Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That's awesome! Been pretty busy myself in recent weeks with sound work (did a shoot for Saatchi & Saatchi yesterday, went out onto the water with Team NZ!), and a bit of LX Assist work too on Music Videos / TVCs. Glad I've got today empty! I needed the break. 

Very nice! So lucky u get on the Team NZ boat!

I guess I m pretty grateful we are in NZ in this age..

There's only one thing bothering me right now (apart from the weather that is preventing me from getting out and shooting) and that is the raw files not opening in LR.

I've tried a Windows 10 compatible exif data changer but my test file is still reading DC-S5 even though I keep changing it to DC-S1 or DC-S1H.

I have never tried changing Exif data before so don't really know what I'm doing but if anyone knows, until Adobe get on it, should I be trying to change the Exif data or trying to convert it to a .DNG file?

Hey @ntblowz your S5 looks just like my S5!

Pretty looking camera! If it only had full HDMI for the lowest budget shooter I am who can only afford his SDI connection on a second market Sony F3 and FS700. I am still hesitating with spending 200 EU for the VLOG / 10bit update for my S1, because I would feel dumb if Panasonic is give it to us for free eventually. And still not 10bit for 4K60p in the S1. S5 with full HDMI, I would indeed have bought after selling the S1.

10 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

There's only one thing bothering me right now (apart from the weather that is preventing me from getting out and shooting) and that is the raw files not opening in LR.

I've tried a Windows 10 compatible exif data changer but my test file is still reading DC-S5 even though I keep changing it to DC-S1 or DC-S1H.

I have never tried changing Exif data before so don't really know what I'm doing but if anyone knows, until Adobe get on it, should I be trying to change the Exif data or trying to convert it to a .DNG file?

Hey @ntblowz your S5 looks just like my S5!

Maybe give RawTherapee a go?

I can finally set FF/S35/PP into hotkey! That was missing on S1, it is something you still can't set on Canon, but Sony and Panasonic allows you to.

I use this function quite a lot especially on event if I need zooming quickly.

Also like the more IS setting for Anamorphic, on gh5 it is just 1.33x and 2x, now I have 1.3, 1.33, 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0. Though missing the 6k mode that gh5 have.

And slowmo is stuck with low bitrate (20/28mbit for FHD slowmo, 4k still 100mbit), while on R5 it's stupidly huge on the other extreme end of spectrum 

Having AF for slowmo can be handy, though only upto 120fps, 150 and 180fps is still manual only.

3 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Pretty looking camera! If it only had full HDMI for the lowest budget shooter I am who can only afford his SDI connection on a second market Sony F3 and FS700. I am still hesitating with spending 200 EU for the VLOG / 10bit update for my S1, because I would feel dumb if Panasonic is give it to us for free eventually. And still not 10bit for 4K60p in the S1. S5 with full HDMI, I would indeed have bought after selling the S1.

Well don't they give s1 free vlog when it was first released? That how i got it on my S1.

4 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Maybe give RawTherapee a go?

Right, tried it and like it. Fine detail is another league to Lightroom. Another league.

In order to get the most out of Fuji X files, I have been batch editing the raws through Iridient X Transformer which then demosaics them in some 'special' way and then spits out a set of DNG's.

It's slightly laborious as it takes around 2 hours for say a 500 image wedding.

I then work these in LR which then chucks them out as finished Jpegs.

Well I just tried a few images in Rawtherapee and did nothing but import the raw files and told it to export them as large Jpegs at the default settings.

I then imported this Jpeg alongside the original large Panny Jpeg and holy moly, night and day.

I thought LR was allegedly not doing so well with the fine detail with Fuji, but it looks like with at least Panny as well.

The only downside to this is I'd need to batch approx 500 raws through Rawtherapee and then into LR as I have a special sauce preset for my 'look'.

Lot's of playing to do over the Winter and I'm not going to jump wholesale into anything else right now, partly because I don't have another wedding until April '21 soonest and partly because it will be interesting to see how Panny raw files do in LR directly when Adobe gets it's finger out.

But thanks indeed for the heads up on Rawtherapee!

Apologies for the non-video (but S5) talk folks!

56 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I guess it means you can assign the video sensor crop ('Image Area of Video' in user guide speak) setting to a function button.

Ah OK. That’s alright, I shoot 4k 50p so it’s already cropped 🤪

14 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Ok first impression, the body feels like you can actually kill a person with it, the amount of metal feel is quite surprising, my R5 feels quite plasticky in comparison.

20201001_231949.jpg

20201001_231932.jpg

20201001_232015.jpg

I thought the same thing about the EOS R. Why do Canon's expensive mirrorless cameras feel like toys? Sony's A7 series does too, as well. But man, the Panasonic cameras are built SO NICE. Love their design, the way they look, feel, operate, and how they feel like professional tools. 

19 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Ok first impression, the body feels like you can actually kill a person with it, the amount of metal feel is quite surprising, my R5 feels quite plasticky in comparison.

That's what you want to feel in your camera!

Did you hear about the Komodo which got stolen at gunpoint? 

If he'd had an S5 instead, then he could have fought back!