Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@MrSMW Yes, for me it would have been perfect with full HDMI, which the S1 has. S1 on the other hand needs a paid Upgrade for 10 bit and Vlog and still does not have 10bit for 4K60, which the S5 has.

Indeed, so close. I guess i will have to pay the 200 EUR for the update and still be without 10bit for the 4K60 as of now. S1H has both but is too expensive for me.

10 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

Adorama is supposed to start shipping on

the 30th but I'm ready for the AF issues 🙃

This brings up my question: I only use manual adapted lenses, so AF performance is not a concern for me. But I've got my Sony A7iii (which I only use for stills) set up for manual shooting with the custom buttons mapped to the tools I need at hand for shooting with these lenses: one button brings up the focal length menu, another brings up focus magnification, another toggles focus peaking on and off. Would it be possible to set up the S5 with dedicated buttons like this? I don't have time to go menu-diving when I'm shooting photos. The A7iii is great for stills but its video quality is so compromised compared with what I'm used to working with that it's effectively not a hybrid camera for me. I'm considering the S5 as a hybrid camera for travel when I don't have room to bring more than one camera.

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@bjohn My Lumix S1 and also my small GX85 allow customization of buttons masterfully. So should the S5 do that perfectly.

Cool! And I'm assuming Panasonic cameras have a focal-length selection menu somewhere that I can assign to a button? For IBIS to work properly it needs to know the focal length of the lens you're using (at least this is true with Sony), and since I'm using old adapted lenses I have to tell the camera myself by selecting the focal length from the menu. Having that assigned to a button makes this potentially tedious task take a few seconds.

12 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@MrSMW Yes, for me it would have been perfect with full HDMI, which the S1 has. S1 on the other hand needs a paid Upgrade for 10 bit and Vlog and still does not have 10bit for 4K60, which the S5 has.

Indeed, so close. I guess i will have to pay the 200 EUR for the update and still be without 10bit for the 4K60 as of now. S1H has both but is too expensive for me.

Just a hunch but I think there's a decent chance that they'll include 10-bit 4k/60 in the next firmware. Remember you'll get 10-bit via HDMI too.

8 hours ago, bjohn said:

Cool! And I'm assuming Panasonic cameras have a focal-length selection menu somewhere that I can assign to a button? For IBIS to work properly it needs to know the focal length of the lens you're using (at least this is true with Sony), and since I'm using old adapted lenses I have to tell the camera myself by selecting the focal length from the menu. Having that assigned to a button makes this potentially tedious task take a few seconds.

Exactely, you can assing any function to a button, stabilizer and focal length option as well. It is a two-push-setup. Push once for stabilizer menu and push another button to choose focal length. Very easy, intuitive and comortable.

So, anyone with the S5, framerates above HD 60p are all 8bit right? That 120p HD 10bit is still a benefit to the S1H only I think.

@TheBoogieKnight No exernal 10bit without the update afaik plus only with Ninja or Shogun Inferno. I have a Shogun Flame and didnt record it. It´s only working as a display with my S1.

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Exactely, you can assing any function to a button, stabilizer and focal length option as well. It is a two-push-setup. Push once for stabilizer menu and push another button to choose focal length. Very easy, intuitive and comortable.

So, anyone with the S5, framerates above HD 60p are all 8bit right? That 120p HD 10bit is still a benefit to the S1H only I think.

@TheBoogieKnight No exernal 10bit without the update afaik plus only with Ninja or Shogun Inferno. I have a Shogun Flame and didnt record it. It´s only working as a display with my S1.

The manual says the 120fps is only MP4, not MOV, so it's only 8- bit unfortunately. 😬 I really enjoy my 10-bit 1080p 120fps on the S1H (I wonder if I made a mistake ordering the S5), and it's a shame that it isn't on the S5 on the release date. I don't know if this will be enabled come the end-of-the-year firmware update for 5.9K ProRes RAW...

Does anyone know if 1080 on the S5 (or S1) is downsampled? The 1080 clips that I've seen look way softer than the 4k when viewing at 1080 on Youtube. On the other hand, the GH5's 1080 looks pretty much identical to the 4k when viewing at 1080 on Youtube.

I don't own any 'S' series cameras, but If you use dpeview's 'video stills comparison' tool, you can clearly see the 1080p from the S1 and S1H is softer and has more aliasing & moire than the GH5. They haven't added the S5 to the list yet.

To me, the 'S' series 1080p looks like it's using at least some pixel-binning and/or line skipping, versus the GH5 using proper down-sampling from the full sensor output.

32 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I don't own any 'S' series cameras, but If you use dpeview's 'video stills comparison' tool, you can clearly see the 1080p from the S1 and S1H is softer and has more aliasing & moire than the GH5. They haven't added the S5 to the list yet.

To me, the 'S' series 1080p looks like it's using at least some pixel-binning and/or line skipping, versus the GH5 using proper down-sampling from the full sensor output.

The GH5  seems to also exhibit very little moire and false colour aliasing artefacts. I compared it to the XT3 and A7iii too (in 1080p). 

Anyone using the S5 or S1H as a s35/Apsc camera with the Sigma 18-35 1.8 with the sñSigma adaptador?

This combination interests me if it all works seemlessly. AF-C is not important to me but I do like a one touch acurate back button focus to nail initial focus. Has anyone tried the combo?

...and a few days later, I'm keeping it after all.

In fact, a pair of them are going to be my main workhorses as I intended.

I have been trying to find a workaround and not just a 'kidding myself' fix, but something genuine.

I looked at both the HC-X1500 camcorder and the bridge camera (for my static manual and occasional but important AF needs) but just know that based on my current 1" sensor Sony camcorder, the footage is going to be shite. And it's still contrast detect, so nah.

Back on to the stage comes a used XT3 body and I already have a Fringer and 17-50mm f2.8 Sigma so for all my static manual focus needs, et voila and for the 1 minute or so on each job when I also need AF, et voila encore.

As I may have said before, I love this camera (the S5) in every way except the weird pulsing in AF mode but otherwise there is something just 'right' about it. That combo of size, weight, ergos, dials, buttons, operation and of course quality of both video and stills files.

Just need some projects to use the bugger on now...

26 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I have been trying to find a workaround and not just a 'kidding myself' fix, but something genuine.

I looked at both the HC-X1500 camcorder and the bridge camera (for my static manual and occasional but important AF needs) but just know that based on my current 1" sensor Sony camcorder, the footage is going to be shite. And it's still contrast detect, so nah.

Back on to the stage comes a used XT3 body and I already have a Fringer and 17-50mm f2.8 Sigma so for all my static manual focus needs, et voila and for the 1 minute or so on each job when I also need AF, et voila encore.

As I may have said before, I love this camera (the S5) in every way except the weird pulsing in AF mode but otherwise there is something just 'right' about it. That combo of size, weight, ergos, dials, buttons, operation and of course quality of both video and stills files.

Just need some projects to use the bugger on now...

I love the S5 as well. Coming from Sony FF , it's nice to have good IBIS and to get ride of the ugly noise reduction at high ISO. And the 50mm PRO is the best 50mm lens I have ever owned (even better than Sony Zeiss Planar).

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Hi I was looking at the HC-X1500/2000 as the perfect companion for my s5 for interviews and docs and sporting events and the quick moving aspect of any non controlled shoot. image looked good to me considering the uses from what I've seen online. Have you tried in person? I think coz of the small sensor almost everything is in focus so autofocus seems good because of that

23 minutes ago, Jermaine said:

Hi I was looking at the HC-X1500/2000 as the perfect companion for my s5 for interviews and docs and sporting events and the quick moving aspect of any non controlled shoot. image looked good to me considering the uses from what I've seen online. Have you tried in person? I think coz of the small sensor almost everything is in focus so autofocus seems good because of that

No, not tried it myself but I do have the Sony AX100 with an equivalent 1" sensor and maybe even a faster aperture (not sure without checking) and in low light...which is around 50% of it's use for my work, it's horrendous quality.

Most of my weddings are outdoors and couples think that tealights on tables and a few fairy lights is 'lighting'.

Well there's only so much lighting I can bring to a job and set up and they ARE advised (strongly) in regard to lighting, but otherwise we're often talking 12800 ISO territory with a fast full-frame prime. So the camcorder looks like mush, but XT3 @ f2.8 is just about OK still, especially with a bit of spot LED assistance.

In good light though, fine. It looks very digital of course as most camcorders do and doesn't match with any 'serious' footage and so I know it has no chance of being mixed in with APSC Fuji or cropped Panny footage. None!

Oh and one thing to consider is that with these 'large' sensor camcorders, from bitter experience, I can assure you that you CANNOT rely on the AF because if it wanders off, it WILL lose focus. I had a guest get up in church a few years back on one of my first jobs with it and it locked on to them walking towards the camera and then locked onto the back of the head of a guest for the next 20 minutes with the B&G completely OOF. Oops. Backup camera at a different angle rescued that one...

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

No, not tried it myself but I do have the Sony AX100 with an equivalent 1" sensor and maybe even a faster aperture (not sure without checking) and in low light...which is around 50% of it's use for my work, it's horrendous quality.

Most of my weddings are outdoors and couples think that tealights on tables and a few fairy lights is 'lighting'.

Well there's only so much lighting I can bring to a job and set up and they ARE advised (strongly) in regard to lighting, but otherwise we're often talking 12800 ISO territory with a fast full-frame prime. So the camcorder looks like mush, but XT3 @ f2.8 is just about OK still, especially with a bit of spot LED assistance.

In good light though, fine. It looks very digital of course as most camcorders do and doesn't match with any 'serious' footage and so I know it has no chance of being mixed in with APSC Fuji or cropped Panny footage. None!

Oh and one thing to consider is that with these 'large' sensor camcorders, from bitter experience, I can assure you that you CANNOT rely on the AF because if it wanders off, it WILL lose focus. I had a guest get up in church a few years back on one of my first jobs with it and it locked on to them walking towards the camera and then locked onto the back of the head of a guest for the next 20 minutes with the B&G completely OOF. Oops. Backup camera at a different angle rescued that one...

I'd suggest picking up a used GH5S as a B-cam. It will have similar colours, does well in low light, can record non-stop as long as you have cards and batteries (same batteries can be used in both cams). AF-C is shite but I have back button focus for a one touch focus and it works fine. I set focus and leave it. Plenty of cheap second hand lenses to choose from as well.