Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Haven´t you posted these exact words before? You really mean it and you love your S1. Want to get a second body? I might sell mine. cheers 🙂

I'm just saying that the S5 really isn't that much better. Everyone is talking like its this huge upgrade that somehow makes the s1 obsolete. 

While the S1 with VLOG goes for around $1600 like new. 

The s5 might be $2000 and if so, technically what are you losing for $400 less? 4k 60 10bit? a couple different aspect ratios? maybe marginally better AF? 

But what does the S1 have over the S5? Better build, better EVF, Better battery life, full HDMI out. 

I guess it's a no brainer if you prefer smaller cameras, in that case the S5 is 100% a better choice. But what if you like big cameras? 

Honestly the S1 and s5 seem like comparable cameras made for different shooting styles. 

Most retailers include the VLOG upgrade for free now anyway. 

I'm not in the market to buy another S1 because I already have one, I might potentially replace my a6300 with the S5 as my gimbal cam if the price is good. 

I'm only saying this because I noticed a lot of people saying the S1 in kind of pointless now, but really I don't think it is. Now if the S5 is like $1600 then yeah I think the S1 will sorta be pointless. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/30/2020 at 4:46 AM, SteveV4D said:

My issues with fullframe mirrorless is my frustration that there still isn't yet one to really set itself above the others.  Each model is close, yet each falls short in different areas.  Canon R5 and R6 suffer overheating, though have great AF, colour and IBIS.  Poorer DR for now.  The R5 promises Clog3 and internal Raw Light in future upgrades, which will be a huge advantage over the Panasonic and Sony.  Sony A7sIII has great lowlight, DR, AF, but colour needs more work and 12mbs for photos is a limitation if you do need HQ stills.  Still, its arguably the best fullframe mirrorless out there now for video.  I've never liked Sony; those I've owned have been very frustrating for me.  Not just for colour, but ergonmics too.  A few overheating problems on jobs have also not endeared me to them either.

Panasonic leads on video features, though the S1H is far better for video use than the stripped down S1.  It lacks a decent AF, and 60p is still cropped.  It could use an upgrade with 120fps 4K, uncropped 6K, and a decent AF to really dominate the market.  I'm intrigued to learn how the S5 sits with the S1 and S1H.

S5 could work well in my range of cameras for hybrid and run n gun work if it doesn't strip too much back from these cameras and it would be even better if it can improve in some areas.  Especially with competition from Sony and Canon.  

For video only, I'm more interested in the URSA 12k or the Canon C70.  But for hybrid, the S5 certainly has my attention.  It won't convert me into seeing the mythical fullframe look however. 🤣🤣

Get your hands on some S1H ProRes RAW. It's a sight to behold!

I think I owe a link to some footage. 😋

I'm going to try and do a stills shoot or something with a model this weekend, so I'll grab some of it in ProRes RAW.

10 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

What put me off from the S1 was the extra fee for the vlog update.  I use to defend it back when they did it for the GH4 and GH5 as I felt it right to pay for an extra function reserved more for video professionals.  Then they included it for free on one of their lower level cameras and it didn't sit right with me after that. 

In hindsight, I feel that at the time they released the S1 that they should have advised customers of the S1H upcoming release; I know some were caught out by this and invested in the S1 and then learnt a camera more suited for video was due afterwards, even if more costly.

Now a year later, they offer an improved S1 in the S5.  Feels like those early adopters for Panasonic fullframe didn't get the best deal.  

Not a concern to me as I didn't jump in.  But I might feel differently if I had.

I think anyone that grabbed an aww really had to know the S1H was coming. I mean come on, the S1 had tons of features that were missing from the GH5 with no V-Log upgrade. There had to be an expectation of more to come, but people had money burning a hole in their pocket and couldn't wait.

6 hours ago, MicahMahaffey said:

I'm just saying that the S5 really isn't that much better. Everyone is talking like its this huge upgrade that somehow makes the s1 obsolete. 

The s5 might be $2000 and if so, technically what are you losing for $400 less? 4k 60 10bit? a couple different aspect ratios? maybe marginally better AF? 

But what does the S1 have over the S5? Better build, better EVF, Better battery life, full HDMI out. 

I guess it's a no brainer if you prefer smaller cameras, in that case the S5 is 100% a better choice. But what if you like big cameras? 

Honestly the S1 and s5 seem like comparable cameras made for different shooting styles. 

Most retailers include the VLOG upgrade for free now anyway. 

I'm not in the market to buy another S1 because I already have one, I might potentially replace my a6300 with the S5 as my gimbal cam if the price is good. 

I'm only saying this because I noticed a lot of people saying the S1 in kind of pointless now, but really I don't think it is. Now if the S5 is like $1600 then yeah I think the S1 will sorta be pointless. 

Does it have a flip screen? as the S1 could not be flipped for vlogging or watching yourself. (for me it is kinda handy for testshots, so I dont need to call somebody in for test shots)

5 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

I think anyone that grabbed an aww really had to know the S1H was coming. I mean come on, the S1 had tons of features that were missing from the GH5 with no V-Log upgrade. There had to be an expectation of more to come, but people had money burning a hole in their pocket and couldn't wait.

You would think so, but I had several discussions on DpReview with users who felt the S1 was it for Panasonic fullframe video.  I argued there was going to be a S1H and was told it was unlikely, or not for another year at least.  So I think some were surprised by how quickly the S1H arrived.

S5 is rumoured to have uncropped 60p at 10 bit.  Big tick.  Flip screen.  Another big tick.  Smaller too, which is another big tick.  Its not my main camera, and I don't want it big.  I have my cinema cameras for that.  Hopefully improved AF as well.  

It will carry another year of technical development in it.  So may have some small improvements here and there.  

So definitely above the S1 in many key areas. 

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

S5 is rumoured to have uncropped 60p at 10 bit.  Big tick.  Flip screen.  Another big tick.  Smaller too, which is another big tick.  Its not my main camera, and I don't want it big.  I have my cinema cameras for that.  Hopefully improved AF as well.  

It will carry another year of technical development in it.  So may have some small improvements here and there.  

Where did you see mentionned that 4k60p is not cropped? 

I didn't see any mention of a crop, but I mean it doesn't necessarily translate as no crop. It would be nice though. 

8 hours ago, MicahMahaffey said:

Havent seen new S1 cameras with the Vlog update for that price, neither without the Vlog. Swivel screen on the S5 is super cool for me.

S5 does not have full HMDI?

2 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

yes thats exactly why I would want. + photography side should be amazing as well.

38 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Havent seen new S1 cameras with the Vlog update for that price, neither without the Vlog. Swivel screen on the S5 is super cool for me.

S5 does not have full HMDI?

I bought my s1 for $1600 with VLOG in "used like new condition" less than 100 shutter clicks on amazon. 

And the s5 has micro hdmi. 

9 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Because it breaks more easily or are there other downsides?

It breaks easily and requires you to have a cage for the camera to use it reliably without it falling out or getting pulled out easily. Full and even miniHDMI you can get away with just plugging it in sometimes but I never trust micro and don't want to lug a cage whenever I want to use and external monitor. 

Honestly hope the S5 releases for $1500 and kills used prices on the S1, that way I can pick one up with the XLR input. It really is a rock solid camera with no negatives for me except the lack of great video AF.... and I really don't use video AF right now, it would just be nice to have. 

ed2_1.2.1.jpg

ed_1.1.1.jpg

2 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Where did you see mentionned that 4k60p is not cropped? 

I didn't see any mention of a crop, but I mean it doesn't necessarily translate as no crop. It would be nice though. 

The renowned specs said fullframe as a description for the 60p.  You're right, its not definite.  They should though given competition.  

55 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

The renowned specs said fullframe as a description for the 60p.  You're right, its not definite.  They should though given competition.  

Yes they definitely should ! Would be so nice if it's uncropped. i get used to the crop with my S1H but uncropped on the S5 would be a nice addition as I will take it as my B-cam. Also I didn't see that it has a micro HDMi port, but as my S1H is the main camera, the atomos Ninja V will be 99% of the time on it and I'll use the S5 only with the tilt screen so no problem. I didn't get this excited for a camera release since a very long time (since the S1H last year maybe, even the A7sIII and R5/R6 didn't get me this excited).

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

It really is a rock solid camera with no negatives for me except the lack of great video AF.... and I really don't use video AF right now, it would just be nice to have.

Yup the S line are incredible cameras, the only real drawback is the lack of reliable/good continuous AF in video (as it's actually quite good and effective in stills mode). But other than that, great cameras.

https://www.l-rumors.com/panasonic-s5-spec-sheet-leaked/

"・If you set 4K 60p/30p/24p 10bit, you can record a movie for about 30 minutes, and under the recommended environment, you can resume recording immediately. With 4K 30p/24p 8bit and FHD settings, you can record without time limit (with temperature limit) and support long-time uncut shooting."

Here we go again... (albeit Panasonic is probably the best company regarding to thermals)

6 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

For me the S5 is dead to me because of the lens mount. The cost of the body would be reasonable all the way up to around $2300USD to me, but having to buy new glass just gives me a headache. That's why I would much rather that a GH6 were released....I'd be willing to buy a new body if that was the only cost. But for me to spend upwards of $6K (body plus a few lenses) it will need to have better AF, and be useable as a true hybrid camera like I thought the R6 would be. I don't know why I still somehow think Canon will "fix" the R6, but that is my hope.

1 minute ago, herein2020 said:

For me the S5 is dead to me because of the lens mount. The cost of the body would be reasonable all the way up to around $2300USD to me, but having to buy new glass just gives me a headache. That's why I would much rather that a GH6 were released....

It's normal that they introduce this body before any new GH body, it's a new mount, they need it to sell better than it already did. The fact that there aren't a lot of choice in lenses is not a reality, there is plenty of choice between Panasonic, Leica and Sigma (and others too) and you can adapt every possible vintage lens from the past. The real problem is that the sigma lenses are the only to be affordable, but they don't focus in a-fc wich is a bummer for a native lens... 

Until Panasonic release more affordable lenses like the three primes that will probably be announced soon, and until Sigma doesn't deliver lenses made specifically for L-mount that focus as well as panasonic ones, the problem will remain. 

And don't worry, a gh6 will come. No doubt. They just need to help L-mount sales to increase a bit before announcing it! 👍🏽