Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Yes, I know - I have my G9 setup like that, I use it a lot for wildlife video 🙂

The only issue is the S1H does not have a 4X digital zoom, which I find quite useful for the investigative reporting kinda work and law enforcement jobs. I sure hope the added this back in the S5, or will at least consider it in a future firmware update.

13 hours ago, Beritar said:

The S1H and S5 have been programmed differently. The S1H sacrifices rolling shutter 24.2 [ms] for dynamic range (in 4k). Whereas the S1 seems to sacrifice some dynamic range for better rolling shutter 21 [ms]. I also believe there must be Atleast 0.5 stops of dynamic range as a margin of error (upto 3 stops, it you see their A7sii tests). 

So, the difference, if any, is actually pretty minor. 

What seems seriously impressive, in their tests, is exposure latitude. 

On 9/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, ac6000cw said:

It looks like it's the same as on the m43 cameras - for stills, set the 'Picture Size' to be less than full resolution i.e. M or S, then enable 'Extended Tele Conversion' (which crops into the sensor to give you a 1:1 pixel mapped image of that resolution). So picture size 'M' gives a 1.4x zoom/crop, 'S' is a 2.0x zoom/crop (with FF lenses) when  'Extended Tele Conversion' is enabled.

OK, that worked.

If set to M on a function button, the S5 essentially becomes a Jpeg version of the Sony A7Siii 😉

17 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

But 9/10? I would disagree and say its 7/10 but coming from the older system which I would have given a 4/10 or even lower then that is a very nice improvement.

Hmmm, I think 9/10 is stretching it a bit!!

From my testing yesterday shooting about 10 clips, it was a bit hit & miss.

I was shooting at default settings and am now going to try his -3 +2 and some of the alternative AF options.

I shoot 4k 50p so have to shoot crop mode and that is supposed to be better with this AF system and one thing is for sure (from my very brief testing), the tighter the lens crop, the more sticky that AF is.

I only have the 20-60 lens at this point and it's least sticky at 20mm and so far pretty good at 60mm in some of my tests.

I'd go with 10/10 when it's working and 0/10 when it's not.

1 hour ago, ac6000cw said:

DFD generally works better at higher frame rates (so 50p is better than 25p), also sometimes choosing a slightly faster shutter speed can help since there is less motion blur e.g. try  50p with a 1/120 shutter instead of 1/100.

This, but I shoot much higher frame rates and don't bother with an ND, mostly because I'm shooting hybrid and the ND has a benefit for the video side, but at the same time, a negative on the stills side.

1/1000th + quite often and never noticed anything that bothers me with the resulting footage.

Right well, hit a 'snag'...

Stills mode, great. AF never missed.

Video mode AF, played around and for my kind of use, mostly OK.

Video mode AF, background pulsing... err, unacceptable.

Now I can manage 95% of my shooting day (weddings) with manual focus for video, but there are times when I need AF so I can mount one camera on my freestanding monopod and let 'it' shoot the video whilst I shoot stills.

Entrances, exits, first kiss, confetti, cake cutting. Total capture time not much more than a minute in total and end up being maybe 30 seconds or so of the final production, but KEY parts of the final production.

Struggling to get my head around a workaround now as the camera ticks boxes everywhere else.

Maybe I should have gone with the Sony A7Siii after all...

Maybe I should see what the Z6S is going to be...

Hmmm...

This background pulsing issue. Other than manual focus, there's no fix is there.

Could I live with and continue to invest in a system with this potential pulsing if it's only for 5 parts of the day if I switched to AF just for those 5 parts?

Dilemma...

I was happy with my XT3's except for lack of IBIS so maybe XT4 is the answer?

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

This, but I shoot much higher frame rates and don't bother with an ND, mostly because I'm shooting hybrid and the ND has a benefit for the video side, but at the same time, a negative on the stills side.

1/1000th + quite often and never noticed anything that bothers me with the resulting footage.

And if there is some weird artifact or something doesn’t look right you can now add motion blur in post, at the cost of processing time, to get a very pleasing and realistic result most of the time.

I do it on drone footage all the time when foreground is closer and moving past the frame.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Could I live with and continue to invest in a system with this potential pulsing if it's only for 5 parts of the day if I switched to AF just for those 5 parts?

No. This is why I’m finally moving away. The competition is just so good now with very little compromises. Kinda sad Panasonic didn’t step it up as they make very good stuff otherwise.

Well for AF depending shoots, look elsewhere. Micro HDMI is a bummer too. I will keep my S1 for the monitoring via full HDMI and hopefully Pana will give us S1 owners 10bit 4k60 Super35 via update. @Andrew Reid would you mind talking to Pana and suggest to them a humble firmware update for S1 owners, since the S5 has been so generously blessed with codecs, VLog and swivel screen. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

No. This is why I’m finally moving away. The competition is just so good now with very little compromises. Kinda sad Panasonic didn’t step it up as they make very good stuff otherwise.

I'm going to sleep on it but I think it's my only real course of action.

My only real issue with Fuji was the lack of IBIS in the XT3.

But they fixed that with the XT4. 

Still not keen on these fully articulating screens over tilts, but I can live with that more than I can pulsating backgrounds!

We'll see tomorrow but as you say, it's kind of sad. It's the ONLY thing stopping me from loving this camera, but it's driving me nuts.

36 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

That ultimate image quality of the S series has its price. 🙂 @MrSMW

Yup and I have to say I'm pretty gutted. These are pretty shit times as it is, but it's an even shittier day when your shiny new thing proves not to be quite what you expected...

Hey ho, worse things happen at sea as my grandfather is fond of saying!

@MrSMW Give it a run for its money and milk its incredible image quality. Film some Vlog footage at 4000iso with minimal lighting power of your romantic interest and drool over these skintones. Btw I think Vlog needs a a bit of grading effort and love otherwise I find it a bit sterile. Does it have 10bit, even though 420, for the 120fps?

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Video mode AF, background pulsing... err, unacceptable.

Maybe I should see what the Z6S is going to be...

I was so close to getting the S5 but the AF in video was the deal breaker. The low res EVF didn’t help either. 

The launch offer was tempting but the Sigma 45mm is a bit soft wide open, so not much benefit over an F4 lens. Then there’s the question of how well non-Panny lenses will focus with DFD?

I realised I should focus more on really good but affordable lenses and not fuss about body features too much. Nikon Z lenses seem to fit the bill for me. With the price of the Z6 coming down so much, I reckon I can get a body, F4 kit zoom and 50mm 1.8 for about the same price as S5 inc kit lens and free sigma. But I’d get more reliable and consistent focusing and the two Z lenses should be better too.

I love the clever features in the S5 like Pixel Shift, Live View Composites and Post Focus but I decided it’s more important for me to have the day to day basics right.