Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

@Geoff CB are we going to need a bigger boat? 😀

I’ve said it before but it’s always worth repeating and that is I have no brand loyalty as such but instead more of a commitment as it were to companies that produce what I need and keep on doing so.

Fuji for 7-8 years have earned my commitment and my least favoured brand has been Sony...but there comes a point when it’s hard to argue against capability as a total package. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

It's more the fact his tests are the usual smoothly run/walk towards/away from camera and not real tests. Gerald Undone did one and it looks as bad as ever unfortunately:

The lumanence spot meter at 10:42 should be in every camera, that looks great. 

Yeah the only reason I never went fuji is I don't enjoy their body designs, shallow grips and dials on top that I would never use. Never handled a XH-1 however so maybe that would convince me otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

@Geoff CB are we going to need a bigger boat? 😀

I’ve said it before but it’s always worth repeating and that is I have no brand loyalty as such but instead more of a commitment as it were to companies that produce what I need and keep on doing so.

Fuji for 7-8 years have earned my commitment and my least favoured brand has been Sony...but there comes a point when it’s hard to argue against capability as a total package. 

My doubt with Sony is: everyone have figured out good IBIS (not Olympus class, but good) except Sony.

Could it be really as some say - the mount is limiting it?

15 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

My doubt with Sony is: everyone have figured out good IBIS (not Olympus class, but good) except Sony.

I think so. They had to have a gyro instead of IBIS data for the FX9 because they couldn't have the IBIS mechanism and the electronic ND both fit in the mount. I'm actually really impressed with the Gyro data stabilization, and look forward to that being usable in other applications.  

Their "advanced" mode on the A7sIII seems great and I'm glad they have the gyro data.

From Gerald Undone's tests it seems that the IBIS is not as good as the Panasonic S1, so that is another strike against it for me. 

38 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Fuji can't seem to get theirs sorted either, its hot garbage with the way the image moves. Sony's gyro data post stabilization looks amazing from the samples I've seen. IMO that's why the a7s3 only shows modest improvements over other current Sony bodies, they're focusing on refining the new gyro stabilization system. 

10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Fuji can't seem to get theirs sorted either, its hot garbage with the way the image moves. Sony's gyro data post stabilization looks amazing from the samples I've seen. IMO that's why the a7s3 only shows modest improvements over other current Sony bodies, they're focusing on refining the new gyro stabilization system. 

Yeah, Fuji could improve too.

Gyro data looks really useful, but probably will crop the image somewhat in post, no?

Good release from Panasonic. Looks like a full frame GH5. The GH6 will have to be very special to stay relevant after all these new releases. 

Besides price, the A7SIII still has some big advantages. 

Im seeing it in this thread again, but what is it with people saying the A7SIII is a boring, underwhelming release? They gave us: 

up to 4k120 10bit full frame at full pixel readout, new PDAF, 240fps HD, crazy EVF, swivel screen, very low rolling shutter, higher DR, bigger battery, new menus, better button layout, full size HDMI... it goes on. Certainly not underwhelming or boring! 

I’m still using my EVA1 and GH5, both help me make very pretty pictures. I just wish one of them had 4k120fps 10bit with PDAF  for gimbal use. Hence, A7SIII is in my sights. 

2 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

And that for me personally is not a biggie as it seems ‘good enough’ for my pretty static needs. 

Gimbal-like, vlogging whilst walking or panning around stuff is not a need for me so suspect it’s OK though not class leading.

Same for the XT4. Looks pretty decent for my kind of static needs.

GH5 is still THE workhorse video camera, the S5 is full of video limitations, or at least, not as advanced as we hoped to be for a current camera.

Not able to punch in on a video tool, is just not good..what is the point to buy a small-ish camera, if the AF is not top notch and if you have to use an external monitor a lot of times.

I read the reviews and I can not say that this camera will drag me to the Alliance (even though it sounds like something out of Star Trek!).

I am not sure if this release is so significant to fight an R6 and vND EF adapter combo..

I have a white 70-200 collecting dust for a couple of years now, even being capable of using all those EF lenses being in milions of households (literally!) is a huge boost for R cameras, the vND is solving most of my issues, can use my EF vdslr suitcase as well "natively".

What are the messages they sent to S owners? why not just bring a huge upgrade to the S1, and release a 1699$ S5 camera, or even better an 1499$ one, to fight the RP and the such. They already had an 1999$ one! A7iii is already under 1799$ and I can see it go down more real soon.

I am not sure if Panasonic plays the game right. In sales I saw 4.7% for both Panasonic and Fuji, I can see Fuji with a few more lenses (newer designs, better video zooms) and a couple of bodies from now until next summer, go above Panasonic in total sales. Who would have thought a couple of years ago? I wouldn't, Pana has a strong video and camera department, and Fuji seemed like the odd one out, but that is not the case anymore.

I believe Pana needs a new GH sooner than later, or they are going to loose a lot of sales. Selling a "new" full frame mount is not an easy task. 

A7sIII is like the Canon camera we were all waiting for, after A7iii, Sony makes meaningful releases. They are more serious, they have confidence, they are established now. Alas, the Siii is not a hybrid camera, none will buy it for the photo side of things. I was just disgusted by earlier Sony releases, but I have to admit, they fixed most things now, not much to complain, maybe a bit better ergonomics. Is the A7iv going to be the best hybrid ever?

IBIS is so much overated..

I dunno..just thinking out loud.

5 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Alas, the Siii is not a hybrid camera, none will buy it for the photo side of things.

Actually, I might...

OK, in 2020, 12mp is not considered competitive, but you know what, when I was shooting my Nikon D3S’s circa 2009-2012, I thought the pictures they produced were everything I needed. And then some. And err... 12mp!

But I have to admit I’d need to test one (A7S3) to be totally confident because other than maybe a need for a lot of cropping (I don’t) I think 12mp probably would cut it for my wedding needs.

15 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Actually, I might...

OK, in 2020, 12mp is not considered competitive, but you know what, when I was shooting my Nikon D3S’s circa 2009-2012, I thought the pictures they produced were everything I needed. And then some. And err... 12mp!

But I have to admit I’d need to test one (A7S3) to be totally confident because other than maybe a need for a lot of cropping (I don’t) I think 12mp probably would cut it for my wedding needs.

I am not a mgpxls junkie at all (not a FF one either, actually I believe APS-C is the golden ratio) but straighten the horizon, fixing some lenes's imperfection will eat some of those megapixels fast!

I am not even sure 20mgpxls are enough (spoiled by NX 28mgpxls, since 2015), but maybe the R6 will be alright.

Sii has similar sensor, why do not try that one?

4 hours ago, John Matthews said:

As an English teacher and having spent years with students from Asia and Europe, this guy's English pronunciation is almost incomprehensible. They need to do better than that! The music makes it worse. Intonation is all wrong. Come on guys- delivery is important! The worst of it is that it was obviously rehearsed. Sorry for my rant.

I would like to hear you speaking french my friend

This camera seems to be an image quality monster like the S1H, if the 150mbit 10bit codec is as stellar or the same as on the GH5. And, Varicam image quality. A few of us are still talking about autofocus a lot when we already could assume it would not be much better. That I find missing the point of this 10bit image machine.

This is a indie cinema filmmakers camera dream come true. A full frame GH5 with full VLog. A varicam for your backpack. I tested the high iso noise reduction of the S1 in its 709 modes and HLG 75mbit. It looks to my eye pretty much non existent on a big monitor. To users like Dennis alias deezid of course it is still there. And I am happy he has a keen eye on image quality like no other forum member. Btw, for 1999 EU you can get this cam with a Sigma 45 2.8 until September 30th in Europe. If no other caveheats showing up, perfect release, except micro hdmi.

Wait, what has Panasonic thought, no fun with external monitors! No fun with focus pulling. Wow, at the end of my rambling I must admit, due to the micro hdmi it is not the indie cinema filmmakers dream come true. GH5 still is. But it is an image quality lovers dream come true. Darn, no full HDMI. How, excuse me, silly does that look. Would have been a perfect release with one. Really dig that tasty image quality as shown in Potato Jets review: