Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

17 hours ago, jack jin said:

Does the s5 has the ability to adjust the Noise Reduction and Sharpening in VLOG? From what I seen in some videos it seems like those options are greyed out. Which would be a massive bummer since I hate the aggressive noise reduction and sharpneing from these mirrorless cameras. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 4.37.02 PM.png

It's probably already "off" in VLog. That'd be the very reason is greyed out

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm really curious to see what the market tolerance is today for contrast hunting AF. Years ago, Lumix had 10bit recording to high bit rate codecs. This gave them leverage over their competition and compelled buyers to tolerate contrast hunting AF. We never wanted "Depth From Defocus"...but we bought it anyway to get acces to the other features.

Today?...that leverage has eroded. 10bit color and high bitrate codecs are now becoming standard issue on all the competition.

Lumix's most valuable features are no longer exclusive and we no longer need to  just "live with" contrast hunting AF like it used to be.

The market has changed drastically in 2020 and 2021. People are demanding crazy good AF much more today than they did 3 years ago.

10 hours ago, Aaron Smith said:

Hey there guys.  I'm gonna be in the market for a camera since I'm getting some inheritance (RIP Dad) and money is no object but I'm wondering how much better would this sort of thing be than a GH5s? Sure, the much larger sensor is an obvious win for a lot of things but I'm wondering how they'd compare for run-and-gun.  I'd be doing pretty basic stuff: dumb comedy sketches, shooting live music (when live music in the US happens again) and some guitar/bass/whatever playthroughs at home. I don't do photos.  I'm not sure I care about size because I have huge hands.

My other cameras are a Gx85 and a G85 if that makes any difference.  I'm quite invested in M43 at this point but not married to it.  I aim to have something that's gonna be easy to use by myself, without a crew or anything.  The limitations on recording for the S5 are disappointing but maybe that won't matter for my uses? Maybe I should be looking at the S1 or S1H instead? A

I dunno. Is there anything at all that a GH5s would do better than this thing?

Thanks.

GH5S has unlimited recording which is important if you are filming live music. No IBIS if that is needed which is a bummer. If you already have M43 lenses and cameras maybe it'd be better picking up a used GH5S or GH5 for now and wait until things settle down (Covid and the camera market!) before deciding on a change. I picked one up for 1290€ a year ago and you really can't go wrong at that sort of price because it's a great camera for video.

Sorry about your Dad.

34 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Does the OIS and ibis also work togheter if the lens is a canon EF lens? 

I don’t know the answer to this for sure, but suspect that with anything non-native, the answer is not as I am not aware of this happening with any brand?

5 hours ago, dgvro said:

Sorry, I forgot to explicitly say I don't mean anything to do with lens OIS whatsoever. Just IBIS - just in-body.

And I don't buy into the rated X.X Stops specs stuff since that just doesn't tell much of a tale at all for video, as I discovered with my XT4, it certainly has a bunch of "Stops of stabilisation", but their quantised and robotic way of moving the sensor ruins many of my video shots.

So I'm still sort of wondering - is the S5 better than the S1/H in this regard and were those any better than the GH5?

On 9/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, Geoff CB said:

At $2000 I would much rather buy a used S1 with it's better battery, EVF, and handling. The only thing it lacks is the 10-bit 60p. 

Edit: And unlimited record time and a full size HDMI instead of micro.  

It LOOKS REALLY good for hand held, MF shooters---checking all the boxes---including not requiring a fork lift to shoot hand held.

I agree with you entirely about the AF thing. If you want a point and shoot buy one---they're cheap. But if you want to shoot video make MF your priority. I'm just an amateur, but I shoot MF all the time. When I turn on AF I feel like I've lost what little artistic discretion  I have and put the camera in control.

For photos i can see AF being a big deal. But not for video. AF had made shooters too lazy and able to shoot indiscriminately. That can't be good.

1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

I'm really curious to see what the market tolerance is today for contrast hunting AF. Years ago, Lumix had 10bit recording to high bit rate codecs. This gave them leverage over their competition and compelled buyers to tolerate contrast hunting AF. We never wanted "Depth From Defocus"...but we bought it anyway to get acces to the other features.

Today?...that leverage has eroded. 10bit color and high bitrate codecs are now becoming standard issue on all the competition.

Lumix's most valuable features are no longer exclusive and we no longer need to  just "live with" contrast hunting AF like it used to be.

The market has changed drastically in 2020 and 2021. People are demanding crazy good AF much more today than they did 3 years ago.

Cliff, I think Panasonic still has great images, great color, a great LOG and LUTS, and the stabilization is still superior. I still don't care for Sony colors---even in what I've seen from the A7sIII. They're still on the bottom, with Panasonic, Canon, Nikon and Fuji on top--take your choice. This S5 looks great for hand held shooting. I'm really looking forward to using it.

I think Panasonic is positioned well among the pack....and I believe they can move up. If they did phase detect AF people would switch to them in droves. They're competitive in video even without it...and they don't overheat.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

WOW S1H is superior to S5, let alone much superior to Nikon and Sony's as expected : )

@Aaron Smith I'd rather just stay on MFT band or jump directly to S1H instead if money is no object. My condolences on your loss.

Not hard to agree based on the above video.  How does the S1 IN IS compared to the S1H??  

MET still has a lot to give for video.  It would be worth waiting for the GH6 announcement and see what Panasonic has to give before leaping to fullframe.

9 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Not hard to agree based on the above video.  How does the S1 IN IS compared to the S1H??  

MET still has a lot to give for video.  It would be worth waiting for the GH6 announcement and see what Panasonic has to give before leaping to fullframe.

I think the S1 ibis is the same as the S1H. too bad the S5 isnt quite there yet. allthough better then nikon an sony. 

No 4K 60 10 bit. No All-I. Instant show stoppers for me. This is before you get to the AF which just doesn't cut it these days. Plus the IBIS doesn't look great, given they're targetting this at vloggers with flippy screen and size, another miss.

I agree with Gerald Undone's assessment that it's a strange combo - will ultimately support anamorphic but no 4K 60 10 bit and All-I?

Missed opportunity all round. Strange choices by Pannasonic. As an aside the leaked specs didn't match up.

3 minutes ago, Davos said:

No 4K 60 10 bit. No All-I. Instant show stoppers for me. This is before you get to the AF which just doesn't cut it these days. Plus the IBIS doesn't look great, given they're targetting this at vloggers with flippy screen and size, another miss.

I agree with Gerald Undone's assessment that it's a strange combo - will ultimately support anamorphic but no 4K 60 10 bit and All-I?

Missed opportunity all round. Strange choices by Pannasonic. As an aside the leaked specs didn't match up.

It does have 4k 60 10-bit surely?