no need to change it but we also recommend it to be in landscape mode because that is the way the info screen on the back is oriented.

With regard to positioning, there is no limitation so you can put it in a hotshoe on the camera, or on top of a cage or a matte box or underneath the lens etc or even behind the camera if you want but obviously the only proviso is that you have it in the same position you had it when doing the initial calibration for the particular lens you are using.

If it wasn't, then its not really a big deal as you can delete the calibration from the internal database and re-do it with the sensor in the new position. Calibration is a simple process and only takes minutes.

As the AFX is battery powered and wireless (save for the small 3.5mm cable if you are using motors) then it is perfectly fine to use it handheld if you want, providing of course you respect the calibration issue.

Handheld is an interesting use case actually as with the QuadLock function you can store up to four focus positions derived from either the sensor or manually (or any combination) and then either move to them automatically with differing dissolve times or have them as targets that you focus to manually without being able to overshoot.

So using it handheld is a useful way to quickly capture the focus targets that you may use in a scene and you could even attach a small laser pointer to the top to give a visual reference while you are doing it.

This is also possible when the AFX is mounted to the camera/rig of course, and would be the more common use case for solo shooters, but there are certain situations where it could be useful, most obviously with a separate person pulling focus.

The other use case of course is for YouTube hosts to solve the "am I in focus?" conundrum because you can sit in front of the camera with it and fire it back at the camera to set the correct focus distance.

Like an incident light meter but for focus 😉

On 10/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, BTM_Pix said:

No, its now modular so that people can choose to add the functionality if they need it.

This version has continuous centre point AF-C as well as AF-S and manual focus.

The additional module provides the extra stuff.

When do you estimate to have the additional module available in the hands of your clients as myself? ;- )

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, shooter said:

How much more will such additional module be?

Its dependent on the final hardware but based on the current prototype (as used in the unmasked face detection tracking video earlier in the thread) we would aim for a sub €200 price.

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its dependent on the final hardware but based on the current prototype (as used in the unmasked face detection tracking video earlier in the thread) we would aim for a sub €200 price.

Twice the price then? I'd be happy with something between €100 and €150 as less as possible. Is it doable?

On 8/19/2020 at 8:42 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Yes but its a fairly long pipe at the moment.

The next most likely version of this particular one is a motor based universal version.

Although the original GX85 hack came from me building a controller for it so you never know I might go back to my roots!

sorry, old quote here - you mean the GX85 color profiles hack or some other one? That hack was what first brought me to this forum haha. I have to thank you. Did I see right you guys are also based in Ireland?? This device looks fantastic btw. Excited for the Oct 26th thing you mentioned also...

• Super Members
1 hour ago, dgvro said:

sorry, old quote here - you mean the GX85 color profiles hack or some other one? That hack was what first brought me to this forum haha. I have to thank you. 

Yeah, the CinelikeD hack came out of me developing a couple of prototype controllers for Panasonic cameras before there was a pivot to the BM cameras.

The PBC, and by extension the AFX, are actually built on that original foundation so if Panasonic introduce BLE control capabilities then its all there ready to go but using WiFi for control is not ideal (more in terms of power/heat with the cameras than the controller) so I'd prefer to avoid it.