Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

5 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

I'd suggest picking up a used GH5S as a B-cam. It will have similar colours, does well in low light, can record non-stop as long as you have cards and batteries (same batteries can be used in both cams). AF-C is shite but I have back button focus for a one touch focus and it works fine. I set focus and leave it. Plenty of cheap second hand lenses to choose from as well.

I might if I did not have an XT3, constant f2.8 zoom, 30 mins recording and an Anker power bank.

95% of my ceremonies are under 30 minutes and it’s very rare for anyone to speak for more than 30 mins speeches and if it’s getting close, I hover, wait for some laughter, hit stop, hit record and we’re good for another 30 mins.

Mostly I used the camcorder last year but some super low light stuff, I just dedicated an XT3 and it was faultless.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

MrSMW, what lenses are you using with the S5?

At present I only have the 20-60mm kit lens.

It’s quite impressive actually and will principally be my wide angle for stills. Pretty dreadful in low light at the long end being just f5.6 however! Not that I will ever use it like that...

I should have the Sigma 45mm f2.8 but Panasonic are so far refusing to honor the preorder offer. Also refusing to even correspond in regard to it which is totally bizarre as all my communications have been extremely polite...

But that aside, my plan is the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 next Spring. Pretty sure that for my needs they will be the sweet spot for size, weight, shallow enough DOF and price, plus being native, play the nicest with the AF!

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

No, not tried it myself but I do have the Sony AX100 with an equivalent 1" sensor and maybe even a faster aperture (not sure without checking) and in low light...which is around 50% of it's use for my work, it's horrendous quality.

Most of my weddings are outdoors and couples think that tealights on tables and a few fairy lights is 'lighting'.

Well there's only so much lighting I can bring to a job and set up and they ARE advised (strongly) in regard to lighting, but otherwise we're often talking 12800 ISO territory with a fast full-frame prime. So the camcorder looks like mush, but XT3 @ f2.8 is just about OK still, especially with a bit of spot LED assistance.

In good light though, fine. It looks very digital of course as most camcorders do and doesn't match with any 'serious' footage and so I know it has no chance of being mixed in with APSC Fuji or cropped Panny footage. None!

Oh and one thing to consider is that with these 'large' sensor camcorders, from bitter experience, I can assure you that you CANNOT rely on the AF because if it wanders off, it WILL lose focus. I had a guest get up in church a few years back on one of my first jobs with it and it locked on to them walking towards the camera and then locked onto the back of the head of a guest for the next 20 minutes with the B&G completely OOF. Oops. Backup camera at a different angle rescued that one...

You mention some good points, I want something to compliment my S5 but maybe a G9 with the 50-200mm lens on it can be my B cam that I pull out for those telephoto shots in sports and docs doesn't hurt that you can do ex tele conv as well and get some extra range and use IS lock

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I might if I did not have an XT3, constant f2.8 zoom, 30 mins recording and an Anker power bank.

95% of my ceremonies are under 30 minutes and it’s very rare for anyone to speak for more than 30 mins speeches and if it’s getting close, I hover, wait for some laughter, hit stop, hit record and we’re good for another 30 mins.

Mostly I used the camcorder last year but some super low light stuff, I just dedicated an XT3 and it was faultless.

Oh how lucky you are.  Even my civil Ceremonies are cutting it close for some in regards 30 mins.  Church Weddings, minimum 40 mins and if you record a few mins before as well.  Speeches are also on average 45 mins for them all.  Occasionally I get a 15 min or 20 min for all my speeches.  

I'd never use a camera with a clip limit again for unmanned cameras.  And I try to avoid them even my manned camera.  

44 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Oh how lucky you are

Less than 5% of my weddings in France are legal Steve as in they are ‘destination weddings’ so all bar a few locals, already done the legal bit in their home country.

The result of this is instead of the typical 1/2 to full day wedding (500+ of which I did previously in the UK over 16 years so know exactly what you are talking about!) here tend to be more relaxed 2-3 day affairs.

They all still go through some form of ceremony, either with an official celebrant, or a priest or a friend more often than not, but these things tend to be more like 15-20 mins.

Unless it’s a local and then it’s 60+ mins of Catholic mass, but that’s a rarity.

Speeches same as everywhere though so principally 3. Unless they are Canadian and it’s more like 13. Or Scandi and it’s open mic time, singing and taking another shot.

None of which I know has anything to do with the S5!

40 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I ordered the S5, but looks like I will not be getting it in september. But this prolly means I will not be getting a free lens then or am I still entitled. 

Check but you should be as long as preordered and paid for a unit from your country of residence.

Because I am a Brit living in France but purchased from the UK, they have stated, “ha we have you on a technicality there according to the small print so get lost”.

It’s a really shitty thing for a large corporation to be doing to an individual but in this case it’s Panasonic UK or some grumpy-arsed individual working for them who probably takes delight in being petty.

Anyway, it’s also another topic so I’ll shut up about it. Doesn’t endear need to Panasonic as a company or brand though...

45 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I ordered the S5, but looks like I will not be getting it in september. But this prolly means I will not be getting a free lens then or am I still entitled. 

You can still register for it and then you enter more info when you receive the camera but they won't be shipping the lens until mid-November.

Screenshot_20200929-125236.png

1 hour ago, Thomas Hill said:

You can still register for it and then you enter more info when you receive the camera but they won't be shipping the lens until mid-November.

Screenshot_20200929-125236.png

Mid november, djeez thats a long time. When do you know they approved the lens giveaway? Cause if im not getting the lens, im gonna cancel my order and wait some more time. Maybe till a a74 is due.

17 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Mid november, djeez thats a long time. When do you know they approved the lens giveaway? Cause if im not getting the lens, im gonna cancel my order and wait some more time. Maybe till a a74 is due.

I'm just guessing but the length of time between the pre-orders and receiving the free lens is probably to make sure that people don't get the lens and return the camera.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Its great hearing from actual working professionals with this camera and not just another YouTube shil. I have the C70 on pre-order but I also already have buyers remorse so I will probably cancel. The S5 keeps coming back to my attention but your problems with AF remind me that using this camera on a gimbal would be no better than the GH5 that I already own....with the added problem of not being able to use any of my MFT lenses on it.

I really think I just need to stick to my original plan which was to give up on replacing the GH5 for another year.

9 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I really think I just need to stick to my original plan which was to give up on replacing the GH5 for another year.

Me too.  I was looking at a great hybrid like the R6 or R5 as a replacement, then saw the issues it had.  A7SIII is only 12mp (too low for photo) and I've never warmed to Sony  anyway.  Panasonic still feels it needs an update to bring it fullframe 60p rather than crop and add great AF to an S1H successor.  The C70 as  a pure cinema camera feels like the right direction for me, but is also hampered by Canons cripple hammer regarding features their hybrids have and the competition gives at a much cheaper price.  

I feel I am still waiting for that perfect camera for me.  And a worthy replacement to the GH5. 

9 hours ago, herein2020 said:

ts great hearing from actual working professionals

‘Working’ is a very loose term in 2020 as most of us are on a gap year.

For me, as things stand, it will be a staggering 1 single days paid shoot in 18 months from the end of last season to the start of next.

I think when it comes to spending money on anything you have to do the best research you can, consider YOUR needs and not others and at some point, take a punt.

I don’t use a gimbal myself and can’t see a scenario where I would but if I did, I probably wouldn’t choose the S5 but something Canon or Sony flavoured for more reliable AF.

My needs are much more static and to that end, unless I uncover another fundamental flaw, the S5 will suit me very well.

I wonder if they will come out with R and H versions like the S1 model...?

Oh and in regard to that weird background pulsing, I still have some more testing to do but it seems like turning down tracking speed and sensitivity to minus values resolves it...

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

‘Working’ is a very loose term in 2020 as most of us are on a gap year.

For me, as things stand, it will be a staggering 1 single days paid shoot in 18 months from the end of last season to the start of next.

I think when it comes to spending money on anything you have to do the best research you can, consider YOUR needs and not others and at some point, take a punt.

I don’t use a gimbal myself and can’t see a scenario where I would but if I did, I probably wouldn’t choose the S5 but something Canon or Sony flavoured for more reliable AF.

My needs are much more static and to that end, unless I uncover another fundamental flaw, the S5 will suit me very well.

I wonder if they will come out with R and H versions like the S1 model...?

Oh and in regard to that weird background pulsing, I still have some more testing to do but it seems like turning down tracking speed and sensitivity to minus values resolves it...

Wow, that's terrible to hear, I do hope things pick up for you and everyone else. I am fortunate to still have a full time regular job and I offer such a wide variety of photography and video services that weird quirky jobs keep showing up; everything from shooting a documentary on men's health to creating architectural images for a new airplane hangar.

I use my Ronin S nearly daily and honestly AF isn't as important on a gimbal as most people think. First off I know I'm not shooting a Hollywood blockbuster so I'm rarely shooting wide open, I try to stay around F4 or higher on the gimbal and I keep a certain distance between myself and the subject; in post I use a 1080P timeline after shooting 4K which lets me simulate changing distance between the camera and the subject without actually doing so.  I've been shooting with the GH5 for years and have never used the AF. I use all manual Voigtlander lenses. 

So yea, for me AF isn't that big of a deal even on a gimbal because I've never had it, but as you stated, everyone's needs are different.  Even when the GH5 is on a static tripod I just shot as stopped down as possible, focus it where I think the action will take place, and hope for the best. It's been my experience shooting events that as long as the audio is good, people can see themselves in the footage, and it looks more cinematic than a cell phone the customer is still happy.  For corporate commercial work of course its a whole different story.

So here’s a quick iPhone snap of my new stills  and manual focus video unit (the S5) and my old but repurposed XT3 with battery grip plus Fringer plus Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 which is my ‘new’ static manual focus video camera and occasional autofocus (because I do not yet trust the S5 and may never do so).

Battery grip with the XT3 because it needs so it has some power and can record for more than 20 mins (albeit 30 max) and for the ergos those very rare times it will be handheld.

500g which is nearly a lb in old money difference in weight and obviously the XT3 combo is a lot bigger in the hand.0E39CEF6-4D6D-49CE-BE10-F65E79EC4E23.jpeg.775cea55c23207907abc5e239907433d.jpeg507BB4A6-8CF0-412C-B578-B376A436F10C.jpeg.a597b01034d5d7f9d8a2e2e7155c0374.jpeg

On 8/31/2020 at 7:37 AM, SteveV4D said:

Its so subtle, I find myself reminded of the Emporers New Clothes story.  Art is full of this sort of stuff.  Vast majority who talk about the fullframe look are simply referring to their fullframe camera resolving the full range of their fullframe lenses vs using those same lenses on a cropped sensor.  You can get a similar look using dedicated MFT and S35 lenses for these sensors.   A fullframe look isn't the same as a cinematic look and shouldn't be confused with it.

"Emperor's New Clothes" is a good analogy! I'll be always thinking of this in the future next time someone is making claims about so called "Full Frame" and is unable to back up those claims. 

On 9/1/2020 at 1:49 AM, MrSMW said:

No offense, but I never understand these ‘feel a bit cheated’ comments every time a new camera comes out.

New camera should = new & improved spec even with ‘cheaper’ models as tech is both passed down and improved upon.

The S1 has been out over a year I think which though is not that long, you can’t really be peeved at Panasonic for bringing out a new camera for the end of 2020?

We get the same with audio recorders too! haha
Even though the Sound Devices 6 Series is really old, if measured in "camera years" that is. 
(although people kinda have point about how quickly the MixPre Gen2 came out after the OG MixPre recorders)