Development Update - AFX Focus Module For PBC

BTM_Pix

Great job on this BTM_Pix.

This time of flight sensor with distance readout could come in very handy for focus pullers . Any chance the TOF sensor could be seperate to the display? Ideally I would mount the TOF sensor above the lens and have the display on the side of the camera for the Focus Puller to see. Like a CineTape setup. Or alternatively, you could have it in an all in one box like you have done but have the display on the side?

Also eagerly awaiting the option to use it on manual cine lenses via the motor based option you previously mentioned. 

If these two features were implemented, you'd have my money.

Keep up the amazing work!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
44 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Very impressive.

I assume the ToF sensor measure the distance straight ahead? Is it feasible to adjust the focus point position? I guess turning the unit would not give accurate results with a flat focus plane. Excuse my ignorance if I don't understand how it works.

Thanks

Yes but it has a spread so it depends on distance to subject.

Again, depending on subject distance and the focal length and aperture, you can grab focus using AF-S by aiming the camera (or turning the unit if you prefer) to the subject at the edge of frame and there should be enough latitude for it to be in focus.

It is all situational though so, in general, it should be considered centre zone only with the additional option to grab and lock focus of an edge subject or use the thumbstick to manually tune focus.

Its a set of additional tools rather than the magic bullet but as I've mentioned there are actually two AF units coming and the second one is very different both in terms of functionality and certainly in price.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Great job on this BTM_Pix.

This time of flight sensor with distance readout could come in very handy for focus pullers . Any chance the TOF sensor could be seperate to the display? Ideally I would mount the TOF sensor above the lens and have the display on the side of the camera for the Focus Puller to see. Like a CineTape setup. Or alternatively, you could have it in an all in one box like you have done but have the display on the side?

Also eagerly awaiting the option to use it on manual cine lenses via the motor based option you previously mentioned. 

If these two features were implemented, you'd have my money.

Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks.

The AFX is a multi-client BLE server in its own right so it can report the distance simultaneously to other units aside from the PBC.

So there can be an option for an additional display only unit (or have the PBC in that mode if you don't want to use it to monitor camera settings) or it can be used with an app to enable you to use your own preferred display size.

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, shooter said:

Are we able to select the subject to focus and if so, will the focus follow the subject then?

If you are in AF-C mode it will follow whatever is in the central zone.

If you watch the first video, the clip with the SpiderCal focus chart is maintaining focus on it as it approaches the camera.

49 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you are in AF-C mode it will follow whatever is in the central zone.

If you watch the first video, the clip with the SpiderCal focus chart is maintaining focus on it as it approaches the camera.

And if the shooter wants to follow a subject not in the central zone? Not possible to select and follow a subject wherever is?

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, shooter said:

And if the shooter wants to follow a subject not in the central zone? Not possible to select and follow a subject wherever is?

Unless the shooter follows the subject then, no, only in the central zone. 

As I've mentioned further up, this is one of two AF units we will be releasing and the other one will be more suited to what you need, albeit at a much higher price point.

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Unless the shooter follows the subject then, no, only in the central zone. 

As I've mentioned further up, this is one of two AF units we will be releasing and the other one will be more suited to what you need, albeit at a much higher price point.

When do you plan to release this second AF unit?

Is there any benefit to buy this first AF unit and upgrade to the second AF unit later? Is this offer available? Or are they independent of each other?

• Super Members
1 minute ago, shooter said:

When do you plan to release this second AF unit? Is there any benefit to buy this first AF unit and upgrade to the second AF unit later? Is this offer available? Or are they independent of each other?

There will be a development announcement of it before the pre-order begins for the AFX so people can see which one of them - if any - will be more suitable for their use.

Price and lead time is the benefit of the AFX as for some people the combination of additional focus tools it brings to the Pocket cameras might actually be all that they need and the second unit will be a couple of months behind.

It is very, very different and whilst it is initially for the Pocket cameras it is a more universal product.

As I say, both will be known before any pre-orders happen for the AFX so it will be easier to evaluate for individuals then before any commitments are made.

• Super Members

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

AFX has five user selectable focus transition modes. When the transition mode is set to Off, no transition is applied and the AFX snaps immediately to the new focus point.

When the mode is set to 1,2 or 3 then an increasing preset length of transition is applied from the current focus point to the new focus point.

The final mode is called Natural and applies a transition that is based upon the distance between the current and new focus points meaning that the greater the distance the longer the transition.

Focus transition mode is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

More Bluetooth issues with BMD updates. I imagine this will also impact the AFX Focus Module?

949475027_Screenshot2020-09-01at07_19_49.thumb.png.4b5e20e3ad9e8f9d7732bb8360870b6f.png

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm guessing it must something specific to Portkeys because I've just tested that lens (presuming it's the Panaleica one) with the PBC in combination with both the Nucleus Nano and the AFX and focus control is fine with v6.9.6

It wasn't working when I first put the lens on to test it but in my defence have you seen how small the AF/MF switch is on that lens and how difficult it is to see its in the MF position when you haven't had a coffee 🙂 

On 8/20/2020 at 7:23 PM, BTM_Pix said:

There will be a development announcement of it before the pre-order begins for the AFX so people can see which one of them - if any - will be more suitable for their use.

Price and lead time is the benefit of the AFX as for some people the combination of additional focus tools it brings to the Pocket cameras might actually be all that they need and the second unit will be a couple of months behind.

It is very, very different and whilst it is initially for the Pocket cameras it is a more universal product.

As I say, both will be known before any pre-orders happen for the AFX so it will be easier to evaluate for individuals then before any commitments are made.

September 1. We ain't so far from there then, correct? Any date to put on our calendar now?

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

September 1. We ain't so far from there then, correct? Any date to put on our calendar now?

I'm just on the phone with Shill-U-Like arranging the flights and accommodation for Hawaii for their top 20 influencers so I'll let you know as soon as the date is fixed.

• Super Members

Unlike contrast based AF systems, the lock speed of the AFX system remains consistent across different lighting conditions.

The benefits of this are particularly apparent in low light or low contrast situations where contrast based systems will have to hunt to achieve lock.

These examples compare the performance of the internal BMPCC contrast based AF with the AFX to illustrate how each system deals with different challenging (too challenging for YouTube's shitty compression by the looks of it) low light and mixed contrast scenes.