Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

5 hours ago, Jermaine said:

I think I’ll get the g7 as a second angle for interviews during covid but once things go back to normal I’ll happy pick up another s5 as I’ve got a few more pressing issues. Thanks for the advice, second S5 in spring when most of the events I do are back hopefully 

Yeah if this is just a temporary stop gap measure until you get a second S5, then a cheapie G7 is a smart idea until work picks up. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, herein2020 said:

What was annoying was that on the registration page they made it clear that supplies were limited, first come first served and that there was no guarantee that you would ever actually get the lens. They also said on the page that even if they did ship the lens to you it would not be until Nov at the earliest.

This is the kind of thing that backfires against companies. If the worst case scenario happens...

I was probably somewhat nieve by not actively seeking out the small print...which was not obvious and preordered on the headline offer.

There is always small print however, but sometimes maybe it just needs to be more obvious.

4 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Are you in the US? My S5 is on order and I had to do the same thing. What was annoying was that on the registration page they made it clear that supplies were limited, first come first served and that there was no guarantee that you would ever actually get the lens. They also said on the page that even if they did ship the lens to you it would not be until Nov at the earliest.

Has anyone tried the Sigma L mount to EF mount adapter yet? I've been reading that the AF gets even worse with the adapter. I don't care about AF for video but planned on using it for images.

No Belgium. Yeah thats my fear, that they only have 100 lenses, and then stock is depleted. In that case I am done with panasonic.

5 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Are you in the US? My S5 is on order and I had to do the same thing. What was annoying was that on the registration page they made it clear that supplies were limited, first come first served and that there was no guarantee that you would ever actually get the lens. They also said on the page that even if they did ship the lens to you it would not be until Nov at the earliest.

Has anyone tried the Sigma L mount to EF mount adapter yet? I've been reading that the AF gets even worse with the adapter. I don't care about AF for video but planned on using it for images.

Sigma MC-21 works good with newer Canon USM lenses for stills(35 1.4, 16-35 III 85 1.2- slow). Not the fastest and no AFC. I have also a Tamron 24-70 G2 that is slower in focus, but the stabilization with S1 is gorgeus..

10 hours ago, ntblowz said:

This video kinda confirms what I see.. Panasonic Vlog is the most robust codec so far, can be over and under exposure and still can get away, Sony you will have to use non log profile to have "clean" lowlight, underexposed slog is so ugly.

Wait...did I read their spec sheet right? Even the S1H does not do 4K60FPS internal yet the S5 does?

5 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

I own them both and they both do 4K 60p 4:2:0 H.265 internal.

15 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

The S1H does 4k 60p internal like the S5. Both H265 10BIT 420 I believe. 

I figured out what happened, the last line in their specs on screen was the 60FPS options and the video went behind my taskbar on my desktop so it was covering up that last line.

My S5 gets here today, and the EF adapter should be here Friday. I do wish the GH5 batteries worked with it since I was not able to order any additional batteries.

Have anybody used the tokina 24-70 f2.8 with the mc 21? I would like to pair them up since that's one of the cheapest brandnew 24-70 in my country, and we don't have access to the fotodiox adapters, so if anybody have any experience with them it would be great if you can share about it. Thank you.

Well I just took my S5 out on a proper full day's video job!

I think it went quite well and will post up the result once I've edited the job.

Takes a bit of used to with the familiarity of the controls etc and just the ergonomics/muscle memory coming from Fuji XT3 but looked good on the back of the camera.

So far, so good...

How do you guys find the LCD screen? Is it good for manual focusing? 

And what about the battery life? And the micro HDMI port?

I've been very interested in this camera for a while, but not sure should I buy it. It's still a little bit pricey for me (about $2200 for body only). And my income is not secured until next year. 

17 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Do any current S5 owners know how the USB-C port works for data? Multiple reviews have stated it can be used for power or data but I can't tell if you can record images and video straight to a USB-C storage device.

You cannot record straight to USB drive. The data is so you can use the camera as a USB card reader with your computer to upload footage from the SD-Cards to your PC.

2 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

How do you guys find the LCD screen? Is it good for manual focusing? 

And what about the battery life? And the micro HDMI port?

I've been very interested in this camera for a while, but not sure should I buy it. It's still a little bit pricey for me (about $2200 for body only). And my income is not secured until next year. 

Battery life is insane crazy!
As a test, I put two 128GB SD cards in the camera and I hooked it up to a cheap USB 10,000 (one that isn't PD rated) and I started recording in 8-bit 4K and went to bed. When I woke up, both SD cards were full and the camera recorded for over 4 hours!

On 10/1/2020 at 6:55 AM, MrSMW said:

There's only one thing bothering me right now (apart from the weather that is preventing me from getting out and shooting) and that is the raw files not opening in LR.

I've tried a Windows 10 compatible exif data changer but my test file is still reading DC-S5 even though I keep changing it to DC-S1 or DC-S1H.

I have never tried changing Exif data before so don't really know what I'm doing but if anyone knows, until Adobe get on it, should I be trying to change the Exif data or trying to convert it to a .DNG file?

Hey @ntblowz your S5 looks just like my S5!

Luminar works with the S5 RAW files. I grabbedmy copy last year for around $40. It has some great editing tools too.

Thanks @Lux Shots but I suspect Adobe will be there within the next couple of weeks.

I’m no fan of Adobe or their subscriptions but I’m not a fan of change either and so Lightroom Classic for pics and Premiere for video suit my needs right now.

Though Premiere has this annoying habit of unlinking video and audio when I drag clips over to the timeline of leaving the audio behind...

I’m not very techy but need to find an answer to that one...

20 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Thanks @Lux Shots but I suspect Adobe will be there within the next couple of weeks.

I’m no fan of Adobe or their subscriptions but I’m not a fan of change either and so Lightroom Classic for pics and Premiere for video suit my needs right now.

Though Premiere has this annoying habit of unlinking video and audio when I drag clips over to the timeline of leaving the audio behind...

I almost alway invoke Luminar from Lightroom most of the time, but I've been using it directly for the S5 until Adobe catches up.

21 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It has to do with the way you are dragging it. I made the jump to Davinci Resolve (best thing I've done in a long time) but I used to use Premier.  When you double click a clip in the media pool it will show in the preview window. If I recall correctly somewhere below that window there is an icon to ensure the audio stays linked when dragging the clip to the timeline.  Premier does not show all of the possible icons by default so you may need to add back the linking icon.

If you do make the switch to Davinci Resolve its even easier, you just hover over the preview window and if you drag the whole window you get audio and video, as you hover over the window two semi transparent icons will show up and if you drag the first one it is just the video, the second one is just the audio.

I dislike change as well, but Premier Pro was like death by a thousand cuts...that subscription was eating into my revenues whether I had a project that month or not, and Premier was so unstable it was practically unusable. DR is rock solid, a little harder to learn but actually way easier after you get used to it, and you get more features. DR's biggest weakness is the integrated version of Fusion; if you do any special effects work you will come to hate Fusion.