Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

so, what are the Video limitations so far? I saw a lot of overheating issues, do S1 and above have that as well?

What about the crop factors in various modes.

I am not sure why everyone is damning the S1, Pana has to bring most things from S5 to that camera, and continue sell it for a bigger price, as it should.

30 min limit on fullframe 4K and crop 60p from what I can see.  A chance it could overheat.  One reviewer got the overheat warning and this limited shooting after 30 mins.  

50p and 60p is a S35 crop.  It remains to be seen what rolling shutter is like.  The R5 and A7sIII have very good RS, which for the R5 is quite surprising.  R6 has awful RS.  

I think the charge for the vlog upgrade is a sticking point regarding the S1, compared to be included free with the S5.  Panasonic should just release it and end this silly charge for it and just include it with the next firmware upgrade.   

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does the s5 has the ability to adjust the Noise Reduction and Sharpening in VLOG? From what I seen in some videos it seems like those options are greyed out. Which would be a massive bummer since I hate the aggressive noise reduction and sharpneing from these mirrorless cameras. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 4.37.02 PM.png

24 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

so, what are the Video limitations so far? I saw a lot of overheating issues, do S1 and above have that as well?

What about the crop factors in various modes? 

Lesser EVF/Monitor, small HDMI, lesser water/dust proofing, smaller/older tech battery are not small things compared to the S1.

I am not sure why everyone is damning the S1, Pana has to bring most things from S5 to that camera, and continue sell it for a bigger price, as it should.

Of course maybe it is not (hardware) possible, we will see.

30 min limit on 4K 10-bit full frame. If you shoot 8-bit, unlimited recording. S35 crop if 4K 60p, slight crop in 1080p VFR at 150-180 FPS and loss of autofocus.

Adds 5.9K ProRes RAW out to Ninja V at the end of 2020.

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

This camera seems to be an image quality monster like the S1H, if the 150mbit 10bit codec is as stellar or the same as on the GH5. And, Varicam image quality. A few of us are still talking about autofocus a lot when we already could assume it would not be much better. That I find missing the point of this 10bit image machine.

This is a indie cinema filmmakers camera dream come true. A full frame GH5 with full VLog. A varicam for your backpack. I tested the high iso noise reduction of the S1 in its 709 modes and HLG 75mbit. It looks to my eye pretty much non existent on a big monitor. To users like Dennis alias deezid of course it is still there. And I am happy he has a keen eye on image quality like no other forum member. Btw, for 1999 EU you can get this cam with a Sigma 45 2.8 until September 30th in Europe. If no other caveheats showing up, perfect release, except micro hdmi.

Wait, what has Panasonic thought, no fun with external monitors! No fun with focus pulling. Wow, at the end of my rambling I must admit, due to the micro hdmi it is not the indie cinema filmmakers dream come true. GH5 still is. But it is an image quality lovers dream come true. Darn, no full HDMI. How, excuse me, silly does that look. Would have been a perfect release with one. Really dig that tasty image quality as shown in Potato Jets review:

The panasonis S1 has the exact same video image, the same full Vlog in the exact same 4k 10 bit 422 codec. 

The s1 has better Ibis, better battery life, better weather sealing, full size hdmi, better evf and unlimited recording in 4k 10bit 422.

You can buy it used (like new condition) for $1600 US pretty often. These usually include vlog. 

It's a little bit bigger than the s5, but for a solid filmmaking machine, a used s1 is probably the better option for an affordable cinema camera. 

There are firmware updates confirmed for the future too. So the s1's value as a filmmaking tool will increase. 

The s5 is an incredible camera though, it's insane we're at a point where cameras this good are releasing at these prices 

I'd hold off on buying a used S1 now.  Something tells me there will be a few more on the market soon and this will drive the price down further.

S5 has the same dust and water proof resistance as the S1, its just not as capable in freezing cold conditions according to reviews.  

Whilst improved AF is coming to the S1, I doubt it will be to the standards of the S5, as the camera hardware was designed for this improved AF, whereas the AF is just getting some software improvements.

Is the IBIS better on the S1.  I've seen different and conflicting reports on that, some say the same, others say not as good.

S5 will by the end of the year output 5.9k, albeit via a crap HDMI port.

If I bought either the S1 or S5, neither would be A cameras.  More B or C depending on needs.  So the limitations aren't a big deal.  I would need to see how the overheating performs in real world cases before deciding.  If it does manage 30 mins and can quickly record afterwards, then its not a deal breaker for me.

Literally the only feature I NEED panasonic to add to the s1 is frame guides for different aspect ratios. 

Filming in 2.35.0 shouldn't be this tricky on a $2500 that offers 10bit 422 vlog as a recording option. Because that tells me it's at least somewhat video focused. 

So yeah, frame guides would be amazing and probably pretty easy to add. 

Obviously I'll take anything if they want to add it. I just hope auto focus isn't all we'll be getting updated. 

In the UK there’s a main dealer S5 bundle for £2080 which includes 20-60mm lens, Sigma 45mm lens, extra battery and shooting grip. 
Given that the kit lens is over £400 more on its own, the value of the extras in the bundle makes the S5 body price around £1100.
This assumes that you want the two lenses, grip and battery of course. 
But does put it at the same price level as the Canon RP. 
How would everyone have reacted if the body only price had been this low?
Seems to me that Panasonic really wants to kick start sales of this. 

28 minutes ago, MicahMahaffey said:

Literally the only feature I NEED panasonic to add to the s1 is frame guides for different aspect ratios. 

No frame marks on the S1... okay, thats really annoying.  Price reduction or not, I'd pass on the S1.  I do a lot of 2.35 filming and its rather useful for me.

25 minutes ago, nashi said:

In the UK there’s a main dealer S5 bundle for £2080 which includes 20-60mm lens, Sigma 45mm lens, extra battery and shooting grip. 

Shame there isn't a bundle with a slightly better lens than the kit one.  Something with constant aperture would be better.

9 hours ago, Mustafa Dogan said:

Just watch Gerald's S5 review video after 23:00 and you will understand why I feel punked as an S1 owner. He says at the end "(S5) has basically rendered the S1 obsolote because the S1's advantages aren't worth $700" and that is exactly how I feel.

At least they gave S1 owners a firmware upgrade with the improved AF but this doesn't change how I feel.

It even has quite a few extras borrowed from S1H which S1's don't possess.

Gerald Undone's S5 review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hepPjpE0C8&feature=emb_title

Gerald said that? I have lost a lot of respect for him then. How is the S1 "Obsolete"? Is it no longer usable?

2 hours ago, jack jin said:

Does the s5 has the ability to adjust the Noise Reduction and Sharpening in VLOG? From what I seen in some videos it seems like those options are greyed out. Which would be a massive bummer since I hate the aggressive noise reduction and sharpneing from these mirrorless cameras. 

Apparently not. They should fix it via a firmware. 

34 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Shame there isn't a bundle with a slightly better lens than the kit one.  Something with constant aperture would be better.

I think i'll pass on the 20-60 wich seems great for a kit lens but I'll end up buying it with the cashback offer on lenses. 
I think buying it with the 16-35 f4 wich gives you a 600 euros cashback and still having the 45mm from Sigma for free, it's quite a good deal. If I need more range I still have my Panasonic 24-70 f2.8. 
The 16-35 f4 is not large by any means so it pairs well with the S5 in my opinion. My personal kit would be the S5 and those two lenses I think

2020-09-03 11_57_21-Compact Camera Meter.png

2 minutes ago, jack jin said:

This is the vlog menu on the s1, and how about sharpening? Usually you can turn them both down to -4 so i don't see how this shouldn't be adjustable on the s5.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 7.14.31 PM.png

0 NR and 0 Sharpening are the lowest settings on the S1 and S5 and mean off basically.
-1 NR is an S1H anomaly which produces the same result the S5 and S1 do at 0 NR.