Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

On 8/26/2020 at 4:48 AM, Thomas Hill said:

This

On 8/25/2020 at 10:27 PM, Parker said:

I don't think we should be encouraging Panasonic to cripple their lower-tiered new releases in order to protect further on up the product line-up, because isn't that exactly the kind of corporate BS everyone is pissed at Canon for right now?

We should encourage Panasonic not to cripple the S1 with a paid update for VLog and 10bit. G9 has gotten a free 10bit update. Would be very cool if Panasonic could give us the same HD quality as the GH5 too. No necessity for less HD quality than on the GH5.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, MicahMahaffey said:

The pocket 4k produces an AMAZING image. Honestly stuff from that camera rivals actual cinema cameras IMO. I almost did buy one but decided to go for the S1 with vlog as my personal camera simply because of the full frame and overall ease of use. Plus I actually like the varicam look quite a bit, but my second choice was easily the pocket 4k. Which says a lot about how good I think it looks that I still considered it despite my dislike of MFT sensors. I was about to pull the trigger on a pocket 4k and a rig to help it be production ready which included a speedbooster. But after calculating the cost it just ended up making more sense to just get an s1. Which cost me $1600, came with V log and doesn't need a battery solution or speed booster. Not to mention Its Ibis and smaller file sizes.  Overall it ended up being much more affordable. But yeah, Its definitely a compromise as I'm losing RAW and the amazing BM image. But the S1 varicam colors in Vlog with 10bit 422 is sort of amazing too.   

Yep, both good choices.

All the work I do with the P4K is recorded ProRes anyway. I can't think of one paying job I've done with the P4K that has requested RAW so I don't think it's a huge loss IMO. 

If I'm shooting a personal project, I'll switch it to BRAW and it's nice having that flexibility in post but otherwise.....

The P4K does take some rigging to make it usable on longer form work. I was lucky that I had most of the required parts already so mine is either powered via V-Lock batteries, or NP-F if the job requires a smaller camera build or gimbal work.

Nothing wrong with your choice of the S1, it's definitely a better 'all rounder' and more usable out of the box.

1 hour ago, MicahMahaffey said:

A 10mm has a very drastically different look than 20mm. Infact, a 10mm 2.8 lens on a m/43 body ends up being a 20mm 5.6 "look". Which is much different in visual style. Which affects EVERYTHING about how the story is perceived by the audience and their emotional response. So in order to capture the shot the way I imagined it, Its a struggle. If not impossible. More often than not, id just scrap my original vision and work with what I have. When using full frame, I find im MUCH less likely to end up in this type of situation. 

If all I had was a M/43 camera then id use it and I doubt most people would see a big difference. But If I had the choice, I wouldn't go smaller than 35mm full frame. 

I used to exclusively shoot super 35mm with M/43 as B cams and never even considered larger formats. I was happy with super 35 and mft cameras together.  So obviously I get what everyone is saying. Full frame is not "needed" but neither is 4k. Neither is good low light, neither is a fast PC. You can technically make a film with a phone and still have a great image. If all you have is a mft camera then don't hesitate to use it. 

I want to clarify that just because you use a m/43 camera doesn't mean you'll get low res or bad low light. Because let's be honest, that's kind of irrelevant now with how good camera have become. I'm just saying that if I had to choose between 1080 or 4k id choose 4k 99% of the time.  just like id pick full frame. 

But part of picking tools is picking the ones that help get your vision or your clients vision captured the quickest with the least amount of compromises made. For me, full frame does that. So do things like really good IBIS, really good low light, high resolutions for reframing and so on. Funny enough I don't use auto focus for anything except gimbal work, even though it can speed things up, Its just not my style. 

One day I plan to buy a medium format video capable camera and then who knows, I might think full frame is too small 😉 

I obviously follow your point but isn't MFT enough and much budget friendly to free you out for sharing our precious resources anywhere else? ; )

My Samyang 12mm f/2.0 or even a Laowa 7.5mm f/2 (to match a f/4 aperture as 35mm equivalent) will perfectly fulfill the bill, trust me... ;- )

image.png.e8d8820129d7241990f1eeeb618e6fa2.png

image.png.82e217daf2387d448f645c5314257f66.png

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I obviously follow your point but isn't MFT enough and much budget friendly to free you out for sharing our precious resources anywhere else? ; )

My Samyang 12mm f/2.0 or even a Laowa 7.5mm f/2 (to match a f/4 aperture as 35mm equivalent) will perfectly fulfill the bill, trust me... ;- )

image.png.e8d8820129d7241990f1eeeb618e6fa2.png

image.png.82e217daf2387d448f645c5314257f66.png

Those are beautiful images and I know full frame isn't honestly needed. especially not for drones. But I will say my mavic 2 pro sensor is as small as id go on a drone. I think the reason I'm obsessed with full frame stems from my love for 70mm and IMAX.  I love full frame because it gets me that much closer to an IMAX "feel". As well as generally being more convenient. 

I will say this though, for any live events like concerts or weddings. I almost always go super 35 or MFT. 

For most (not all) narrative projects full frame is just aesthetically pleasing to me,  you can get a wide angle view without getting that wide lens look. This is even more true for 70mm. 

God.. I want a 70mm camera... 

Im a video arts teacher and my philosophy is any camera can tell nearly any story. So truthfully it doesn't matter. I just love big images 🙂 

You're in your right : )

I for once traded my yet new 5DII used mainly for motion picture and still part of my collection for a GH1 somewhere between the streets of Ljubljana and Zagreb because of form factor. Used mostly for stills, yeah, go figure! : D

Never looked back.

Love small devices, glass and pocket size included, hence my MFT love as well < 3

9 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

You're in your right : )

I for once traded my yet new 5DII used mainly for motion picture and still part of my collection for a GH1 somewhere between the streets of Ljubljana and Zagreb because of form factor. Used mostly for stills, yeah, go figure! : D

Never looked back.

Love small devices, glass and pocket size included, hence my MFT love as well < 3

It's really is amazing that we live in a time where cameras are as good as they are. There's something for everyone 🙂 

Even though I love big images and big cameras, I'm always carrying around my a6300 in my coat pocket because it's literally pocket sized and I love that. 

7 hours ago, MicahMahaffey said:

Those are beautiful images and I know full frame isn't honestly needed. especially not for drones. But I will say my mavic 2 pro sensor is as small as id go on a drone. I think the reason I'm obsessed with full frame stems from my love for 70mm and IMAX.  I love full frame because it gets me that much closer to an IMAX "feel". As well as generally being more convenient. 

I will say this though, for any live events like concerts or weddings. I almost always go super 35 or MFT. 

For most (not all) narrative projects full frame is just aesthetically pleasing to me,  you can get a wide angle view without getting that wide lens look. This is even more true for 70mm. 

God.. I want a 70mm camera... 

Im a video arts teacher and my philosophy is any camera can tell nearly any story. So truthfully it doesn't matter. I just love big images 🙂 

No disrespect to EOSHD, but 70mm sensor size? If you "need" this, I don't know why you're here. That's for high-end cinema. You're a video arts teacher... what level are your students? I'm sure you know this, but images don't get "bigger" with sensor size; that comes with the distance between the screen and your projector and usually this is fixed. I think it's important to distinguish between your needs and pure GAS.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

No disrespect to EOSHD, but 70mm sensor size? If you "need" this, I don't know why you're here. That's for high-end cinema. You're a video arts teacher... what level are your students? I'm sure you know this, but images don't get "bigger" with sensor size; that comes with the distance between the screen and your projector and usually this is fixed. I think it's important to distinguish between your needs and pure GAS.

I was being goofy. 

I also never said I need 70mm. 

Just that I like it 🙂

Also there's no reason anyone shouldn't admire a specific format. I like the look of 70mm, regardless of if I'll ever actually get to shoot in that format. 

Big image meaning how its captured, not displayed. 70mm footage looks different "bigger" than 35mm. Even on a smart phone screen. 

14 minutes ago, MicahMahaffey said:

Big image meaning how its captured, not displayed. 70mm footage looks different "bigger" than 35mm. Even on a smart phone screen. 

No it doesn't.  I think your mind is allowing you to see things here.. You're probably confusing aesthetics with the type of shots that 70mm are often used for.  Christopher Nolan loves 70mm, but on a small screen, its only in aspect ratio that leads you to see the differnce when he cuts between the 2 formats.  

Its the same people who say they love the fullframe look.  I've worked with fullframe and most of the time, there is no difference when cut with smaller sensor shots.  Only in cases of extreme depth of field at some angles can you see the effects of using fullframe.

45 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Little Photoshop size comparison between this and the S1H. Quite smaller !

S5-S1H.jpg

I just don't understand why no one does camera strap holders recessed like canon. I never use camera strap and those holders can become quite uncomfortable sometimes. Other than that seems really a nice camera. I wish it would be less sharp edgy and less retro style but it is nice nevertheless.

Looks awesome. Love that size comparison.

I think Panasonic's design and button layout are both nearly perfect. Love the WB, ISO, and +/- buttons. Love that front Fn button for LUT assist or lockdown IBIS mode (having two on the S1H is even better). I also really like those top mode dials and having C1, C2, C3 ready to roll - I program these as soon as I get a camera and it's a pain when some cameras make them difficult to access (EOS R...)

Looking forward to this. 

5 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

Little Photoshop size comparison between this and the S1H. Quite smaller !

S5-S1H.jpg

Holy shit, I thought that the scales were wrong, played with the file in Gimp but they are right.

Made a VERY crude size comparison with the GH5 (got a size comparison between the S1 and GH5 in Camerasize, and used the S1 mount as size reference - sorry for the quality) and...looks like that it is even smaller than the GH5.

s5-gh5.jpg