Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

20 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Press release already leaked. looking good.

https://www.l-rumors.com/press-text-panasonic-s5/

At $2000 I would much rather buy a used S1 with it's better battery, EVF, and handling. The only thing it lacks is the 10-bit 60p. 

Edit: And unlimited record time and a full size HDMI instead of micro.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I know that manufacturer's launch videos are notoriously poor, but the colours here are just not nice.

I also know that you can get pretty much whatever colour you like by pushing 10bit log around a bit. And I'm sure we'll see some pretty S5 videos too. But I can't believe that Panasonic let this one out the door looking like this.

"What you need to be very mindful of when using Panasonic Lumix S series cameras, and this includes the S5, is that the HDMI delay is horrible. I did a series of tests to work out the average delay when outputting over HDMI. The average latency taken from 3 tests was a whopping 221ms."   -Newsshooter.

OW. Deal breaker for me. 

3 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

"What you need to be very mindful of when using Panasonic Lumix S series cameras, and this includes the S5, is that the HDMI delay is horrible. I did a series of tests to work out the average delay when outputting over HDMI. The average latency taken from 3 tests was a whopping 221ms."   -Newsshooter.

OW. Deal breaker for me. 

😞 Really surprised they didn't improve this.

1 minute ago, matthere said:

As an English teacher and having spent years with students from Asia and Europe, this guy's English pronunciation is almost incomprehensible. They need to do better than that! The music makes it worse. Intonation is all wrong. Come on guys- delivery is important! The worst of it is that it was obviously rehearsed. Sorry for my rant.

So 60p is a 1.5 crop after all.  Not good.  30 min clip limit.  Not good.  Micro HDMI.  Not good.  Lower resolution screen and EVF not good.

Small size is nice for me, 10 bit 60p is a step up and AF whilst not on Canon or Sony level showing improvements.  Vlog is included.  Well done Panasonic.  Time to stop charging extra for it.  Some great specs in a small size.  Future Fireware update adds DCI 4K.. thats good.  But why wait...

Hard to know what I think of this camera.  Like the other fullframe mirrorless, it has some great features mixed with some notable misses.  

Not sure whether its worth the upgrade to fullframe or not.  I may hold off for now and see if a GH6 is announced by March next year.

4 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

So 60p is a 1.5 crop after all.  Not good.  30 min clip limit.  Not good.  Micro HDMI.  Not good.  Lower resolution screen and EVF not good.

Small size is nice for me, 10 bit 60p is a step up and AF whilst not on Canon or Sony level showing improvements.  Vlog is included.  Well done Panasonic.  Time to stop charging extra for it.  Some great specs in a small size.  Future Fireware update adds DCI 4K.. thats good.  But why wait...

Hard to know what I think of this camera.  Like the other fullframe mirrorless, it has some great features mixed with some notable misses.  

Not sure whether its worth the upgrade to fullframe or not.  I may hold off for now and see if a GH6 is announced by March next year.

And the IBIS is worse compared to the S1 ...

Things to be aware of from Newsshooter:

After being in the hot sun for 19 minutes and 45 seconds the temperature icon came on and it did stop recording.... Once I took the camera back indoors I could press record straight away and it started recording again. There wasn’t any downtime, but after I hit record again I got about 8 minutes and 30 seconds before the overheating warning came back on. The camera kept recording even with the warning on the screen until the 30-minute recording limitation was reached. Once it stopped recording the temperature warning turned off.

Now, one thing to note, you can’t turn Noise Reduction to -1 when shooting in V-Log on the S5, like you can on the S1H. On the S5 the lowest you can set Noise Reduction to is 0. Maybe this will change in the future.

there are no ALL-I modes

The autofocus performance does seem to be quite a lot better than the S1H, but in my honest opinion, it hasn’t improved to the point where it is comparable to Sony or Canon. In saying that, it is now at the point where continual autofocus is actually usable (in good lighting conditions), and the Tracking and Face/Eye/Body Detection work pretty well. I would actually use AF on the S5,

you can’t punch in to check focus when you are recording

After watching Max's AF test... The auto focus in full frame is your typical Panasonic AF, but the auto focus in APS-C is actually pretty good. It actually was quicker than the A7 III in some scenarios. It seems to be a processing issue in FF, since it's working harder. 

The mini HDMI and recording limits though are deal breakers for me.

Well I have only watched Gordon Laing’s two reviews and my verdict is it’s good...but probably not the camera for me.

I need an equally great hybrid, ie, have an equal requirement for stills and video.

Price is good. New lenses coming are good. Size etc, all good.

AF though still seems not quite there for video and just OK/reasonably decent for stills.

Small EVF is not great for me.

Not a full swivel screen fan either but that is not a dealbreaker.

Conclusion for me is that a 2021 pairing of Sony A7S3 for video and A74 for stills is probably my best bet, especially as I am looking for a minimum 3 year investment. If not longer.

So waiting to see what Nikon’s Z6S will be and Fuji’s XH2 and both I expect will be closer to my needs over the new Panasonic.

Like it, but think I’d get frustrated with it’s limitations quite quickly considering the imminent opposition.

Canon can go do one on sheer point of principle now.

3 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

After watching Max's AF test... The auto focus in full frame is your typical Panasonic AF, but the auto focus in APS-C is actually pretty good. It actually was quicker than the A7 III in some scenarios. It seems to be a processing issue in FF, since it's working harder. 

The mini HDMI and recording limits though are deal breakers for me.

It's more the fact his tests are the usual smoothly run/walk towards/away from camera and not real tests. Gerald Undone did one and it looks as bad as ever unfortunately:

Just now, Amazeballs said:

Wow! The new AF in APC-S mode is actually beating Sony A73! 😬 Did not expect that! (watch Max)

It gives me hope, that Panasonic CAN actually do a working AF if they keep increasing processing power. Wow. 

It did over a year ago in Richard Wong's comparison with the v1.2 on the S1. For controlled tests like this (not real-world) it performs well.

10 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Conclusion for me is that a 2021 pairing of Sony A7S3 for video and A74 for stills is probably my best bet, especially as I am looking for a minimum 3 year investment. If not longer.

I'm in the same boat, I'm going to rent it first but I'm really leaning towards long term going full Sony. I love my Nikon's but it has so many minor annoyances and they are never going to have a video camera to move up to or use alongside them. Sony has the lenses and the AF performance for photo and video. If the R5/R6 had knocked it out of the park I would have considered it but not anymore.