Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

The lumanence spot meter at 10:42 should be in every camera, that looks great. 

Yeah the only reason I never went fuji is I don't enjoy their body designs, shallow grips and dials on top that I would never use. Never handled a XH-1 however so maybe that would convince me otherwise. 

They stole that from my S1H, along with the red recording border.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

You have had the camera for a year. That's a fairly long time when it comes to tech but, your camera is just as good as when you bought it. It's still a great camera. You have either made your money back on that S1 over the last year and if you haven't......then the S1 is still better than what you really need and will still serve you well. I know a few ACS (Australia) accredited DP's who still shoot on FS7's despite better cameras coming along since it's release many years ago.

Oh, and full articulation screen is only an advantage if you are a Vlogger. Personally, I hate fully articulating screens. If you ARE a Vlogger, don't stress, the S1 is still more than up to the job.

Established DP's don't just run out and always buy the latest and greatest and neither should you. Nor should you feel like you've been conned.

I really don't understand why many are always chasing the latest and greatest when what they have still does the job perfectly. The S1 is still great! 

People making a living from cameras are NOT upgrading or changing systems every year!

Invest in lenses!

You absolutely missed my point. But it's ok, I still understood what your point is and respect it.

Just watch Gerald's S5 review video after 23:00 and you will understand why I feel punked as an S1 owner. He says at the end "(S5) has basically rendered the S1 obsolote because the S1's advantages aren't worth $700" and that is exactly how I feel.

At least they gave S1 owners a firmware upgrade with the improved AF but this doesn't change how I feel.

It even has quite a few extras borrowed from S1H which S1's don't possess.

Gerald Undone's S5 review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hepPjpE0C8&feature=emb_title

@Mustafa Dogan That´s the point I was trying to make in this thread. Thanks for pointing out and pointing to Geralds review.

Interesting enough, to use the S5 as a cinema cam, micro HDMI becomes a bummer for certain purposes. I am using my S1 as BCam mostly to the C300ii which I rent. Using the internal monitor is a joy for that. Using it for dolly work or as an ACam on elaborated sets would require an external monitor as eyes get tired from small displays and operating plus focus pulling will suck, especially if doing it for days.

So the S5 is an image wonder with a true and astonishing cinema image but not a cinema camera per se. So close to being perfect. Full HDMI, Panasonic! S2 with the same specs plus swivel screen and 10bit for HD 120p and 40k60 for 2500 USD/EUR- perfect cam and full HDMI of course.:)

8 hours ago, icarrere said:

I would like to hear you speaking french my friend

Volontier! That's not fair to compare me with this guy. I've lived in France for over 20 years. My French isn't perfect either as I speak English almost all day with my family and for work. I was not trying to be condescending, put this guy down, or even be grammar nazi-  everyone needs to start somewhere, right? I'm almost certain he's got a decent vocabulary and writing skills, though I haven't seen any product. However, this isn't a matter of a cute accent that Panasonic has chosen for a product launch. He's incomprehensible and Panasonic knows it because they put the closed captions baked in. Poor guy must have been so stressed doing this too. His boss probably said he had to do it. Not trying to be a a-hole; I'm just speaking to the video they put out. Should we accept it all? Did you understand without the closed captions? If so, I'm clearly out of practice listening to Japanese people.

When people compare the IBIS in this to the S1/S1h, how does that compare again to the GH5? Were the S1 models a little worse at IBIS? I know people tend to say it's just never as easy with larger sensors. Is the IBIS in this up to par?

Since it sounds like the AF may actually compete with Fujis disappointing XT4 autofocus, I'm really wondering if I should regret having switched from Panasonic now. (I was a GH5 guy).

The XT4 is great but the failed IBIS and overheating/limits feel a bit more of a bummer to me now compared to a similar tier FF Panasonic camera.

29 minutes ago, dgvro said:

When people compare the IBIS in this to the S1/S1h, how does that compare again to the GH5? Were the S1 models a little worse at IBIS? I know people tend to say it's just never as easy with larger sensors. Is the IBIS in this up to par?

Since it sounds like the AF may actually compete with Fujis disappointing XT4 autofocus, I'm really wondering if I should regret having switched from Panasonic now. (I was a GH5 guy).

The XT4 is great but the failed IBIS and overheating/limits feel a bit more of a bummer to me now compared to a similar tier FF Panasonic camera.

It's better than the GH5. The GH5 had 5 stops with Dual I.S. 2, while the S1/S1R and S1H had 6.5 stops with Dual I.S. 2.

Take a look at my video testing the IBIS with the S1H and Panasonic 24-105 f/4. 

3 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

It's better than the GH5. The GH5 had 5 stops with Dual I.S. 2, while the S1/S1R and S1H had 6.5 stops with Dual I.S. 2.

Take a look at my video testing the IBIS with the S1H and Panasonic 24-105 f/4. 

Certainly not, I have the GH5, the A7III and I had the S1. The GH5 still has the edge for stabilization.  Maybe the S1H is better for IBIS, but not the S1. The A7III IBIS is the worst by a large margin.

8 minutes ago, Beritar said:

Certainly not, I have the GH5, the A7III and I had the S1. The GH5 still has the edge for stabilization.  Maybe the S1H is better for IBIS, but not the S1. The A7III IBIS is the worst by a large margin.

But which lens did you have with the S1? If you didn't have the 24-105 or the 70-200, then you didn't get to enjoy the benefits of Dual-I.S. 2. For whatever reason, the 24-70 f/2.8 did not include optical stabilization like the 12-35 f/2.8 on the GH5. The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 includes optical stabilization, but it doesn't work with the Panasonic Dual I.S. 2 system.

Andrew,

Thanks for your comments on the S5. I can't wait to see and read your final assessment of the S5.

Seeing all the reviews it strikes me the S5 is what the S1 should have been all along-----at least for video. Also, BIG NEWS: the peaking does not verschwand before my eyes. THANK YOU, Panasonic.

From the footage I've seen from reviewers on youtube the image quality and colors---skin tones--look lovely....Panasonic may be taking the cake for best color, just love it.

It's capabilities make, in my mind, a needed correction for the excessive number of frame rates in the S1H----plus, no fork lift is required  to shoot the S5. And it's getting RAW and Cinema 4k later this year? Is that right? 

Amazing.

Besides, the new battery I understand the S5 can also use the standard GH5 battery. Is that right?

For me, a fully manual video shooter, this is the most exciting offering of the season. It clicks all my boxes, and the few it doesn't click---well, they weren't all that critical anyway. I'm seriously considering going all in with Panasonic at this point.

so, what are the Video limitations so far? I saw a lot of overheating issues, do S1 and above have that as well?

What about the crop factors in various modes? 

Lesser EVF/Monitor, small HDMI, lesser water/dust proofing, smaller/older tech battery are not small things compared to the S1.

I am not sure why everyone is damning the S1, Pana has to bring most things from S5 to that camera, and continue sell it for a bigger price, as it should.

Of course maybe it is not (hardware) possible, we will see.