Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

https://www.l-rumors.com/last-minute-leaked-s5-info-future-update-will-come-to-support-anamorphic-shooting/

"– An update will come later this year for the S5 to give support to 5,9K 29,97p/4K DCI/3,5K Anamorphic via Atomos Ninja V recorder
– 2 new picture profiles: L Monochrome S and L Classic Neo
– V-Log and V-Gamut are included, no additional fees
– Panasonic will announce 7 (!) “affordable” lenses: 24mm, 35mm, 50mm et 85mm ( available in November < 1000€) with F1.8 aperture, a 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 zoom and a bright wide angle lens"

I personnally think this is insane for the price point to be able to record 6K out of the Ninja V ! Perfect B-Cam to the S1H!
The primes are all I've been expected for. Let's go Panasonic !!

PS : what's left for Panasonic S1 buyers? An firmware update for sure !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

https://www.l-rumors.com/last-minute-leaked-s5-info-future-update-will-come-to-support-anamorphic-shooting/

PS : what's left for Panasonic S1 buyers? An firmware update for sure !

From the FB group seems like there is firmware coming for S1 with improved AF and other stuff..?  So oldie is not forgotten.

Man I hope those 1.8 are $499 or less, $1000 is definitely on the high side.

If Panasonic prices the lens right they could really carve out a niche for themselves - Hybrid FF 4K with 'good enough' lens for most people at a lower price. There's no clear hybrid 'winner' amongst everybody else at the moment - could Panny sneak through middle? Lets find out!

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

of particular interest is the Fotodiox one which also has an integral variable ND in the mount.

For anyone with a lot of EF glass, thats an attractive option

Any info or reviews on this adapter are much appreciated. I'm an EF glass guy who's very happy with his speedboosted GH5 and carefully curated lens collection. I don't want to start from scratch again!

Fotodiox's list of possible side effects is kind of off-putting:

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/vizelex-nd-throttle-adapters/products/ef-lt-fsn-ndt

• Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon lenses and some third-party lenses (Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses).

• Third party lenses like Sigma or Tamron lenses have more issues with auto focus.

• Auto Focus can be slow or even not function with varied model lenses and even different lenses of same model.

• Longer focal length lenses tend to have more issues with auto focus with the auto adapter.

• Not all Canon compatible lenses work equally well, dependent on: internal lens motors, firmware versions, lens age, etc

• Continuous AF and video AF are not supported as performance may be unsatisfactory.

• Switching between image and video can cause camera to freeze.

• Switching f-stops in video mode can cause white flashes in video.

• Certain video modes can cause the camera to freeze.

There is also a model without ND for considerably less.

6 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Any info or reviews on this adapter are much appreciated. I'm an EF glass guy who's very happy with his speedboosted GH5 and carefully curated lens collection. I don't want to start from scratch again!

I should receive mine real soon (it is in transit), I will test it really soon cause I will have some run and gun shooting coming in the next weeks. I bought it purposely for these kind of situations when I want/need to go light and don't want to deal with my mattebox and if I need to be on a low profile to shoot on the streets. I have some variable circular NDS but I never liked circular VNDs always some issues and the fact to have several diameters for my lenses is problematic. My mattebox is quite light (Polarpro Basecamp Mattebox) but I want to be even lighter than this sometimes 😉 

37 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Nikon's 1.8 lenses are no compromise glass. Really hope Panasonic is wise and makes these cheap and with a FEW compromises. The system really needs low cost lens options.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic won't make a lot of compromises. Just looking at their new 20-60 lens it may be a changing aperture lens, but it's parfocal, no focus breathing and weather sealed with a good image quality. I think this will be the same for those primes. I'm really waiting for them. I'll buy 2 first and 2 others at the end of the year. Exactly what i was waiting in this system.

As an S1 owner, I feel punked because of this S5. I mean even the V-log L upgrade which S1 buyers had to pay, is now included for free. S5 has practically every feature of S1 in a lighter and smaller body plus a better full articulation. Only the EVF and LCD is substantially better in S1. Honestly, if I had known that just after a year this S5 was to be announced, I wouldn't have bought my S1.

For me, the bigger and way more important announcement is that the 1.8 compact primes are finally coming. I hope they will be smaller than Sony's FE primes. At least not larger.

My S1 will most probably going to be listed to be sold next week. If the S5 comes out good, the used market value of S1 will drop significantly this fall.

3 minutes ago, Mustafa Dogan said:

As an S1 owner, I feel punked because of this S5. I mean even the V-log L upgrade which S1 buyers had to pay, is now included for free. S5 has practically every feature of S1 in a lighter and smaller body plus a better full articulation. Only the EVF and LCD is substantially better in S1. Honestly, if I had known that just after a year this S5 was to be announced, I wouldn't have bought my S1.

For me, the bigger and way more important announcement is that the 1.8 compact primes are finally coming. I hope they will be smaller than Sony's FE primes. At least not larger.

My S1 will most probably going to be listed to be sold next week. If the S5 comes out good, the used market value of S1 will drop significantly this fall.

I think the S5 has only 5 stop IBIS without dual IS and worse electronic viewfinder compared to the S1. I was ready to buy the S5 but if the IBIS is not as good, I will stay with my GH5 for now ...

$1000 f/1.8 primes? I know pricing isn't based on competition and someone else's model since their costs are different than Sony and Canon and so on, but Panasonic is drunk with their lens prices. Meanwhile Sony has a range of great primes at 20/35/55/85 from $600-900, with the excellent 20mm being the most expensive. Its like they don't want people to actually buy the camera. They're not going to slow the Sony train with these and others like the $2300 50/1.4. At least there's Sigma with the excellent DG DN lenses.

1.8 have become the new 1.4 - but only in price. SMH.

Chris

50 minutes ago, Mustafa Dogan said:

You have had the camera for a year. That's a fairly long time when it comes to tech but, your camera is just as good as when you bought it. It's still a great camera. You have either made your money back on that S1 over the last year and if you haven't......then the S1 is still better than what you really need and will still serve you well. I know a few ACS (Australia) accredited DP's who still shoot on FS7's despite better cameras coming along since it's release many years ago.

Oh, and full articulation screen is only an advantage if you are a Vlogger. Personally, I hate fully articulating screens. If you ARE a Vlogger, don't stress, the S1 is still more than up to the job.

Established DP's don't just run out and always buy the latest and greatest and neither should you. Nor should you feel like you've been conned.

I really don't understand why many are always chasing the latest and greatest when what they have still does the job perfectly. The S1 is still great! 

People making a living from cameras are NOT upgrading or changing systems every year!

Invest in lenses!

11 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Established DP's don't just run out and always buy the latest and greatest and neither should you. Nor should you feel like you've been conned.

I really don't understand why many are always chasing the latest and greatest when what they have still does the job perfectly. The S1 is still great! 

People making a living from cameras are NOT upgrading or changing systems every year!

Invest in lenses!

This !! 👆

• Super Members
1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

Fotodiox's list of possible side effects is kind of off-putting:

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/vizelex-nd-throttle-adapters/products/ef-lt-fsn-ndt

There is also a model without ND for considerably less.

It is reminiscent of  the amount of exceptions in "What Have The Romans Ever Done For Us?" !