Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to shoot staged short films and now I try to choose the right camera. I won't make videoblogs but versatility is important to me. I'll be shooting a lot of things right on the street and on the move. I really like the BMPCC 4K (or 6K) cause of the BRAW, the ability to work with SSD and the high quality of footage. But I'm very upset by the lack of a photo mode, a non-rotating screen, and the lack of IBIS. Panasonic S5 is on sale now and I'm thinking of buying it. So I'd like to ask a few questions. 

1. Could I get the same cinematic footage from S5 as from BMPCC? BMPCC footage seems like magic to me. Could hybrid camera footage be the same? And is 10-bit 4:2:2 really that much different from BRAW?
2. Is there any Android app for Panasonic picture monitoring? Without HDMI and extra wires.
3. I heard that people don't like the lack of full-fledged HDMI input. So I want to ask why is micro-HDMI so bad?
4. Is it possible to disable noise reduction completely on S1H or on S5? In ProRes RAW mode or during internal recording.

I'd be grateful for every answer.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Beating BMPCC6K BRAW is quite impressive. 

Why, BRAW is more about 12 bit colour than DR.  You can see that in the colour holding up in my opinion better on the Pocket 6K  footage, aside from some red clipping.  A fullframe sensor is obviously going to be less noisy than a S35 one and this test focused very much on noise in shadow areas.  Again comparing H264 to RAW, can be comparing no NR to some NR.. 

The advantages of RAW are more with changing ISO and WB and working with 12 bit colour.  Given the S1 and S1H has better DR than the Pockets, its not hard to expect the S5 to follow in that line.  

4 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

can be comparing no NR to some NR.. 

Coming from a Pocket 4K with cDNG to one with Braw let me tell you BMD is using actually quite a bit of NR - although I have to admit the Pocket 6K thankfully does way less than the Pocket 4K when I had to switch to Braw (because I had to get a replacement for my broken unit). The S5 looks weird though, reminds me about the S1H pre firmware 2.0. Looks like temporal noise reduction forced on again...🙄

Also red (and blue) clipping isn't something that can be easily fixed. 😞

10 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah with the lens deal, I think this is a too good of a deal to pass up on. The S1H has one stop of ibis more, 4K 60 FPS without crop and the anti aliasing filter, (not interested in external recording) but thats not worth twice the price for me at least. 

S1H also have crop when shooting 4k60P.

I just sold my GH5S kit at a major loss (body, 12-60 lens, battery grip and 5 OEM batteries for $1500), so I can get the S5. I just have too many problems matching color between the GH5S and the S1H. Anyone know of a filter that I can use to reduce the chance of morie, since the S5 doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter?

1 hour ago, Lux Shots said:

I just sold my GH5S kit at a major loss (body, 12-60 lens, battery grip and 5 OEM batteries for $1500), so I can get the S5. I just have too many problems matching color between the GH5S and the S1H. Anyone know of a filter that I can use to reduce the chance of morie, since the S5 doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter?

Wonder will Pro mist filter work?

Well I just made my balance pre-order payment with CVP in the UK so it must be on it's way very shortly...

Obviously I will do my own testing, but on the basis that the AF works best (for video) at a higher frame rate, APSC crop, longer rather than wider focal lengths and higher shutter speeds, that bodes well as that's how I shoot!

I can always send it back if it's not up to par but I have a feeling, especially for my needs, it's going to be.

Better be as I sold off everything I have in advance to raise the funds and it's my only big shift in kit in 9 years!

I will find out soon enough...