Camera or Lens... Which one is the Best Upgrade today?

sev7en

Camera or Lens... which one is for you the way?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Looking for upgrades, does it is better to purchase a new Camera Body or... New Lens?

• New Camera Body
    • New Lens
    • No ones of the above as I'd like... (comment!)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I went for none but that is because my actual answer is "it depends".

If you already have the lenses you want and anything news is just incremental, i think you could benefit from a camera upgrade but otherwise it would be lens for me almost all the time.

I only want one more lens really (a longer AF portrait lens for FF Sony E but for photos more than anything).

Otherwise I have everything I need from a wide angle tilt shift to a 300 2.8 (if I need longer I would use my superzoom).

Camera can also make a difference if you do something that has suddenly had a decent advance (EG A7s and low light).

Voted none because it depends on what you're doing.

Buying new equipment should be a last resort....

and if you're asking the question which is going to be a better upgrade for you then you don't know enough about what you're doing to get much value for money on whatever you buy anyway.

So, my advice is to spend that money on the people closest to you in your life and spend a year shooting real projects without buying anything new, making a list of all the issues, challenges, and compromises you made in shooting real projects.  Then in a years time you can go spend money to solve whatever problems you have that weren't solved in that year by learning stuff for free and practicing with your equipment.

If you are asking which one to upgrade, camera or lens, I will go for lens. 

Sometimes, even cameras from years ago are more than capable unless you're looking for some specific functions. The NX1 you own is very capable. And because camera bodies are updated constantly, their value drop very quickly. Find one camera that you like and suits your needs, it can work for you for years. 

Lenses, on the other hand, keep their value. Financially speaking, they are not that bad for investments. I bought a few EF lenses back in 2017 and they are still being used. Even vintage ones, which I own quite a few, are great tools to have. It is important to stick to one or two mounts though. 

However, if you are just looking for upgrade, I have to go for lighting system (and griping equipment). 

With a good lighting setup, you can use very cheap lens and camera and still get very good result. In contrast, a good camera is not going to deliver excellent result with bad lighting. A lot of cinematic magic is created with lighting. A high quality light is another tool that you will not regret buying, only not buying more. 

And buy good griping equipment as well. They are not cheap though, but totally worth the investment. A good C-stand and a few nice clamps and clips are essential, especially if you do narrative work. 

Will not do any upgrades at the moment, only downgrades 😁

Since all weddings and events are cancelled anyway, those new investments are laying gathering dust at least another year.

Sold already a lot of gear, only keeping what I really need.

But got myself a GH2 dirt cheap, just to experiment a bit with this old beast.

First of all thanks to be here 🙂

A first curiosity... I did a similar poll to an Italian community where I am and the result is totally different! All the italian photographers (pro and amateur) voted for LENS!

Reading you comment I can only say... YES it is.

I always shooted with my mobile... I always purchased (ehm... I continue to lol) latest camera phones but really, to shoot with a camera is really another planet!

2 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

As other's have said, unless you HAVE to upgrade your camera or you need a lens to cover a range your missing concentrate on grip gear. Tripod, lighting, audio.  

Ciao Geoff, I guess I need a tripod because shooting with the Rokinon without autofocus it is not easy to keep it steady. Maybe a gimbal could be useful to add some stop to the NX1's IBIS?

37 minutes ago, sev7en said:

Ciao Geoff, I guess I need a tripod because shooting with the Rokinon without autofocus it is not easy to keep it steady. Maybe a gimbal could be useful to add some stop to the NX1's IBIS?

Only you can know that, which one you would prefer. Having a great tripod is very important with the NX1 if shooting 4K.

I will say if you don't own the 16-50 f2-2.8, GET IT, that lens is magic on the NX1. Very well stabilized, sharp, and excellent AF. Still miss using that lens to this day. I would recommend that over buying a gimbal for handheld work. 

Another ‘it depends’ as there is no definitive answer to this question.

I am also in the boat of only 1 paying job this year out of what should have been 25.

The consequence of that is from Oct ‘19 until July ‘20, I had no need for any kit at all.

From Aug ‘20 now until April ‘21, I have no need again.

I would have been better off renting this year for 1 single day’s shooting but of course I had no idea of that at the time.

Right now and until next Spring, no priority other than surviving.

Ideally, I’d like to trade up my XT3’s to something like the Sony A73s plus lenses, but even in ‘21 don’t need to and will probably just sit tight for and during next year just in case...

But otherwise it’s just a total package isn’t it? Crap glass on a great body is still crap glass and great glass on a crap spec body is no better.

My answer therefore is the best of everything that you can afford and justify based on your needs and the time.

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Only you can know that, which one you would prefer. Having a great tripod is very important with the NX1 if shooting 4K.

I will say if you don't own the 16-50 f2-2.8, GET IT, that lens is magic on the NX1. Very well stabilized, sharp, and excellent AF. Still miss using that lens to this day. I would recommend that over buying a gimbal for handheld work. 

I have it! I purchased that glass with the camera but... The sharpness of the Rokinon is stellar.

I really love the Bokeh effect of that lens, it is mind blowing.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Another ‘it depends’ as there is no definitive answer to this question.

I am also in the boat of only 1 paying job this year out of what should have been 25.

The consequence of that is from Oct ‘19 until July ‘20, I had no need for any kit at all.

From Aug ‘20 now until April ‘21, I have no need again.

I would have been better off renting this year for 1 single day’s shooting but of course I had no idea of that at the time.

Right now and until next Spring, no priority other than surviving.

Ideally, I’d like to trade up my XT3’s to something like the Sony A73s plus lenses, but even in ‘21 don’t need to and will probably just sit tight for and during next year just in case...

But otherwise it’s just a total package isn’t it? Crap glass on a great body is still crap glass and great glass on a crap spec body is no better.

My answer therefore is the best of everything that you can afford and justify based on your needs and the time.

Thanks, maybe the right answer is: average of both. Good and affordable lens with a good and affordable body maybe for that one with the clear ideas about what you are shooting to: video or photo, portrait or landscape.

Right now, IF investing in lenses for most systems, I would make it Canon EF mount because they are so adaptable and usable on so many cameras and lets face it, with a good set of lenses that can be used across systems it hardly matters if you do change or add cameras so much now (unlike the old days when if you changed system you pretty much had to change everything).

"invest" also has many meanings but very few are going to appreciate in value but if they make you money or you get enjoyment out of them, then that makes them a worthwhile investment in my book.

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Neither! Get yourself better audio/lighting/grip/support gear instead. 

Especially as you've got a Samsung NX1, which even in 2020 is still a very solidly good hybrid camera. 

You beat me to it. I am far more interested in gimbals, lighting, audio, tripods, learning how to better color grade, learning how to edit faster, etc, etc. than I am in the camera bodies or lenses. I have only bought one camera body in the last 4yrs but I am always adding to my collection of lav mics, video lighting, light stands, wireless gear etc. All of that equipment will outlive any camera or lens.

I take that back, I have bought two camera bodies in the last 4yrs but for very specific purposes and only once I felt like my existing equipment had reached its useful limits. I bought a C200 for long form and commercial work and I bought a GoPro 8 for underwater and FPV work.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

You beat me to it. I am far more interested in gimbals, lighting, audio, tripods, learning how to better color grade, learning how to edit faster, etc, etc. than I am in the camera bodies or lenses. I have only bought one camera body in the last 4yrs but I am always adding to my collection of lav mics, video lighting, light stands, wireless gear etc. All of that equipment will outlive any camera or lens.

I take that back, I have bought two camera bodies in the last 4yrs but for very specific purposes and only once I felt like my existing equipment had reached its useful limits. I bought a C200 for long form and commercial work and I bought a GoPro 8 for underwater and FPV work.

Ciao herein2020,

I am curious... what's on out "bag" 😛 for that gears? Do you make also still shoots?