Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

@BTM_Pix very impressive!  I have Nucleus M Follow focus and a GH5 or URSA Mini Pro 4.6k both are adapting b4 lenses with the follow focus.  Will I be able to use the first less expensive version or will I want to wait and purchase the more expensive more advanced 2nd version?

Thanks!  Mark 

2nd version all way long, Mark ; ) This is the announcement of the year!

Seems even funny how people out there are focused on minor releases when we have this one here to let a pure cinema camera such as the Pocket series...

Filmmakers won't find any better combo wherever else : P

Writes someone handling cameras professionally for three decades now (E :- ) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Man, I am impressed, so I'm eager for your news on the Pro version to include the tracking mode.

I will post something on Monday probably that gives a hint of it in operation.

With regard to tracking, just to clarify that the first version does have AF-C so will keep lock as a subject approaches or moves away in the focus zone.

3 hours ago, majoraxis said:

@BTM_Pix very impressive!  I have Nucleus M Follow focus and a GH5 or URSA Mini Pro 4.6k both are adapting b4 lenses with the follow focus.  Will I be able to use the first less expensive version or will I want to wait and purchase the more expensive more advanced 2nd version?

Obviously I think you should buy all of them 😉 

For manual focus lenses you will need a version with the motor interface module so you will have to sit tight for that one for a while longer.

There will be a motor version option of this one following not too far behind.

• Super Members

So....

It's obviously no secret that alongside developing the AFX add on, we've also been busy creating a version of it with an interesting additional feature.

More development details will be announced about it when the AFX is available for pre-order.

In the meantime, here are some examples of the additional feature.

Can you, erm,"detect" what that additional feature might actually be doing?

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So....

It's obviously no secret that alongside developing the AFX add on, we've also been busy creating a version of it with an interesting additional feature.

Looking good!

I know this is just a little teaser but I'd love to see how this version tracks a person moving around the frame, toward and away from the camera. Focusing manually between two fixed points is easy and still produces a more organic focus pull but I can see this being more useful to track a person moving in frame or when on a moving gimbal.

Do you have any geared manual only lenses to try this on?

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Looking good!

I know this is just a little teaser but I'd love to see how this version tracks a person moving around the frame, toward and away from the camera. Focusing manually between two fixed points is easy and still produces a more organic focus pull but I can see this being more useful to track a person moving in frame or when on a moving gimbal.

Do you have any geared manual 9only lenses to try this on?

With this module, in the wide mode example, you can see that it begins tracking the face even before she enters the frame as it has a wider field of view than the camera.

The standard mode AF-C mode only takes the focus when she is more centrally framed and the AF-S mode only activates on depression of the trigger akin to AF-On/Back Button Focus. on a DSLR.

In either AF-C mode it will track wherever the target goes while you have that engaged, which is alsi switched in and out by the trigger on the small controller.

In all these modes, the variable transition time is also active.

I do have plenty of geared compact and cine PL lenses to test with but this version is direct control of electronic lenses on the Pocket cameras, a version to control motors will follow.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:41 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I will post something on Monday probably that gives a hint of it in operation.

With regard to tracking, just to clarify that the first version does have AF-C so will keep lock as a subject approaches or moves away in the focus zone.

Obviously I think you should buy all of them 😉 

For manual focus lenses you will need a version with the motor interface module so you will have to sit tight for that one for a while longer.

There will be a motor version option of this one following not too far behind.

Will it be able to AF single focus Anamorphic lens with the motor moduel?

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Will it be able to AF single focus Anamorphic lens with the motor moduel?

It will be able to focus anything that can currently be focused with a single motor.

Each lens is calibrated individually once (it takes about 2-3 minutes) and stored in the unit for later recall.

In the case of the electronic lenses on BM cameras, the calibration is recalled automatically by lens when you power on or change lenses and for manual lenses with the motor option it will just be a case of recalling it from the list on screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Already hinted at (heavily !) in another thread but the AFX focus control functionality is now a lot more universal than just the Pocket 4K/6K cinema cameras.

AFX-SL-COMP2.thumb.jpg.eaf6506d8363c5bcebcd90814ffea30e.jpg

For Pocket 4K/6K owners who want to use manual lenses as well as electronic ones there is a Hybrid mode to control the lens with the motor whilst still being able to control ISO,WB etc over BLE as usual.

Supports both Nucleus N and M motors so you can use it with small lenses and large cinema ones.  

Pre-orders start on 26th. October.

Price €199 for existing PBC owners and €275 otherwise.

Nucleus M motor requires a separate adapter, price TBA.

25 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Already hinted at (heavily !) in another thread but the AFX focus control functionality is now a lot more universal than just the Pocket 4K/6K cinema cameras.

For Pocket 4K/6K owners who want to use manual lenses as well as electronic ones there is a Hybrid mode to control the lens with the motor whilst still being able to control ISO,WB etc over BLE as usual.

Supports both Nucleus N and M motors so you can use it with small lenses and large cinema ones.

So works on Panasonic cameras?! 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

So works on Panasonic cameras?! 

Yes, with the focus motor support it can work on any camera or lens combination.

In that respect, the camera is just acting as a mounting point for the LIDAR sensor !

Obviously you only get the focus control rather than the additional full control of ISO,WB etc that you get with the BM cameras.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, with the focus motor support it can work on any camera or lens combination.

Obviously you only get the focus control rather than the additional full control of ISO,WB etc that you get with the BM cameras.

That is good enough for most people! 

• Super Members
Just now, ntblowz said:

That is good enough for most people! 

As BLE is more widely adopted in cameras as a control interface rather than just for file transfer then they can be added as well.

It could be done over wifi now with Panasonic, Sony and Canon but there are issues to do with battery life etc that makes it a bit of a compromise.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nucleus M motor requires a separate adapter, price TBA.

Any word on that second version to also be implemented?