Panasonic S5 Entry Level Full Frame seems to be real...

jgharding

3 hours ago, amateurmike said:

How good are the S1/S1H at focus peaking?  I always think manual focus is good enough, but then I have the a6500, which has great focus peaking. If a camera doesn't have a good AF, then maybe focus peaking will not be good either?  Does anybody have any experience with both cases? 

I personnally find it quite good on my S1H. I feel it's the best focus peaking i've ever used on any camera i owned (several sony a7, several Panasonic GH, BMP 4k...).

I thought it would be hard to nail focus but with use it's actually very possible. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, amateurmike said:

How good are the S1/S1H at focus peaking?  I always think manual focus is good enough, but then I have the a6500, which has great focus peaking. If a camera doesn't have a good AF, then maybe focus peaking will not be good either?  Does anybody have any experience with both cases? 

I think it's great. I find that I have more trouble with my own vision than I did with focus peaking accuracy. When I use the EVF, nailing focus is quite easy. When I run on a tripod or gimbal, the internal screen, as good as it is, is simply too small, so I'm almost always using my Ninja V then anyways.

20 hours ago, Bandido said:

PDAF, PDAF, PDAF....That is what everybody wants to see. It is the year 2020 Panasonic. It is time to join Canon, Sony, and Nikon.

Personally I'd rather DPAF than PDAF, I can't stand those weird lines you get at higher ISO on PDAF sensors

19 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

I think it's great. I find that I have more trouble with my own vision than I did with focus peaking accuracy. When I use the EVF, nailing focus is quite easy. When I run on a tripod or gimbal, the internal screen, as good as it is, is simply too small, so I'm almost always using my Ninja V then anyways.

Yeah it's good peaking. I can't really focus pull that well on Ninja V due to the high HDMI delay. You need to rehearse pulls so live pulling i HAVE to do on the screen

If this is cheaper than the s1 then they really should add a firmware upgrade to the s1 to give it all the recording options like 4k animorphic 24p. 

4k 60fps 10bit 420. 

And have VLOG be free.

The Panasonic s1 isnt that old and as someone who literally went all in on an s1 last week specifically for video this announcement is kinda worrying me.. will the s1 suffer a price drop? Did I just get ripped off? Or depending on the new cameras price, will the s1 get an update to match specs? 

This is my first time using panasonic as I've switched over from sony so I'm not too sure how they handle these things as a company. 

1 minute ago, MicahMahaffey said:

If this is cheaper than the s1 then they really should add a firmware upgrade to the s1 to give it all the recording options like 4k animorphic 24p. 

4k 60fps 10bit 420. 

And have VLOG be free.

The Panasonic s1 isnt that old and as someone who literally went all in on an s1 last week specifically for video this announcement is kinda worrying me.. will the s1 suffer a price drop? Did I just get ripped off? Or depending on the new cameras price, will the s1 get an update to match specs? 

This is my first time using panasonic as I've switched over from sony so I'm not too sure how they handle these things as a company. 

I honestly would return it if you can. You can just repurchase it if the S5 isn't better. 

On 8/20/2020 at 2:35 PM, Cliff Totten said:

I'm just tired of everybody saying

"Panasonic is stupid"

"Panasonic is arrogant"

"Panasonic doesnt understand how PDAF works and why is great"

"Panasonic thinks DfD is better than PDAF"

Ugg....Panasonuc being stuck without PDAF has NOTHING to do with that crap.

People also make this RIDUCULAS statement"

"Sony imaging and Sony Semiconductor are two SEPERATE companies.....and Semiconductor has ZERO concerns with the heath or competition if imaging'

I mean, this one guy told me "Semiconductor just wants to sell sensors, they don't care at all if Imaging dies or not"

Who believes that??? 

Whoever is saying that... ask them which camera they specifically like... then ask if that camera is on Netflix's approved list. Then if they dont know.... point it out that the Panasonic S1H is.... who is stupid now?

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you miss the Sigma L mount 85mm F1.4? Looks great.

Yup i saw that Sigma but as much as I like Sigma, their latest offerings for L mount is kind of hit and miss regarding autofocus. I know this one is a DN lens so built directly for mirrorless cameras, but I have to see if the autofocus is actually usable or not. I'm using a lot continuous af on my S1H for stills and i'm happy with it, works well with the native 24-70 f2.8. 

And also from manual focus point of view, panasonic lenses allow linear focus, and even the focus throw. I really like it. 

So i'm hesitant to buy other brands than Panasonic. 

I wait to know more about the new panasonic primes (price, size, etc) before making my choice. 

I really want this camera to be good.  I want to move on from the GH5 , mainly because it's not meeting my demands for photography when it comes to the lens selection (I want f/2 or better equivalent DoF from wide to tele which is easy on FF but only very limited possibility on m43).

So far the S5 looks impressive, I'm just not impressed with the EVF being such a step back to lowest current consumer levels (so not so great for manual focus) in combination with them staying with DFD auto focus (which in all likelihood will again be unusable for anything but AF-S on non/slow moving targets).

Makes me wonder how much cost saving they realize compared to just slapping in the EVF from the GH5 / G9? 50 EUR per camera? I would definitely pay a 100€ premium to have a better EVF. The high quality EVF of the S1 line was one of the main reasons I considered it but it's just too big/heavy for my ideal do-it-all system in combination with the lackluster lens ecosystem.

4 hours ago, Phil A said:

So far the S5 looks impressive, I'm just not impressed with the EVF being such a step back to lowest current consumer levels (so not so great for manual focus) in combination with them staying with DFD auto focus (which in all likelihood will again be unusable for anything but AF-S on non/slow moving targets).

I personnally use afc all the time for stills on my S1H and so far 90% of my pictures come in focus. Even when my son is running it works well. Unfortunately it's not as good for video and even when it keeps tracking the subject, it's not very smooth and quite distracting. But for stills it's actually pretty nice (and i'm a former Sony and Canon user so I can compare with their af system). 

S1 with out the VLOG and 10bit update becoming the stinker in the lineup. Not an exiting purchase I did, compared to the upcoming S5. After one and a half year after its release it is already very unattractive compared to its follow up. Selling a S1 now to video lovers feels like cheating them. @Andrew Reid Why should one buy the S1 for 10bit video these days? 200 EUR for the software update of the S1 while the S5 already has it plus 4k60 in 10bit! I´ve been a Panasonic fan for years, big time. Not anymore by heart but maybe by pragmatism due to their nice cams. Just not by heart anymore. I know cameras a banal to be worrying about. But hey, this is a camera forum and a place of joy and sometimes lamento.

so now the S5 has a compatible battery with the gh5 which is great because i have a GH5 but i wanted to get rid of the GH5 because i also have an S1 and thinking of getting an S5 and i still have two battery types what the hell Panasonic. 

we need one battery type!

I hope they give us S1 owners an firmware update because it doesn't look like a good option with an S5 here. Does it feel like the S5 make the S1 look like a rip off

As an S1 owner, I'm still perfectly happy with my camera. The addition of 10-bit 60p is just not that big of a deal for me -- an incremental update, at best. The 8-bit holds up just fine, I use it on every shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if the S1 does get a firmware update to bring features into parity, but even if it doesn't, I don't think we should be encouraging Panasonic to cripple their lower-tiered new releases in order to protect further on up the product line-up, because isn't that exactly the kind of corporate BS everyone is pissed at Canon for right now?  The S5's reported anamorphic modes sound cool, I wish I was able to take advantage of them anyway, but let's be honest, I'm not going to be shooting with real anamorphics anytime soon anyway. 

Technology always moves onward and upward, and better tech and features trickles down to newer, lower models, that's just the way it is. And, despite the addition of the S5, the S1 is still going to have a much more robust, abuse-proof body, and that big, beautiful, detailed EVF, and still have class-leading DR. I am looking forward to hopefully picking up an S5 for for a smaller, lighter b-cam, perhaps to replace my GH5. 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Marty, Panny once Panny forever : )

There's no other similar brand anywhere else.

They are synonymous of motion picture shooting itself.

Happy camper since 1986,

E :- )

Wowsers! 1986, VHS heaven:) Yeah, I love their cams, Got five of them, GF1, G6 (stopped working, did great being my first digital video camera), G7, GX85, S1. Now you Gods at Panasonic, give my GF1 that freaking VLOG update:) @Andrew Reid Do you see good reasons to not to sell the S1 and get a S5. And, do you see a good reason for new buyers to get a S1 rather than the S5. Your word on this would be super cool! Thanks!