Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

there is no S1 in that comparison video though 🙂

Right. S5. The lack of capital letters from your side to begin the periods and their verbiage on their many different camera model version additions made my mess, very true : ) Thanks for correcting and bringing me back to track :- )

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Right. S5. The lack of capital letters from your side to begin the periods and their verbiage on their many different camera model versions additions made my mess, very true. Thanks for correcting and bringing me back to track :- )

oh sorry, I will try to keep an eye out for that 🙂

15 minutes ago, Davos said:

No 4K 60 10 bit. No All-I. Instant show stoppers for me. This is before you get to the AF which just doesn't cut it these days. Plus the IBIS doesn't look great, given they're targetting this at vloggers with flippy screen and size, another miss.

I agree with Gerald Undone's assessment that it's a strange combo - will ultimately support anamorphic but no 4K 60 10 bit and All-I?

Missed opportunity all round. Strange choices by Pannasonic. As an aside the leaked specs didn't match up.

Based on the video, the S5 IBIS is worse than the S1H but seems good enough. The A7III is helpless though ...

I would like to see a comparison between the GH5/S5.

9 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The a6600 is $1198. That’s a far cry from $2000. The a7IV isn’t going to get a $500 price hike as it’s a parts bin camera, it’s just cobbled together with tech developed from other cameras In a down spec body.

The S5 is DOA for anyone that’s not a Panny die hard mostly because of its trash AF compared to the competition and other hits from the cripple hammer. The R6 and the now ancient a7III will easily crush it. And the a7IV is going to mop the floor with all of these, unless the a7c turns out to be something special instead of just a small FF body. 

In the UK currently, the A6600 plus kit lens is £1700. The A7iii, plus kit lens, is currently available for is £1900. But it has only come down to that level because it's relatively old. The S5 is being debuted at £2000 including kit lens. I'm including one lens here because I suspect people stepping up to FF from M43/APS-C will largely be starting again, glass-wise. Sony's FF lens compatibility with its APS-C line might give it a modest starting advantage here.

Remember, Sony still has the upcoming A7C to squeeze in to the picture. Common sense dictates that that there will have to be some clear blue water between that and the A6600. The same principle will apply to the A7iv, which I confidently predict will put it much closer to the R6 in price than the S5. As for the R6 itself, I don't know how you think a camera which stops working so frequently 'crushes' one which just works, albeit you have to take more care with focusing issues. 

yes well the S1 and S1H have 1 stop more of ibis over the S5, but I am still leaning towards the S5 because of the weight(flipscreen). For walking shots you still need a gymbal/glidecam anyways so I figure I rather lift 300GR less each time I fly it. And prolly because it is smaller and lighter it gets mounted much faster, and doesnt need that much precision on a ronin s for example(could be wrong but I def noticed the difference rigging a RED vs my old GH4). 

3 hours ago, agoldstraw said:

In the UK currently, the A6600 plus kit lens is £1700. The A7iii, plus kit lens, is currently available for is £1900. But it has only come down to that level because it's relatively old. The S5 is being debuted at £2000 including kit lens. I'm including one lens here because I suspect people stepping up to FF from M43/APS-C will largely be starting again, glass-wise. Sony's FF lens compatibility with its APS-C line might give it a modest starting advantage here.

Remember, Sony still has the upcoming A7C to squeeze in to the picture. Common sense dictates that that there will have to be some clear blue water between that and the A6600. The same principle will apply to the A7iv, which I confidently predict will put it much closer to the R6 in price than the S5. As for the R6 itself, I don't know how you think a camera which stops working so frequently 'crushes' one which just works, albeit you have to take more care with focusing issues. 

The R6 crushes it because Canon has a significantly larger user base, a vastly better lens selection thanks to seamless integration with EF lenses and class leading AF. Photographers buy more cameras than video centric users, and right now the L-mount options are limited and pretty overpriced compared to the competition. Panasonic was just too late to the game.

The a7c and a74 will easily co-exist at similar price points, those looking for something more compact will go with the a7c, those wanting dual cards and more controls will get the a74. The a74 inherits bits from other cameras already in production, development costs are much lower, my prediction is it won't see a significant price increase, maybe a bump to something like $2198, but with the way the market is cratering who knows. I thought the a7s3 would be more like 3800-3900 and its 3500.

I'm sure the s5 will make its users happy, but its still going to get smashed by Canon and Sony's ~$2k offerings.

Chris

Just wondering if any of you have seen some artifacts from your 10bit s1 vlog footage. From what I downloaded back then I am seeing color blotches on slightly underexposed skintones and surfaces, which makes me kind of worried about the s5's vlog footage since they are using the same codecs. Have anyone else experienced a similar artifact?

Untitled_1.2.1.png

4 hours ago, jack jin said:

Just wondering if any of you have seen some artifacts from your 10bit s1 vlog footage. From what I downloaded back then I am seeing color blotches on slightly underexposed skintones and surfaces, which makes me kind of worried about the s5's vlog footage since they are using the same codecs. Have anyone else experienced a similar artifact?

Untitled_1.2.1.png

Are you using Adobe or transcoding to ProRes with Apple software first? Adobe's interpretation of HEVC is broken. I can post comparisons if you're curious. I transcode to ProRes (in Finder, actually) first and it dramatically improves the HEVC image.