Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Beritar You beat me to it. You rascal.:) But not on the write up. Here is mine from my post in the A7siii thread two minutes ago. S5 is an image quality monster. The godzilla camera for your pocket:

Lumix S5 is a real winner. When I tested the 8bit codecs of the S1, there was no mushyness whatsoever at high isos in extreme low (no) light situations. a few tiny Artefacts became visible in the shadows at no light. Interesting enough the super slim 75mbit h265 codec had grain in these situations, on the contrary it breaks apart on evenly and well lit plain surfaces. So I have been super impressed. Still don´t have the Vlog update, because I dont know if Panasonic will give it to us for free very soon. Would be a bit of wasted 200 USD then. S1, no mushyness in the shadows in no light situations, but grain. "No light" what a term for photography.:)

S5 with Vlog has now been tested and it is performing the best compared to R5,6, A7siii, the latter one the worst. S5 is an image quality monster. Hard to believe they did it. Cinema quality in a 150mbit codec. Panasonic needs to promote it better. They can ask me being an ambassador. Here I come @andy lee 🙂

Check out Andrews friends from slashcam de and put it through the translator or check out the image. Amazing that S5 bad sis of a cam! I either sell my S1 and get one or wait for Pana to shell out a free VLog update:) Now check this image out and be amazed. The is a sophisticated raw debayering process called amazed by the way. Anyway, here you go:

https://www.slashcam.de/images/texte/1974-300Prozent_Auge-300Prozent_Auge.jpg

14 hours ago, Beritar said:

Sony takes the marketing mouth fullest with 15 f-stops and still ends up in last place in our assessment, which is due to the unfavorable mix of noise reduction and compression artifacts. 

I think Sony is quite aggressive with NR on a7S III, wonder is 12MP just too low res?

Panasonic really tweaked their 24MP really well, at expense of no PDAF on the sensor.

yeah, maybe I’m dense but I’m not sure I see why the Panasonic is better here? The color is pretty consistent up ETTR-6, but so is everybody else. Maybe someone can explain? Is it the fact that it’s only 150Mbps LongGOP and the others are high bitrate ALL-I? Panasonic I think has some of the most sensible and balanced Codec implementations out of all the camera manufactures. They are strong in this area for sure.

I think Panasonic needs to go all in and bring the full VariCam V-Log color science to LUMIX. S1H is close but that said it was a “tweaked” color science from the VariCam. They just need to give us the real deal and be done with it. Why segment?

They need to do more and more to stand out since all their traditional advantages are now standard features on their competitors. I find it funny Canon finally added 10-bit log and then crippled the fuck out of it with insane bitrates and editing performance. Maybe this will change in the future as hardware gets better but generally this space moves very very slowly because of codec patent prices and negotiations.

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

They need to do more and more to stand out since all their traditional advantages are now standard features on their competitors. I find it funny Canon finally added 10-bit log and then crippled the fuck out of it with insane bitrates and editing performance. Maybe this will change in the future as hardware gets better but generally this space moves very very slowly because of codec patent prices and negotiations.

The new Macbook with Apple chip should change that relatively soonish  (coming end of this year), and still waiting to see if RTX3000/Big Navi have X.265 10bit 422 support, if not  it's gonna be a really long time for next RTX4000 series.

9 hours ago, ntblowz said:

The new Macbook with Apple chip should change that relatively soonish  (coming end of this year), and still waiting to see if RTX3000/Big Navi have X.265 10bit 422 support, if not  it's gonna be a really long time for next RTX4000 series.

From what I am hearing, they are gonna support AV1. They already have hardware H.264/H.265 encode and decode in all AMD and NVidia GPUs in the latest Premiere Pro CC Betas.

6 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

From what I am hearing, they are gonna support AV1. They already have hardware H.264/H.265 encode and decode in all AMD and NVidia GPUs in the latest Premiere Pro CC Betas.

I forgot the iPad Pro can handle R5 no problem! I’m actually pretty excited for the ARM based Apple silicon MacBook pros. If they have hardware acceleration then from a editing standpoint (with FCPX at least) they will be quite awesome.

Pretty impressive chewing through 8K R5 footage no problem in a small device like that, add a bigger chassis, active cooling, higher clocks, and more cores...can’t wait!

HEVC at around 200Mbps LongGOP and 400Mbps ALL-I with hardware acceleration is a sweet spot from a storage, image quality, and editing performance standpoint imho.

Most of the benefits of AV1 are at lower bitrates so its an excellent streaming codec but I think its 5 years or more from going mainstream.

Kaboom, it's arrived!

Sorry, no YouTube unboxing video or reading of spec list, just an initial impression whilst the battery is charging.

I've come from 8-9 years of Fuji as my main cameras with some dabbling in 1" Sony and M4/3 Panasonic but have otherwise never owned a full frame mirrorless before.

I had Nikon DSLR prior to Fuji for stills with a D7000 for filming...but things have moved on since 2010!

First of all, it feels superb in the hand. In terms of size for handling and my use, just about perfect.

Weight, perfect and I currently have the 20-60mm 'kit' lens attached I bought it with which will become my personal travel lens and my stills work wide angle.

Build quality. Well all my old gear has now been sold but I'd say it's all a step up from Fuji and I had no complaints about that, but the build and finish are superb and the way the dials click and operate etc.

Next up, some stills and video tests to get a feel for how it all works etc and that all important AF test..., but so far, it's all looking good!

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Kaboom, it's arrived!

Sorry, no YouTube unboxing video or reading of spec list, just an initial impression whilst the battery is charging.

I've come from 8-9 years of Fuji as my main cameras with some dabbling in 1" Sony and M4/3 Panasonic but have otherwise never owned a full frame mirrorless before.

I had Nikon DSLR prior to Fuji for stills with a D7000 for filming...but things have moved on since 2010!

First of all, it feels superb in the hand. In terms of size for handling and my use, just about perfect.

Weight, perfect and I currently have the 20-60mm 'kit' lens attached I bought it with which will become my personal travel lens and my stills work wide angle.

Build quality. Well all my old gear has now been sold but I'd say it's all a step up from Fuji and I had no complaints about that, but the build and finish are superb and the way the dials click and operate etc.

Next up, some stills and video tests to get a feel for how it all works etc and that all important AF test..., but so far, it's all looking good!

Same for me it has arrived today. Tomorrow i'll make some tests to see what this little beast can output but so far first impressions are extremely good. Seems as well built as my S1H. 

Very comfortable in hand and so happy about the weight and size. I'ts going to be my daily camera, as well as my b-cam for shoots. 

I have a shooting on Wednesday (a small narrative web ad for an app) that I planned to shoot on one camera but I'm tempted to throw the S5 on set to take some additional coverage... Just to see how well it matches with its big brother. 

2 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Same for me it has arrived today. Tomorrow i'll make some tests to see what this little beast can output but so far first impressions are extremely good. Seems as well built as my S1H. 

Very comfortable in hand and so happy about the weight and size. I'ts going to be my daily camera, as well as my b-cam for shoots. 

I have a shooting on Wednesday (a small narrative web ad for an app) that I planned to shoot on one camera but I'm tempted to throw the S5 on set to take some additional coverage... Just to see how well it matches with its big brother. 

Yeah def want to see how good it stacks up with the s1h. 

I ordered mine today, and they already charged my card, so I expect it to arrive this week. I don't have any video shoots planned, but I do have a wedding photo shoot on Oct. 3, so this will probably be a great time to put this on my adapted Canon 80-200 f/2.8 along with my S1H and 24-105 f/4. I may set up a cheap model session just to put these duo to a good video test!

2 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

I ordered mine today, and they already charged my card, so I expect it to arrive this week. I don't have any video shoots planned, but I do have a wedding photo shoot on Oct. 3, so this will probably be a great time to put this on my adapted Canon 80-200 f/2.8 along with my S1H and 24-105 f/4. I may set up a cheap model session just to put these duo to a good video test!

What EF adapter will you get?

I just saw a video claiming the AF for the mhotography side from the s5 is good, only AF in video sucks. Which isnt that big of a deal for me, the only reason AF is needed is because my wife can only use Af, and next time we go out for a trip I want my face not to be blurry (hmm or maybe its not accidental)

Is there any knowledge or educated guesses if the ProRes Raw 5.7K will be limited to 30p (or even 24)?

Im considering S5 purely for raw video codec, which I’d want in 60p. So its either S1H or a7sIII otherwise but those offer more stuff for more money, but i have most other features already covered by an SL2. I used an fp for raw so far but no ibis and no 60p made me move on. 

3 hours ago, igorpilot said:

Is there any knowledge or educated guesses if the ProRes Raw 5.7K will be limited to 30p (or even 24)?

Im considering S5 purely for raw video codec, which I’d want in 60p. So its either S1H or a7sIII otherwise but those offer more stuff for more money, but i have most other features already covered by an SL2. I used an fp for raw so far but no ibis and no 60p made me move on. 

Even my S1H doesn't do 5.9K in 60p, so I guess you are out of luck. The S5 is identical to the S1H.