Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

What EF adapter will you get?

I just saw a video claiming the AF for the mhotography side from the s5 is good, only AF in video sucks. Which isnt that big of a deal for me, the only reason AF is needed is because my wife can only use Af, and next time we go out for a trip I want my face not to be blurry (hmm or maybe its not accidental)

I already have a Sigma MC-21 that I have used with my S1H. No continuous autofocus, and even single point autofocus is abysmal.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Found this on YouTube and while it seems to do a somewhat decent job of keeping the lady in focus, the DFD pulsing of the background is a total deal breaker to me when it comes to AF-C in in video. If it completely goes off the rails like on the GH5 where it just runs off to infinity focus, you know you gotta cut at that point or reshoot. But who wants footage where every half second the background juggles between being sharp or blurry (which you probably can't even tell on the EVF/screen)?

In combination with AF-C during video still being too unreliable and manual focus being the best option, I really am even less happy with the decision to go for such a cost-cutting choice of EVF and not at least the one from GH5.

We're really at this point where everyone is one step away from the perfect(enough) camera. Panasonic is missing good AF-C, Sony could kill it if they put 10bit codecs into their cameras, Canon needs to get a grip on the thermic limitations, etc. ... "Luckily" the market is still driven by photography and there basically all brands are exceeding what 99% of users need.

39 minutes ago, Phil A said:

We're really at this point where everyone is one step away from the perfect(enough) camera.

Indeed. They all seem intent on crippling their product in at least one area and not achieving global domination.

It makes no sense to me, but what do I know...

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

the DFD pulsing of the background is a total deal breaker to me when it comes to AF-C in in video

I watched this a few days ago and didn’t notice the pulsing. I’m not really a videographer and like most lay people, just watched the main focal point. But now you’ve pointed it out, I can see the pulsing in the background, especially in the start and end shots. 

In other tracking shots, it was hard for me to tell if there was pulsing or motion blur in the background. 
I am curious as to which set of factors makes it particularly bad. Such as static camera or subject moving towards the camera or background distance?
If I understood DFD better, I might get why it does this pulsing when it already has the main subject in focus and tracking is locked on to it?

Panasonic...please.

Arguably some of the best video orientated features in the business: menu, on screen info, custom mode buttons, IBIS, full v-log, with updated colors, robust anamorphic support and modes, decent wireless phone app, one of the best images in the game, balanced and non-compromised codec options, great handling and ergonomics with lots of custom buttons and very practical dedicated ones (WB, EC, ISO), robustly built, practical camera bodies.

It’s all let down by the AF. All the hard work in all those other areas...completely destroyed by the AF. Unsold cameras because of the AF.

The reason I’m hesitant to give you anymore money, and I’m sure I’m not along, is the pulsing AF. The tracking is much improved, great! Awesome step forward. DfD can work in some situations in a pinch and a few reshoots. But, I’m not going to drop $4000, $5000, $6000 on a system with shitty AF in 2020 and beyond. Not with so many other good choices. It just doesn’t make sense anymore. AF is now very, very useful and reliable (On Sony and Canon anyway) for 90% of what people want and MF is only a tiny switch flick away for that other 10%. The market has shifted. Your competitors now have 10-bit log with good color. AF in all modes including 4K120p slow motion and above.

It’s time.

I’m a huge Panasonic and MFT fanboy but you gotta do something different or your cameras will go unsold and your L-mount will fail. And that will, with all honesty and sincerity, be a sad day.

I made some simple and informal tests today with my little 5 year old kid running and monkeying around, and I was pleasantly surprised by the S5. Nowhere near my S1h, very different, in a positive way. The AF box sticks to people and faces waaaaaaaay better, and the pulsing didn't showed its ugly face in all the footage I shot today. I was very impressed and it seemed to me like night and day compared to the S1H or the GX80 that I own !
Of course, I really need to make some other tests but for now in video i'm really impressed, for personal and family things, I would definitely use AFC. For professional work and paid gigs, I need to do more tests. 
I was shooting 4K UHD 25p 10bit.

8 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

the pulsing didn't showed its ugly face in all the footage I shot today.

I wonder if this is because virtually all, if not all, of the initial reviews were with pre-production models?

Though folks only had their units for a few weeks prior to 2nd Sep and production units started arriving 20th I believe.

Still setting mine up as a hybrid and it’s a bit of a transition from Fuji in that regard!

Menu is very good, muscle memory terrible, but that will come with familiarity and making use of custom modes that I have never used before for one switch hybrid use.

I have discovered...or at least cannot find, a way to switch from FF to crop mode for stills with a FF lens which is something other cameras can do. Is it even possible with FF Panasonic?

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I have discovered...or at least cannot find, a way to switch from FF to crop mode for stills with a FF lens which is something other cameras can do. Is it even possible with FF Panasonic?

It looks like it's the same as on the m43 cameras - for stills, set the 'Picture Size' to be less than full resolution i.e. M or S, then enable 'Extended Tele Conversion' (which crops into the sensor to give you a 1:1 pixel mapped image of that resolution). So picture size 'M' gives a 1.4x zoom/crop, 'S' is a 2.0x zoom/crop (with FF lenses) when  'Extended Tele Conversion' is enabled.

31 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I don't know why they don't just have a simple 'crop' mode you can assign to a function button?!

If you have  'Extended Tele Conversion' enabled all the time, then changing the 'Picture Size' should do that (and 'Picture Size' can be mapped to a function button, as far as I can tell from the user guide). I don't own an S5, I'm just a long-term Panasonic m43 user.

14 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Link, please?

I couldn't find it last night and was beginning to wonder if I had imagined it but I found it this morning. My memory was just a little off on his settings, speed is -3 and sensitivity +2.

The AF part starts around 8:50. And at 13:25 there's a short docu thing that he shoots with all AF. 

AF is much improved and dare I say “impressive” compared to what we had on GH5 and the S1 and S1H on release.

But 9/10? I would disagree and say its 7/10 but coming from the older system which I would have given a 4/10 or even lower then that is a very nice improvement.

There will always be that pulsing wiggle on out of focus highlights. That’s just how contrast AF works. So you either 1) need to reduce the need to do the contrast wiggle to check focus or 2) make it so fast and so small that is becomes hard to perceive. 

9 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

It looks like it's the same as on the m43 cameras - for stills, set the 'Picture Size' to be less than full resolution i.e. M or S, then enable 'Extended Tele Conversion' (which crops into the sensor to give you a 1:1 pixel mapped image of that resolution). So picture size 'M' gives a 1.4x zoom/crop, 'S' is a 2.0x zoom/crop (with FF lenses) when  'Extended Tele Conversion' is enabled.

You can assign Ex-Teleconverter to a button on the GH5 and pressing it twice will toggle it on and off (when not actively recording). It’s very handy.

I think with improvements and more MP sensors really makes wide angle zooms very versatile. I’m really hoping the GH6 will be a native 6K recording camera with this mode as it would make the 10-25 f1.7 a two in one lens zoom when engaged and still get 4K image without the need to swap to say a 35-100 f2.8 lens.