Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If Panasonic would only give some freebies for the S1 users, 10bit VLOG please, 4k60 10bit please. Thank you. 25p in 6K photomode. Thank you super much, Panny! A rigged GH5 is still an indiecinema beast. But that image quality from the Lumix S series is just another league. But is that so? I filmed some very spiffy stuff this weekend and I am amazed again about the material shot with the GH5 if applying some digital diffusion in post. Great looking image. But, S series is indeed in another league. Now, that update for the S1 would make me keep mine and buy a S5 later.  🙂

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Nice with 3 year warranty & extra battery! I also pre-ordered today, the free Sigma 45 2.8 is too good to pass, my friend pre-ordered the body and Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 L mount combo.

I hesitated between the 20-60 kit or buying body only with the cashback offer on the 16-35 f4 but I ended up wanting to be as light and small as possible. 
I also received my Fotodiox EF-L VND adapter today. So stocked about it, it is still really shiny in Paris these days so I will find some ways to use it and test it but so far I find it really great for now, good built quality, locks very firmly on the mount and the lens doesn't wobble, the ND is nice, good quality with hard stops (changes from circular NDs and my PolarPro Mattebox).

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I filmed some very spiffy stuff this weekend and I am amazed again about the material shot with the GH5 if applying some digital diffusion in post. Great looking image. But, S series is indeed in another league. Now, that update for the S1 would make me keep mine and buy a S5 later.  🙂

To me the ultrad budget indie filmmaking cameras today are the Pocket 4k/6K and the GH5. Nothing can beat them as of now for indie ultra budget cinema shooting. Except maybe the Panasonic S5. Pretyy sure it will be a big hit for those in the marke for a GH5 or a pocket 6k, because now they can afford a full frame camera that shoot as good or better cinematic footage.

I do find the continuous AF quite good in this video (not that interesting except for the AF). It's not very difficult shots but even those kind of shots would have sometimes been ruined with former Panasonic cameras. What i find also very good is that the pulsing is not as bad as before, it's sometimes not there at all or very subtle.

10 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

I will put it through its paces as I have some interesting jobs coming along, especially one shooting a documentary for the french national television service (France Television) if it is delivered in time.

what are the standards on delivery to the French Nation Television? Do they have shooting and delivery standards?

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

These are the requirements for delivery :

Ressources techniques _ France Télévisions.png
Classic requirements, nothing fancy. 

indeed, thank you very much. They recently started asking for double delivery in Greece, 1080 and 4K, even though there is no 4K channel! Maybe they are thinking slightly ahead, which is surprising for anything Greek!

Was that so difficult for Canon to offer these settings to the C200?!! Sorry for the off topic.

15 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

The S1/S5/S1H 4K 24p 10-bit is H.264, while the 4K 60p 10-bit is H.265. The S1H 5.9K 10-bit internal is H.265.

I haven't forgot about you, I have just been crazy busy. I'm also done with the Facebook group, too much bullshit there for me to be honest. I'm trying to set something up with a model, but models can be nervous when you ask them to shoot in low light at night for the first gig. I'm going to try and get some time on Wednesday for a photoshoot, and then maybe I can get a video shoot with her later in the week.

Haha holy crap dude, can't believe that you are still gonna do this. Thank you very much for the sacrifice bro. I also do wonder what the 4000, 6400 and 12800 looks like in vlog, so if you can maybe shoot some footage at those iso levels as well that would be amazing. Thank you so much!

19 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Pretty excited by this camera as it is the one I was waiting for in the L-mount system : a smaller camera than my S1H that could still shoot awesome video to match with the bigger brother, being quite smaller to be my B-cam/gimbal cam, also my main stills camera, and one that I could bring everyday to shoot some street and mundane photography (without the hassle to release the S1H from the rig/cage between pro gigs) and one camera that I could take on vacation without sacrificing any quality in stills picture and video.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I prefer using Panasonic or Canon and Canon really blew it with the R5 and R6 for video shooters (I also just don't like the ergonomics and design of their RF mirrorless cameras). The C70 looks really interesting, but not sure it will be any better than the S1H, which is my favorite sub $15k camera/image I've ever used.

But I have been reluctant to go full L-Mount due to the lack of a smaller camera I can use as a B-Cam and as my photography camera. But with the S5 and a small 24mm and 50mm coming out soon (hopefully by end of year?), I'm pretty stoked to have the S1H/S5 combo for the next few years at least.

Now an L-Mount, full-frame EVA-2 needs to come very soon. 

18 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

If Panasonic would only give some freebies for the S1 users, 10bit VLOG please, 4k60 10bit please. Thank you. 25p in 6K photomode. Thank you super much, Panny! A rigged GH5 is still an indiecinema beast. But that image quality from the Lumix S series is just another league. But is that so? I filmed some very spiffy stuff this weekend and I am amazed again about the material shot with the GH5 if applying some digital diffusion in post. Great looking image. But, S series is indeed in another league. Now, that update for the S1 would make me keep mine and buy a S5 later.  🙂

100% agree! 

It honestly seems like panasonic will update the s1 to outclass the s5. In all interviews and hints it seems likely itll get RAW externally and possibly even dci 4K internally 

We will find out soon, but im optimistic 

4 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Now an L-Mount, full-frame EVA-2 needs to come very soon. 

Waiting for this.

I saw an EVA1 on mpb.com being sold for 3600€ with only 70 hours of running time! I was about to buy it but decided to wait a bit, as I needed more a little b-cam to my S1H than a bigger cam. But as my video business is going up, I may have needs for a bigger cam later so I don't have to rent anymore, so an EVA-2 would be very interesting. 

Right, S5 is back on my radar as a very viable option for a multitude of reasons I will not bore you with, but having been an APSC (Fuji) user in regard to mirrorless only, I have a very specific question...

Panny states they are bringing out a series of f1.8 lenses in the 'near future'.

I am reading that as being by Spring 2021 latest, but we will wait and see in that regard.

My specific question however is as follows:

I am a hybrid shooter.

I currently have one body set for video and another body set for stills.

I would like at a flick of a switch to alternate between two identical bodies with different lenses.

Ideally to keep my kit as compact as possible, I'd be looking at a pair of S5's for hybrid use and a single Sigma FP for static video duty. Ignore the FP though, it's not part of this question.

I shoot 4k 50p for filming/video purposes and wish to continue with that so in the case of the S5, that means shooting APSC crop.

No problem, I do that already and actually prefer it because it gives me tighter framing which for my needs is preferable.

So I am getting to it now 😉

Let's say I purchased the 24mm f1.8, the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8, at another flick of a switch, I could shoot these (stills) as either FF at those focal lengths, or APSC stills at equivalent 36/53/128mm yes?

Call me tight...but actually it's not that, it's more a case of most compact kit with max flexibility and it's really only the 85mm I'd want to ideally shoot longer (at times), even if it means shooting APSC, because 85mm (FF) is not always long enough for my needs and an extra lens such as a 135mm, is more cost, more weight to carry around, more lens changes etc.

The summary is I think most if not all FF mirrorless cameras allow you the choice of FF or APSC crop for stills, but worth asking the question before I make any major financial decisions.

Let me know if I'm right because I am new to FF mirrorless so it's a bit of a learning curve. And I'm a bit thick.

55 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Right, S5 is back on my radar as a very viable option for a multitude of reasons I will not bore you with, but having been an APSC (Fuji) user in regard to mirrorless only, I have a very specific question...

Panny states they are bringing out a series of f1.8 lenses in the 'near future'.

I am reading that as being by Spring 2021 latest, but we will wait and see in that regard.

My specific question however is as follows:

I am a hybrid shooter.

I would like at a flick of a switch to alternate between two identical bodies with different lenses.

Ideally to keep my kit as compact as possible, I'd be looking at a pair of S5's for hybrid use and a single Sigma FP for static video duty. Ignore the FP though, it's not part of this question.

I shoot 4k 50p for filming/video purposes and wish to continue with that so in the case of the S5, that means shooting APSC crop.

No problem, I do that already and actually prefer it because it gives me tighter framing which for my needs is preferable.

So I am getting to it now 😉

Let's say I purchased the 24mm f1.8, the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8, at another flick of a switch, I could shoot these (stills) as either FF at those focal lengths, or APSC stills at equivalent 36/53/128mm yes?

Call me tight...but actually it's not that, it's more a case of most compact kit with max flexibility and it's really only the 85mm I'd want to ideally shoot longer (at times), even if it means shooting APSC, because 85mm (FF) is not always long enough for my needs and an extra lens such as a 135mm, is more cost, more weight to carry around, more lens changes etc.

The summary is I think most if not all FF mirrorless cameras allow you the choice of FF or APSC crop for stills, but worth asking the question before I make any major financial decisions.

Let me know if I'm right because I am new to FF mirrorless so it's a bit of a learning curve. And I'm a bit thick.

Yup, that's it. But one thing to note that you may not be aware of. Panasonic makes the most customizable cameras of all manufacturers. I routinely switch between APS-C and FF crop in both stills and video with the press of a button. Or you could use C1 for stills and C2 for video.

You most definitely can make the camera do what you want, but it will be harder deciding which way you want to do it! 😃

40 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

Yup, that's it. But one thing to note that you may not be aware of. Panasonic makes the most customizable cameras of all manufacturers. I routinely switch between APS-C and FF crop in both stills and video with the press of a button. Or you could use C1 for stills and C2 for video.

You most definitely can make the camera do what you want, but it will be harder deciding which way you want to do it!

OK, great, what I thought then!

FF or APSC for stills = check.

APSC at all times for 4k 50p = check.

Just waiting on a quote for all my Fuji and other gear and then it's L Mount Alliance here we come.

It's offering me the closest to my needs out of anyone and also at the best cost to change. Which is a bonus.

Personally I find the idea of a crop between video modes unacceptable.  There will be in all likelihood a S2H, and doubtless will remedy the issue as well as bring the benefits of improved focus.  Or else there is the GH6.  I'm reluctant though to invest in a new lens mount until I see what Panasonic has in store.  At the moment, there is so much chatter over their future in the camera industry, will it still see a MFT GH5 successor, will there be ASPC models, will they continue to develop and inprove fullframe..  the hybrid line is frustrating me and given I shoot so little photos, I wonder if just focusing on video cameras, though you lose the small size that hybrids bring. 

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

the hybrid line is frustrating me and given I shoot so little photos, I wonder if just focusing on video cameras, though you lose the small size that hybrids bring. 

Well I shoot roughly 60% stills and 40% video, so for me, somewhat obviously, a stills orientated camera is a must, but if I was shooting pure video, pretty sure I'd be shooting a dedicated video style camera and not compromising in certain areas with a hybrid.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I am a hybrid shooter.

Slightly out of thread, but since I'm looking at Fuji: how this works - or not - with the XT-3? How many steps are needed to switch "functions"?

2 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Personally I find the idea of a crop between video modes unacceptable.  There will be in all likelihood a S2H, and doubtless will remedy the issue as well as bring the benefits of improved focus.  Or else there is the GH6.  I'm reluctant though to invest in a new lens mount until I see what Panasonic has in store.  At the moment, there is so much chatter over their future in the camera industry, will it still see a MFT GH5 successor, will there be ASPC models, will they continue to develop and inprove fullframe..  the hybrid line is frustrating me and given I shoot so little photos, I wonder if just focusing on video cameras, though you lose the small size that hybrids bring. 

I’m in the same boat. I have quality MFT glass. I would like to know 1) will there be a GH6 or not (and will they pull out of MFT) 2) Will Panasonic pull out of cameras altogether in 2021 anyway...there are rumors of restructuring, vague promises and weird language about future MFT cameras, and the current market make me think its very likely.

A GH6 release will be great. I can use that camera for 3-4 years and be very happy with it. If they decide to drop MFT after that...so be it. I hope they have their FF cameras competitive by then.

The safest bet is Sony E-mount. But I’ve never been a real fan of their camera bodies. Maybe that will change. Second best is Canon...the question there how much frustration due to asinine crippling am I willing to put up with for their bullet proof autofocus and quality image...

Then there is the wildcard, Fuji. If they release a X-H2 or any other video focused mirrorless hybrid they shoot to #2 spot instantly. I just don’t think their lens lineup is all that interesting over MFT.

22 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

I hesitated between the 20-60 kit or buying body only with the cashback offer on the 16-35 f4 but I ended up wanting to be as light and small as possible. 
I also received my Fotodiox EF-L VND adapter today. So stocked about it, it is still really shiny in Paris these days so I will find some ways to use it and test it but so far I find it really great for now, good built quality, locks very firmly on the mount and the lens doesn't wobble, the ND is nice, good quality with hard stops (changes from circular NDs and my PolarPro Mattebox)

Hi,

Where did you buy the Fotodiox EF-L VND, in Europe where?

Color cast is OK?

your opinions are apreciatted here, many dubts at the beggininig